Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Epidural for Surgery with Syrinx Safe?

Is Epidural for Surgery with Syrinx Safe?

Help please Wise & nurses, I am scheduled for a possible Lobectomy on the 20th. I went to Pre-admit today and the nurse told me I was getting an epidural. I didn't think anything at the time, but when I left hmmmmm...with a synrix? I had that laminectomy 5 yrs ago that reduced the size, but it is still there, it was from well into the brain stem to T6. It was 15mm before surgery, after surgery 6mm, and last CT Aug/07 showed 6mm still.

Question being, is this safe, seems to me, it shouldn't be done, obviously my fluid flow is still not proper, and could it make it worse? I've found a couple papers (chari) but not much.

Hmmmmmmm.... Any papers on the subject?

Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by monkeygirl
    Help please Wise & nurses, I am scheduled for a possible Lobectomy on the 20th. I went to Pre-admit today and the nurse told me I was getting an epidural. I didn't think anything at the time, but when I left hmmmmm...with a synrix? I had that laminectomy 5 yrs ago that reduced the size, but it is still there, it was from well into the brain stem to T6. It was 15mm before surgery, after surgery 6mm, and last CT Aug/07 showed 6mm still.

Question being, is this safe, seems to me, it shouldn't be done, obviously my fluid flow is still not proper, and could it make it worse? I've found a couple papers (chari) but not much.

Hmmmmmmm.... Any papers on the subject?

Thanx
    MG,

I am totally confused. Are you sure that you typed it correctly and that you are getting a *lobectomy*. If it is not a typographical error, let me urge you to make sure that you have a second opinion. Lobectomies are almost never carried out these days. Epidurals are not used for lobectomies.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    MG,

I am totally confused. Are you sure that you typed it correctly and that you are getting a *lobectomy*. If it is not a typographical error, let me urge you to make sure that you have a second opinion. Lobectomies are almost never carried out these days. Epidurals are not used for lobectomies.

Wise.
    Yes Wise, Lobectomy, I guess I should have given you some background, sorry. I have 5cmx5cm mass in my left lower lung and it showed low to moderate grade hypermetabolic activity on the Pet Scan. So I'm having a Thoracotomy and a possible Lobectomy of my lung if it's cancerous. What next hey.

Sorry about that as soon as I read your post I thought of Jack & One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest..lol..my fav movie of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeygirl
    Yes Wise, Lobectomy, I guess I should have given you some background, sorry. I have 5cmx5cm mass in my left lower lung and it showed low to moderate grade hypermetabolic activity on the Pet Scan. So I'm having a Thoracotomy and a possible Lobectomy of my lung if it's cancerous. What next hey.

Sorry about that as soon as I read your post I thought of Jack & One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest..lol..my fav movie of all time.
    Aahh... Thanks... I participated in the last frontal lobectomy carried out in the United States in 1978. So, it was a shocker when I read that you were going to have one. I did my psychiatry rotation as a medical student in the VA (Menlo Park) ward where One Flew over a Cuckoo's Nest took place.

The mass sounds worrisome and I am glad that it is being removed. I think that an epidural is reasonable for somebody who has spinal cord injury. They are likely to have you heavily sedated and my guess is that you are unlikely to hear any jokes during the surgery. The reason why I like the idea of an epidural is because it really does reduce spasticity and spasms during surgery. My own preference is epidural anesthesia and sedation.

Wise.

ok wise, you are really confusing me here...lobotomy or lobectomy?? i say tomato, you say tomAto....

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    ok wise, you are really confusing me here...lobotomy or lobectomy?? i say tomato, you say tomAto....
    Cass, lobotomy means to cut the lobe. Lobectomy means to remove the lobe.

I guess that I know of at least five "organs" with lobes in the body (the brain, the lung, the liver, the pituitary, and the thyroid gland). The pancreas has a head and tail. I don't think that the adrenal gland has lobes... and the kidney. spleen. and intestines do not have lobes.

I just had visions of MG's brain in mind...

Wise.

ok wise, quit messing with my brain glad that's off my mind so i can sleep...
    Last edited by cass; 05-08-2008 at 05:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young

The reason why I like the idea of an epidural is because it really does reduce spasticity and spasms during surgery. My own preference is epidural anesthesia and sedation.

Wise.
    Well that makes me feel better but what about the syrinx, no interference or problems you've heard of. Isn't my spinal fluid all wacky and not flowing freely the way it should be?

mg,
    OMG, your syrinx story is almost exactly the same as mine. Good luck with your surgery. I hope that everything goes well.
    Last edited by Sugarcube; 05-09-2008 at 11:42 PM.

Your spinal fluid may not be flowing quite the way it should, but if the anesthesiologist thought that it wouldn't work, he/she wouldn't do it. Generally, epidurals are safer and a little easier to recover from. However, the bottom line is whether or not you are comfortable with it. Ask your docs as many questions as you need to- that will help you make your decision.
    CKF