Thread: Morning help needed in Seattle, A

Morning help needed in Seattle, A

I'm an interesting, outgoing, well traveled, and well educated 39 yr old quadriplegic male as a result of a spinal cord injury a couple years ago. I have good upper arm and shoulder strength which allow me to perform most of my own transfers and maintain my independence throughout the day. I live in a beautiful new apartment with great light located in the Wallingford neighborhood of Seattle.

I'm looking for people who can assist me from 8:30 a.m. to about 10:30 a.m. / 11:00 a.m. (2 to 2 1/2 hrs). Activities include stretching exercises, help showering and dressing.

No prior experience is needed, but experience, especially with SCI, is a plus. I can train any motivated person as long as you are responsible, warm, flexible, and cheerful. Reliability is absolutely critical to me since I try to maintain an active day and cannot do so without help getting out of bed.

Since there is a lot of back-and-forth communication with my assistant I need this you to read, write and speak clear English.

I look forward to hearing from you.
    -Chris

Hi, Chris ~ I've put the word out to our circle . . . if I get any bites I'll send you a PM.

kate

you may get better results using craigslist. That's where I find my caregivers and I usually have responses within minutes of posting.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

You are unlikely to find a PCA here, since most of the regular users of this forum are family caregivers of people with SCI.

I would second using Craig's List as a good place to find potential PCAs. Your local ILC may also have listings, and posting ads and flyers at local colleges, universities, and job centers may also garner you some applicants. Also let other people with SCI in your area know you are looking. They may have an attendant who is looking for additional hours.

(KLD)

i would suggest your local newspaper. that's what i do and no, i don't mean the seattle times. i live on the eastside and we have a smaller newspaper. i have never found ilc info any help, or posting at local nursing schools, colleges, churches, etc. only the newspaper or word of mouth. good luck.

In our area, the newspapers are expensive for ads, and not very productive. If you have something like the Penny Saver it can be a lot less expensive and more productive, but Craig's List tops them all for us. The last PCA we hired is a nursing student, but we found her through a friendship with a local nursing school instructor.

(KLD)

yep, kld, i'm pretty sure i know where you are. it's where my accident happened and i spent yrs as a quad. newspapers are bad idea there.

but here it is diff. esp. if one sticks to local smaller newspaper. the response is much different thank god!

My brother found a good carer by putting an ad in the local paper and newsletter maybe you could try that?

I use newspaper, but they are very expensive.
    You have to weed through alot of undesirables.

Thanks I'll try Craig's List.