Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: c4-5 nightime safety

Quote Originally Posted by trainman
    Even having someone physically present doesn't always work. I have a night nurse/assistant that is supossed to stay up all night with me. However, she sleeps nearly every night with me unable to wake her up. I am able to breathe on my own quite well, but not the way I sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by trainman

I wish their was a full proof system, but have yet to find it.
    hey trainman

I had a really big problem with this last year. I discussed it with the agency providing my nursing care and their solution was to have their on-call supervisor come to my apartment to do "spot checks" at random times during the night. Anybody who worked the overnight shift had to sign an agency form saying they would be fired on the spot if caught sleeping. The agency considered it fraud for the overnight staff to be sleeping since they were being paid their full wage to work my night shifts and stay awake (as opposed to shifts with other clients where they could sleep and were paid considerably less). From what I understand this was a problem not just for me but for others too.

This worked for a bit until the agency got lazy about monitoring one person we were almost certain was sleeping most of the night. The threat of being instantly fired apparently didn't worry her. So my parents started dropping by at night. One night my dad came and found the person sleeping. After it took him 10 minutes to wake her up, we had to have an emergency meeting with the agency supervisors and she was fired. But then like you, it proved difficult to find a reliable replacement and my family ended up needing to cover many night shifts.

Since I have been home this second time, I haven't had any problems with my night staff. However now I suspect that one who works days sleeps if I nap during the afternoon. So now that has to be dealt with. But if she is sleeping, she’s doing a good job of covering it up and so far we haven't caught her in the act. I am hoping I am wrong about her sleeping but fear I am not.

One of my night staff did recently admit she was having a hard time staying awake especially between 3 and 5 am. So we have been working with her to come up with things she can do to stay alert. Pretty much that means giving her some leeway to do “non-work” things at work that I don’t allow others to do such as bring movies on dvd or allow her to use a spare laptop to surf or play games. This may come back to bite me, especially if the others working here find out about it. But so far she hasn’t fallen asleep so I am going to continue to allow it.

Thinking that my night staff sleep and what the consequences of that might be scares the hell out of me L I hope you find a solution very soon.

PS Somebody from here once suggested I mount a cattle prod on my power chair or make everybody wear an electric dog collar/electric shock device along the lines of Bob's suggestion. Believe me there have been times I have been very tempted...

**I should note that I have only had problems like this with a very few of my nursing staff. Most have been very professional and I have had few if any complaints about most. Unfortunately the bad issues have been really bad though.
    Last edited by orangejello; 05-13-2008 at 02:53 PM.

How about a little video camera or two to monitor the staff? Or just dummies to make them think they're being monitored?
    'Tis a shame that kind of thing may be necessary, but it may be a life or death situation.
    - Richard

Any ECU recommendations? I need one for my room and living room. I presume they're an out of pocket expense?
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

C3 quad complete, and I happen to have ECU is made by Quartet, I can turn the lights on and I can make a phone call change the TV channels adjust the bed, set off call bells. It was worth every penny, purchased the unit 1997 still working. No matter what I still have people working 11:30 p.m. until 5 a.m. they get to sleep in a reclining chair 5 feet away from my bed. I get turned every two hours do my range of motion in the middle of the night. I have less spasms at that time. But in all honesty it's not safe to be home alone in bed. During the day I will send my girls food shopping but I am in the wheelchair with a Door open so I can get out. When my girls leave 5 a.m. my girlfriend is in the other room in her bed, call bell in her room in case of emergencies. I sleep better during the day in my wheelchair, feel more secure in case something happens at least I happen to be mobile. Wish I could stay in one position longer, going on 12 years.
    keiffer66

I stay by myself all night. c7
    I have my cordless phone beside me, a corded phone in case of power outage, and an emergency button " help I fell & can't get up" if all else fails.
    mimin I have a remote to my a/c, and ceiling fan, and blow fan, my hosp. bed, and tv & dvr.
    I have 3 jugs of water, medicine (daily & prn), and a snack.

I am a C4/5 quad as well, and I have roommates who are usually around at night in case something happens. I have a room monitor and one of them takes the other, so if I need something I can just call out and they can come down. However, I always feel bad and they have to hear the random junk through the monitor (my potential snoring, the fan blowing, static, etc.) even if I don't need anything.

I've heard people mention (and seen in this post) that there are devices that you can buy that just send some sort of signal, probably a beep, if you need something. Preferably even voice-activated because I would have a very tough time hitting a button while I'm laying in bed. Does anybody have any experience with this? Can you get some that don't require getting a whole ECU setup?

One of the simplest systems is to use a baby monitor. They are inexpensive, and you don't need to trigger anything. Most have a range of about 150 feet, so I have even seen people use one with the next door neighbors or people in the next apt. A downside can be lack of privacy and that they hear your TV or radio whenever it is on as well.

You can also get an EZ Call with the battery powered alarm. With this you only have to move your head or hit it with an arm or elbow: http://www.sammonspreston.com/Supply...p?Leaf_Id=4130

(KLD)

I'm never alone at night & use a cordless doorbell when needing help. Depends on level of movement but the whole surface area is a button & doesn't take much force to push with the receiver upstairs were help can hear it.
    I also always have my cell phone but often find it hard to use mid spasms etc... In NZ there are also a safety alarm system available which is a waterproof watch or necklace button device which is linked to St Johns our ambulance service & when activated they ring, if no answer someone is despatched to check to your address - not too expensive & is government funded in most cases. Used for elderly people too living alone.

klj
    The important thing in life is to have great aim, and the determination to attain it.

I was given this system from shepher's that plugs into the socket in my moms room and I have a big yellow button that was placed next to me in bed that required no fingers to press, just would hit with the back of my hand, it would then sound a signal that would wake my mom up to come turn me. I don't need it anymore though. Now I sleep on my side all night and just alternate sides every other day. That works best for me. I was also given a voice activated phone and a remote with that i just press and use to call preprogrammed numbers if needed. When the phone rings, I just say hello and it picks up.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffie
    I was also given a voice activated phone and a remote with that i just press and use to call preprogrammed numbers if needed. When the phone rings, I just say hello and it picks up.
    Sounds interesting, I'd like to know more about it.