Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terminator production is just a matter of time

Thumbs up Terminator production is just a matter of time

This video is stunning. Boston Dynamics is the cream of the crop. Respect!

"So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

I've seen the video as well. I can't help but imagine the robot as alive and am saddened when the researches give the robot a good kick to test its balance. Amazing work...

Quote Originally Posted by cvelusc
    I've seen the video as well. I can't help but imagine the robot as alive and am saddened when the researches give the robot a good kick to test its balance. Amazing work...

It's amazing that its movements are so "life like" that we automatically give it empathy.
    I felt similarly when it hit the ice patch.

That fact alone, that humans will empathize with something that moves in a familiar animal/life like way,
    could play out in a bunch of different and dangerous ways in the future.

What if in the future, we start to lose empathy for living things
    because of over empathizing with robots that move and behave so life like?

It's gonna be a strange world in a hundred years...

I had the same irrational reaction to seeing this thing being kicked and then struggling to stay up. Weird.

Wow, that is too cool. The reaction and correction times are amazing. I can see already the impact such a robotic creature could have for SCI people...imagine a similar "robot" basically replacing our wheelchairs...at least when we're outdoors.

It can lower itself so you can transfer, and away you go, no matter the terrain. Hopefully something similar to this is the future of mobility for sci folks, if a curative therapy isn't soon found. I doubt anybody at Boston Dynamics and their clients have thought of it in terms of mobility for the disabled but it sure as hell works for me...and would surely beat heck out of an iBot.
    Quote Originally Posted by cvelusc
    Quote Originally Posted by cljanney
    It's amazing that its movements are so "life like" that we automatically give it empathy.
    I felt similarly when it hit the ice patch.

That fact alone, that humans will empathize with something that moves in a familiar animal/life like way,
    could play out in a bunch of different and dangerous ways in the future.

What if in the future, we start to lose empathy for living things
    because of over empathizing with robots that move and behave so life like?

It's gonna be a strange world in a hundred years...
    Quote Originally Posted by ala
    I had the same irrational reaction to seeing this thing being kicked and then struggling to stay up. Weird.
    I wonder what our reactions would have been if the robot looked like an old lady, a young sexy nubile woman, an old helpless homeless man, or a child?
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf
    I wonder what our reactions would have been if the robot looked like an old lady, a young sexy nubile woman, an old helpless homeless man, or a child?
    or our President...

or our President...

In that case, I would have cheered when it was kicked.....

Mabey the emotional reaction was brought on by the fact that it looks similar to a baby fawn learning to walk for the first time.

What if in the future, we start to lose empathy for living things because of over empathizing with robots that move and behave so life like?
    Why go immediately for the negative? Why not consider that learning to empathize with even artificial beings might teach humans to care more for organic life?

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Why go immediately for the negative? Why not consider that learning to empathize with even artificial beings might teach humans to care more for organic life?

C.
    Who said that's negative?