Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: my wife is a new c7

my wife is a new c7

Hello im looking for answers i guess. my wife has a incomplete c7 spinal cord injury. she has feelings in her legs and arms. she also has limited use of her arms and fingers. she can grasp but it is hard for her to hold on to things because of her weak hand feelings. she went into the hospital on 4-21-2008 with pain radiating from her back to the front of her chest they gave her medication for the pain and tried to discharge her. when i tried to help her get dressed i found that she could not help me and that her legs could not move. i asked for help from the nurses and they thought she was faking. after trying to get her into a wheel chair and hoisting her back into the bed one nurse just looked at her with discussed. i had to beg for a second doctor to look at my wife (they where still trying to discharge her). my wife is in a rehab unit now she has and had feeling in her legs im just wondering what are her chances to walk again. and yes she do and have had feeling in her rectum since she was at the first hospital.

Hi Dizzal:

I am so sorry to hear about your wife! It sounds like she may have had a spinal cord stroke. I am a 29 year old female who suffered a spinal cord stroke (C2-T2) 4-06-07. I went to the hospital with back pain and could not walk within one hour.

Every spinal cord injury is different and I do not want to give you false hope, but I walk unassisted. I am pretty close to normal as far as mobility goes.

Does you wife have any leg movement at this time? My left leg came back faster then the right. I was able to take a few steps with braces and a walker at about 3 weeks and progressed from there. I can now run 5 miles and I hiked 6 the other day!

I hope nothing but the best for her. My heart goes out to you both.

ty lucky my wife has feeling in her legs but she still has no movement.

Sorry to hear this about your wife.
    It's all individual. I'm c-7 complete w/no return from a car wreck.
    Have faith she'll walk, run, & hike like the 1st post.
    She has a lot of good signs.
    What did they say happened?
    Thank God you insisted on another Dr.
    Get a good physiatrist when she gets out of Rehab to help her.
    Learn all you can so you can help her too.
    Welcome to the board.

Mona

Mona the MRI showed that she had a possible hurniated c6 and c7 after surgery it was just the c7 that needed removing. they also said that she had a narrow spinal and that removing the c7 would take some of the pressure off.

I hope she's feeling better dizzal.
    I'm glad they could take some pressure off with the surgery.
    God has better things in store for her & you.
    God bless & take care.

Mona

TY Mona

Y/w Keep us updated

Like it was stated above; everyone is different, but I would think her chances of great returns are pretty good.

My husband had a sports accident in January and is fully walking now and can run; some...in the house of course. It's amazing how much they can improve once the pressure is relieved and therapy begins. My husbands was C5/C6. She has feeling/sensation...that's awesome!

Good luck.

Lisa

TY Lisa i must say this forum has really help me alot and i just joined. i amd still getting used to all the terms but im a quick study. my wife almost feel 3 times today in OT she stated that she felt like just giving up but i told her about this forum and how there is hope she just needs to keep doing what ever she can and not give up.