Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Escaping the Nursing Home

Escaping the Nursing Home

This article (linked below) on the front page of New Mobility's site makes me ashamed and angry I live in Tennessee. For those of us who have been in nursing homes for any length of time we know nursing homes are not a true solution to what is needed for independent living.

www.newmobility.com/

While I agree with you 99.9% of the time, sometimes there are situations that make it an option that works for a short time. For example, if someone is in an abusive situation, I would much rather that the person move out and into a nursing home for a short time, than stay in that situation.
    However, I do agree that nursing homes are not a true solution for independent living.
    CKF

I agree with you Mem. Tenesseee is particularly bad on its options. There are very few programs available here to keep people out of the nursing homes. I fight this daily at my job.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    ...However, I do agree that nursing homes are not a true solution for independent living.
    CKF
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose
    For those of us who have been in nursing homes for any length of time we know nursing homes are not a true solution to what is needed for independent living.
    no doubt, part of the problem is that nursing homes are not designed for independent living. that's kinda like saying, 'this beef processing plant doesn't make very good donuts.'

it's not only SCI'ed people who end up between residences because of their limited abilities and resources - at least, for the most part, the SCI'ed qualify for nursing home placement.

with our (USA's) health care problems and downturns in the economy, i wouldn't hold my breath waiting for expanded home-based services.

plus, the antinursing home activists have used bizarre enough inflammed rhetoric, like 'trapped in a nursing home against my will', so that they have pretty much asked not to be taken seriously.

nobody is ever admitted to a nursing home unless they sign or express their consent. the exception is when a legal determination of incompetency precedes admission. in which case, your legal guardian may place you anywhere he or she sees fit.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    While I agree with you 99.9% of the time, sometimes there are situations that make it an option that works for a short time. For example, if someone is in an abusive situation, I would much rather that the person move out and into a nursing home for a short time, than stay in that situation.
    However, I do agree that nursing homes are not a true solution for independent living.
    CKF
    Agreed, when life and whatever limbs are left are in peril one must do what one must do. It is too bad and quite sad the choice is often a nursing home or face abuse. I'm unaware of any stats on the accessability of women's shelters for those in such situations with disabilities.

What is tragic is once one is in a nursing home it can be quite difficult to find a place to live on the outside.

I will try to locate info I have previously read which indicates Tennessee is the worst of the 50 states and commonwealths in the US for nursing home placements versus community options for those of us with disabilities.

Keep up the good fight, C.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue
    I agree with you Mem. Tenesseee is particularly bad on its options. There are very few programs available here to keep people out of the nursing homes. I fight this daily at my job.

I was aware when I wrote the first post in this thread that my statement was oxymoronic in part. Yet it is not.

I found myself on the receiving end of surgery after breaking multiple bones in a fall in 2001. I was sent from the hospital post-op to a nursing home for rehab/recuperation. The nursing home was presented to me as a means to regain the independence I lost in breaking those bones, having surgery and a cast on my leg which changed much of how I did everything so as not to disturb what surgeons had put back together.

I was deemed too disabled with cerebral palsy and incomplete quadriplegia for my area rehab hospital. In hindsight, they were wrong and I'd have pushed to have gone there knowing what I know now. The hospital social worker read cp and SCI, saw me very freshly post-op and decided she knew how I was and what I was capable of. She had shared her "incite" with the rehab hospital and they gave their input based upon that.

I was told I was too dis for the rehab hospital and I was also too freshly injured/post-op'd to go home.

At the end of a week's stay in the hospital, and yes, after I agreed to go, I was taken the the nursing home.

I was in what many would call a "good" nursing home and still I knew I had to get my arse out as soon as the paramedics rolled me in. I feared something happening which would delay my exit. A skin breakdown (happened inside the cast), a UTI run amok (fortunately the oral abx kept the one I got in check), anything which would have taken my body and further weakened what remained after its recent trauma could have kept me there longer, indefinitely.

Not only did I want to go home ASAP, but had I remained beyond a certain point my assets would have begun to shrivel until the nursing home all, but owned me.

I was there right at a month and was never so glad to leave a place in all my life.

I get that nursing homes can be of use. I also get that once one is in such a place it can be quite difficult to leave if one has lost his or her home during that stay. Fortunately, my Uncle and I shared a home and I continued to pay my half of shared bills while in the nh. Had I been living month to month and had lost my home during the month I was in the nursing home, leaving would have been monumental and much slower in happening.

I get why nh's can be of use. I also get why there should be other options for many, if not most, of the individuals who call such places home, whether for days, weeks, months or years.

We should at least have more choice. As it is we don't. I learned the hard way it takes one bad tumble and I wound up in a place I never thought I'd be.

Quote Originally Posted by kan5a5
    no doubt, part of the problem is that nursing homes are not designed for independent living. that's kinda like saying, 'this beef processing plant doesn't make very good donuts.'

it's not only SCI'ed people who end up between residences because of their limited abilities and resources - at least, for the most part, the SCI'ed qualify for nursing home placement.

with our (USA's) health care problems and downturns in the economy, i wouldn't hold my breath waiting for expanded home-based services.

plus, the antinursing home activists have used bizarre enough inflammed rhetoric, like 'trapped in a nursing home against my will', so that they have pretty much asked not to be taken seriously.

nobody is ever admitted to a nursing home unless they sign or express their consent. the exception is when a legal determination of incompetency precedes admission. in which case, your legal guardian may place you anywhere he or she sees fit.

Hopefully, there will be changes soon. An article in today's paper.

http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/news/state/story.aspx?c

"The alternatives would include the hiring of friends and relatives to provide help at home, and access to assisted-living facilities and "adult care homes" - private residences where up to five elderly or disabled people could live."

while some of these scenarios will certainly result in better quality care, or at least a more homey felling, spreading available PCA's tinner will not. nursing homes have difficulty staffing as it is. care that depends on fewer staff is much easier to disrupt.

i think i'd rather be in a nursing home than to be cared for by my family (mom, dad, and sibs, that is) and they're wonderful people. but it would change too much about the relationship.

i wish corporate greed didn't influence everything...

a quick improvement to nursing homes nation wide would be to make all existing four bed wards into two bed suites, and all double rooms into singles. the number one reason people move to a different room is roommate problems.

who in god's name ever decided that being in need of 24 hour care makes you stoked to have a stranger as a roommate?

of course, nurshing home budgets are written around heads in beds. and fewer beds means....you guess it!
    Last edited by kan5a5; 05-07-2008 at 12:37 AM.