Thread: Need help with job interview today!

Need help with job interview today!

I applied for a really great job and got a phone interview for today. When do I "mention" that I am in a wheelchair or do I just wait until I get an in-person interview and let them figure it out when they see me.

If I am asked for an in-person interview on the phone today do I mention I am in a wheelchair to make sure I can get into the interviewers office or so they can plan the interview in an accessable location. The interview is with a very progressive company that is housed in a brand new building. I know that it is handicapped accessable but sometimes peoples offices get cluttered etc.

This is my first job search experience since I have been in a wc-I have not learned all of the etiquette yet.
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

I would not mention the chair at any cost unless you have no other way of finding out if your interview place is accessible.

If forced to mention it, I'd mention it at the end in passing on the phone.. but my experience is that they find a way not to proceed with the interview.

Show up looking professional and the chair doesn't matter! Good luck!!!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

My experience has been slightly different than Lynnifer. I do not mention my being in a wheelchair until they want to set up a face to face interview. At that time, I ask them if the location is accessible. I look at it as I did well enough on my merits that they want me to come in for an office interview. I rather they know that I am in a chair than show up and find out it is not accessible. Then it seems like I was intentionally hiding the fact that I was in a chair. I am not ashamed that I am in a chair...so why hide it?

I look at it in this way...they wanted to interview me before they knew I was in a chair...so my metnioning my chair to them should not deter their want. Afterall...it is my knowledge that their after...and not my leg power!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

I wouldn't mention it on the phone unless you believe you'd feel even more awkward waiting until a face to face.

Personally, I've just waited to see how the person sounded and if I felt comfortable I told them. If I was uneasy I didn't. Sometimes I was right, sometimes wrong...

I tend to prefer an honest and open approach.

Definitely don't mention until you are scheduled for face to face.

I would not mention it. They're hopefully interested in your skills, abilities, experience and education, not your mode of mobility.

Best of luck to you with the interview.

So, how did it go?
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

My phone interview went very well. I will find out about a face to face interview tomorrow. I think I will get one as the interviewer seemed interested and positive at the end of the conversation...always good. I did not need to mention the chair. I have since checked the building and it was quite accessible. I will probably mention it in passing before the inperson because I don't want it to seem like I am hiding it or whatever.
    thanks for your help!
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

Sounds like you handled it perfectly. Good luck!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12