Thread: T5 compression fracture questions

Question T5 compression fracture questions

Hello all. This seems like the place to be posting, so here goes. I was recently involved in a snowmobile accident that resulted in a minor C5 and C6 fracture and a pretty decent compression fracture of my T5. (they did xray, CT and MRI tests) This did not leave me with any paralysis. After 4 days in the hospital I was placed in a ‘turtle shell’ and a really poorly fitting C collar for about a month and sent home for R & R. This week I went back for another CT (back) and X ray (neck) on Monday and the Neurologist already has me out of the shell and brace. He said my neck shouldn’t be a problem – assumption is that they were very small fractures – neck actually feels better than before, was going to the chiropractor for muscle tightness. The T5 on the other hand is really very painful right now. I have been ‘trying’ to take rehab very slowly by getting into small activities around the house, but it is difficult for me to just sit still. I was able to see the most recent CT of my spine and the vertebrae seemed to be very compressed. My spine looked straight until that location and then takes a turn to the right after the T5 location.

Doctors orders were to come back in 2 months for another CT and to review where the pain level is at. It is at that point that he and I will decide if I should have surgery to fix it or the next steps.

I guess my questions are –

is this too early to be out of the brace? He was very skeptical about how much the brace was actually helping with a fracture in that location. He also felt that my rib cage would help to support this fracture. All I know is that it is sore now...and wasnt as sore before.

Should I have had rehab exersices? I am pretty active but should I have some specific types of streching that I should be doing?

Do I need to prepare for a lifetime of back problems? Right now there isn’t a time where I don’t have pain in my back. I have been cutting back on the pain killers that I have been taking, so couple that with not using those muscles as much in the past month could be part of it, but most of it is a dull bone ache.

Should I be prepared for surgery in a couple of months? Has anyone here experienced this kind of fracture that resulted in surgery? What were the results? I know this is an injury usually related to snowmobile and motocross style incidents. Is the fix worse than the starting point?

What other questions should I ask? Please let me know if there is something I am missing. I am both new to this injury and new to this forum.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone here.

kevin

Kevin,
    Welcome to CC. Sorry to see another member from the great state of Minnesota (land of the endless winter). I don't how much I can help. I had a burst fracture of the T8 vertabrae which did result in paralysis. I wore my turtle shell (torture shell is more like it) for four months. I had my vertabrae removed and a piece of my hip bone was used in its place. I had what are called Harrington Rods placed on either side of my spine from T6-10. I did not (don't remember-really good drugs ) have pain then or now. I had the surgery about 18 months ago. I broke most of my ribs on my left side and some on the right. That is where all my discomfort came from. I wish you the best with your rehab., etc. I would say you know your body-if it hurts too much don't do it. Take care!

Kathy