Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High school gym class

Quote Originally Posted by JakeHalsted
    Come to think of it....I think I'd want a nickname "Shortbus" if I were back in school All the good nicknames...like TeeBone...or jakethesnake..probably already taken

I'm gonna open a restaurant, be the chef, call it "meals on wheels"

Yes, he's an L1. And yes, he's fairly high-functioning because it.

However, he's only 14 months post.

And he has $56,000 worth of hardware holding his spine together due to the nature of his injury and severity of the breaks.

I can't say I'm in too big a hurry to put him in a high school gym class with a teacher who doesn't have a clue (I've met the man, he doesn't have a clue).

As far as being in the special ed class there are two problems -- at his school it is for the severely impared students who do not even qualify to be mainstreamed. Also, it is only offered during the 4th period -- which is when lunch is and is the longest class of the day -- the one where all the biology and science labs are offered and those classes take priority.

He is under an IEP, but the agency that oversees that is a seperate entity from the school and his guidance counselor keeps trying to change things as we go (it's his first year on the job). I have been fighting the school over virtually everything since last year.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

KLD

I checked on whether wheelchair sport training would qualify and was told the state department of education took away that option and the possibility of some form of independent study.

His IEP for next year is being worked on now, I will see if I can get some sort of clarification.

Thanks!
    -- Lucy VanPelt

The school signed my daughter up for gym class at the start of the school year, due to her injury. It's in her IEP, that is the time to get stretched, lift weights and do laps. Then if there is time, she had the option of joining in with the AB kids and play whatever they're working on., some social time Or, occas. jumped in the stander. I'm sorry you have to fight with school. We have fought with ours, on transportation issues and not letting other kids help her up stairs or such.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsLucy
    Yes, he's an L1. And yes, he's fairly high-functioning because it.

However, he's only 14 months post.

And he has $56,000 worth of hardware holding his spine together due to the nature of his injury and severity of the breaks.
    He is not fairly high functioning but extremely high functioning as compared to some here. Take Van Damn for instance, he is training for a weight lifting competition...and is constantly riding a hand cycle and he has a cervical level injury.

We have all had some sort of hardware at one time or another...your son is no different. At 14 months post, that hardware has no effect on his ability to shoot a basketball or even play tennis from a wheelchair. At 14 months post, his bones are fairly healed as all my hardware was removed at 12 months post.

You are making excuses for him and you are setting him up for a lifetime of failure doing this. He needs to participate in gym class and he needs to learn his own level of tolerance.

If you are not careful, you will make him dependent on you for the rest of his life and at his level or any other level matter of fact, he is capable of living his own life like anyone else.

I never wanted to be labeled as special and I am a T12 through L3 shatter/splinter injury. Even now 18 years post, it bothers me when people try to make excuses why I cant do something.

He is going to live with this injury the rest of his life and excuses get you no where in life.

I am not trying to be mean...I am also a mother as well. We all want to help our children. My doctor gave my parents some sound advice in the ER eighteen years ago....he told them "they could make an invalid out of me or they could make me independent", it was their choice.

Recognize your sons abilities and foster them. If you have to fight the school system for wheelchair sports then do it....but dont label him as "special".

Good luck!!!
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I am a T1 and I was injured at 15 in March of 95 and came back the following September (6 monts post) and was placed in Special Ed gym class, but due to my ability was placed in a regular gym class. They will accomodate to him to what he can and cannot do. I did volleyball, basketball, and even softball among other things I never would have even considered doing. I wasn't that great at doing any of them, but I put in a great effort.

Sure there were things I couldn't do which was rare. It boosted my confidence being able to participate. They are not going to dock his grade if he can't jump rope or do pull ups, etc. A lot of AB people can't jump rope or do pull ups, etc. If he puts in a good effort there is no reason he shouldn't get an A or B in the class.

I wheeled a mile while my class ran/walked a mile. Due to the fact the track was sloped and the tar was making my hands and wheels dirty - they mapped out an alternative route for me to wheel that was flat and a couple of students did their mile that way with me. They also let me out of class twice of week to go swimming as part of my outpatient rehab.

At times I would peek in at the Special Ed gym when the class was doing something I just couldn't do and I ended up student aiding for the Special Ed gym class for the next 2 1/2 years. Sure they may not be as cognitive, but they are incredible kids to be around. A lot of times my gym teacher would welcome the Special Ed class to join our main class. All the students thrived off the energy of everyone - special ed or not. It was a good time.

My high school also started a charity wheelchair basketball game with the Sioux Wheelers (a wheelchair basketball team) and the faculity and some students. It is still a huge hit today and my 10 year reunion is this year.

Your son should have no problem in a regular gym class even with a clueless teacher. I think he should at least try it before trying to take him out of it. I hated gym before I got hurt, but it was actually one of the classes I looked forward to post injury.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." ~ James Dean
    http://www.kristi-allen.com

Darkeyed Daisy,

Get off the soapbox sister. Implying that he isn't disabled enough is just bull. He's a kid for god's sake. And the hardware is in there for life.

And don't even go there and say I'm making him dependent on me.

I do nothing for him beyond stretch his feet/ankles out. He does EVERYTHING else on his own, from his bowel program to medicine. I make him gather his laundry and help prepare dinner. He's known how to wash clothes and do dishes since he was 7 and he continues to do chores around the house.

I'm not making excuses for him at school, I've just learned in the past year that there are certain battles worth fighting and others that you should walk away from and in my book PE class is not high on the priority list. The kid does a 60-90 minute exercise program every night that is geared to his abilities and to even think for a second that having him hang in the gym shooting baskets for 30 minutes a day is a good/productive use of his time is nutty. Opening up that fourth period class to advanced biology so that he can one day get into med school is a good use of his time.
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Kristi,

Thanks for the first-hand perspective.
    -- Lucy VanPelt

I don;t think you are going to get far exempting him from gym entirely. Around here is is a state law, and they have even stopped the policy of allowing the kids who play a varsity sport let it count as gym. His IEP is probably the ONLY place you can get something substituted.

I think your goal here should be to get him mainstreamed into regular gym, the spec ed class should NOT be an option due to it conflicting with any science labs. II'm actually surprised that class exists .... [retty much everyone is mainstreamed for gym here. ANy adaptive PE is usually additional, not replacement). Yea he might feel funny with the ab kids but that he will just have to get used to, or get over it. As far as the clueless teacher goes, your son is quite a ways out, and probably isn;t as fragile as you are worried about (I know, it is our jobs as mom;s to worry, LOL). He will have to be an advocate for himself here, and if the teacher is pushing him to do something harmful, he can speak up.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

sjean

Thanks. I too think the special ed class is not an option. I'm going to look into having him take regular PE over the summer next year. A friend of mine just sent me an email recommending it. The would get rid of the scheduling problems and elminate the time pressure of changing into a gym uniform (school requirement).

I know he's not fragile. He plays wheelchair basketball and has earned the nickname "dozer" as in bulldozer. He also plays wheelchair tennis every weekend and really enjoys that.

I'm just tired of the school changing the rules on me every time I turn my head. Originally, he was going to take it independently. But the counselor nixed that one just last week. Ugh.

I am going to call the state DOE and see what the rules are because I really don't think his guidance counselor has a good grasp of what's going on. Like I said, it's his first year and we've had a lot of problems.

I will need to get his IEP ammended for gym class because the teacher is of the macho mindset that if you pump enough iron or whatever then the body will work normally. I don't think he has any concept of simply not being able to move something.
    -- Lucy VanPelt