Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Life on "The Pale Blue Dot"

Patterson, sharing Tapping's concern, says: "Solar scientists predict that, by 2020, the sun will be starting into its weakest Schwabe cycle of the past two centuries, likely leading to unusually cool conditions on Earth."

I suspect that many global warming alarmists are well aware that time is running out for them. If nothing is done and global temperatures decline in coming years--as they inevitably will, the only question is when--the alarmists will have been refuted. On the other hand, if they succeed in pushing through industry-destroying caps on carbon emissions around the world, and especially here in the U.S., they will take credit for the cooling when it comes, claiming it as vindication of their theories.
    oh well

I've got problems with the article you linked:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ed-pearce.html

...in that it's from '94' and that is way old on these issues.

Also, from the article...
    Clouding the issue The assumption that aerosols always cause cooling may not be quite correct, says Jean-Pierre Blanchet, a physicist at the University of Quebec in Montreal. In the dazzling white of the snow-covered Arctic, where most of the sunlight is reflected, such notions can be turned on their head.
    What, for instance, will be the impact of the infamous Arctic haze caused by air pollution as it wafts over the ice from Russia? The dominant direct effect is not to reflect incoming sunlight, but to trap longer-wavelength radiation on its way back out. In spring, Blanchet argues, Arctic haze should cause a 1 to 2 °C warming - a prediction borne out by temperature data from the high Arctic.
    And what of indirect effects through cloud formation? Sulphate particles do not always become new cloud condensation nuclei. In the Arctic, researchers have observed that they sometimes simply wrap themselves round existing nuclei, making them bigger - though they don't yet know why. Whatever the reason for this behaviour, it creates clouds with fewer but larger droplets. They eventually fall under their own weight as rain, reducing the concentration of water vapour in the atmosphere. Because water vapour is a greenhouse gas, the result is cooling.
    From issue 1933 of New Scientist magazine, 09 July 1994, page 37
    ...so the topic of polar icecap melting - a topic not addressed anywhere in the article - is left open as distinctly possible even if the other stuff about cooling is valid.

If the polar caps are melting, as all data indicate they are, then the projected global crisis situation exists regardless of whatever preformed conservative/political beliefs you may be bringing to the table.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 05-20-2008 at 12:30 PM.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

i beleive it's not happening , thats all. everybody has there choice on this. the planet changes all the time. kinda like the EPA pushing recycling down our throats.
    oh well

Quote Originally Posted by kenf
    i beleive it's not happening , thats all. everybody has there choice on this. the planet changes all the time. kinda like the EPA pushing recycling down our throats.
    ...said Puff the Magic Dragon.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Another Interesting Film about everything :)

This is a very interesting film. Watch it with an open mind. And, if you are religious ... please don't be offended. I learned alot but hope it isn't all true.

It's about 2 hrs long. I liked Parts 1 and 3 the best. But, Part 2 is interesting too although it's hard to believe.

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/index.html

Enjoy!!!!! I'm interested in hearing what ya'll think about it all.