Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Social security benifits when father tuns 65

  1. #1

    Social security benifits when father tuns 65

    I heard something over the weekend about when your parents turn 65 if you were disabled while under 18 the disabled child can get benfits when the parent turns 65 no matter if they claim them or not and it goes for life....anyone heard of this?

  2. #2
    I'm not sure of exactly what you mean by the expression "... if they claim them or not..." But yes, it's true that an adult who was disabled before the age of 22 can claim disabled "child" benefits based on the earnings record of their parent. This is described on the Social Security site:

    Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits for adults disabled since childhood

    The SSDI program pays benefits to adults who have a disability that began before they became 22 years old. We consider this SSDI benefit as a “child’s” benefit because it is paid on a parent’s Social Security earnings record.
    For a disabled adult to become entitled to this “child” benefit, one of his or her parents:
    • Must be receiving Social Security retirement or disability benefits; or
    • Must have died and have worked long enough under Social Security.
    These benefits also are payable to an adult who received dependents benefits on a parent’s Social Security earnings record prior to age 18, if he or she is disabled at age 18. We make the disability decision using the disability rules for adults.
    SSDI disabled adult “child” benefits continue as long as the individual remains disabled. Your child does not need to have worked to get these benefits.
    I hope this info is helpful to you.

  3. #3
    From what little I know......... the child (whom has NO WORK HISTORY) can access the parents FICA and thus apply for SSDI. The child must have been "Injured prior to 18" (I am not to sure on the 18 years old) and have no work history (FICA).

    I am not too sure on the exactness of the "System" because I have talked with employee's of the SSA and they have less than NO clue (WRONG INFORMATION).

    You should talk with a CWIC (Community Work Incentives Coordinator ) or AWIC (Area Work Incentives Coordinator). I think the AWIC works for the SSA and sometimes the CWIC is a contractor for the SSA. If some one, in the message boards, would correct my information I think it will help out redroc2 better.

Similar Threads

  1. Wiped out by the wait
    By Max in forum Ability & Disability News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2003, 10:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts