Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High school gym class

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

High school gym class

My son was injured 14 months ago and is now an L1 para. He is not taking gym this year because his doctor wrote a note that is was more important for him to focus on his recovery and get adequate physical therapy.

Now the school is saying he HAS to take two gym classes before he graduates and that they are going to put him in the special ed adaptive gym class.

There is nothing wrong with his mind. Just his body. I think putting him in the special ed class would be demeaning and just plain wrong.

His physiatrist said no way to special ed gym that he is "cognitively above" that and to make the school adapt regular gym to him.

I find the entire thing totally insane. Like I don't have anything else to stress out about!

You would think the state would have some sort of exemption, but no dice. For goodness sake, the school district provides him with PT each week because they know his limitations but nobody will come up with another plan for gym class. And they won't count his PT time as exercise or gym! UGH!

I think he would feel odd taking regular gym too with 25 able-body kids.

Has anyone dealt with this before?

I don't care if they stick him in ceramics class or band, but how about an alternative to PE.

Talking to the school is like talking to a brick wall too.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

?

Penuts...

I think you're missing the point of a special education certification. It simply means that a students' requirements are different than the general student population. It does not necessarily have to do with cognitive ability.

Two of my friends in school were "special ed" ceritifed. One had severe cerebral paulsy...he also had a 700 math SAT and went to Stanford university. The other had a SEVERE temper...and had a habit of punching his teachers.

A special education certification will simply move the bars that your son has to clear...not raise or lower them.

On a different note...why the hell shouldn't he take a regular gym class, especially with an injury at L1? If you want your son "mainstreamed" then by all means....he NEEDS TO TAKE THE REGULAR GYM class. He can shoot baskets and play volleyball with anyone else. He can probably outperform the most students in weight lifting. And if there's a social dancing unit, then it will be a learning experience for the teacher as well as the student.

I agree with the school...PT time is NOT exercise or gym. PT as it was meant to be should be specific exercises meant to rehabilitate your son. Above and beyond that, he needs to learn an exercise regimen to keep fit.

We in the physically disabled community have to work MUCH HARDER than other people. We have to train like professional athletes.

Personally? If I were your son, I'd want to be certified Spec. Ed...and I'd want my ass kicked into gym class!

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsLucy
    My son was injured 14 months ago and is now an L1 para. He is not taking gym this year because his doctor wrote a note that is was more important for him to focus on his recovery and get adequate physical therapy.

Now the school is saying he HAS to take two gym classes before he graduates and that they are going to put him in the special ed adaptive gym class.

There is nothing wrong with his mind. Just his body. I think putting him in the special ed class would be demeaning and just plain wrong.

His physiatrist said no way to special ed gym that he is "cognitively above" that and to make the school adapt regular gym to him.

I find the entire thing totally insane. Like I don't have anything else to stress out about!

You would think the state would have some sort of exemption, but no dice. For goodness sake, the school district provides him with PT each week because they know his limitations but nobody will come up with another plan for gym class. And they won't count his PT time as exercise or gym! UGH!

I think he would feel odd taking regular gym too with 25 able-body kids.

Has anyone dealt with this before?

I don't care if they stick him in ceramics class or band, but how about an alternative to PE.

Talking to the school is like talking to a brick wall too.

Sadly special ed has such a bad wrap.
    So many people associate the stygma of 'Special Ed" with the short bus, retreading tires, or plainly stated - mental retardation.

Specail Ed has a much broader scope to cover everyone that cannot participate in a regular class. Regardless of IQ or Physical ability.

Perhaps if you look at it more as an 'Adaptive" class, geared towards your childs particular needs.

I kind of agree with the prior post.. at an L1 injury, he may not be able to do some things, but should be able to do many things still required of any AB student. Then again, he might have unique needs.

(yes.. I am not wearing my glasses.. typing is atrotious..)
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

sadly...

When i go out, I usually use 'wheels' as my bar name...I find it lightens people up to the fact that I'm using a chair.

Taking a regular gym class is "social proof" if you will.

Incidentally...something i learned after i was hurt...from another injured person (and a dragster driver...) "Everyone has disabilities...some are more apparent than others."

Quote Originally Posted by Rbrauer
    Sadly special ed has such a bad wrap.
    So many people associate the stygma of 'Special Ed" with the short bus, retreading tires, or plainly stated - mental retardation.

Specail Ed has a much broader scope to cover everyone that cannot participate in a regular class. Regardless of IQ or Physical ability.

Perhaps if you look at it more as an 'Adaptive" class, geared towards your childs particular needs.

I kind of agree with the prior post.. at an L1 injury, he may not be able to do some things, but should be able to do many things still required of any AB student. Then again, he might have unique needs.

(yes.. I am not wearing my glasses.. typing is atrotious..)

About Special Ed

Peanuts, I was in Special Ed beginning in grade school as I was in a gifted program from fourth grade until graduation from high school. Yes, programs for so-called gifted children are also labelled Special Education.

As for your attitude regarding those who have lower than average IQ's, you stated it would be demeaning for your son to be around them. Do you hold the same view of people who have physical disabilities? How do you feel about people who hold such views about individuals with physical disses?

As for being in PE with ab children, your son lives in the real world. He will mix and mingle and work and live and love and play and learn and have a life with individuals who are both ab and dis. He will know what he can and cannot do, what he is and is not willing to try in PE. It is possible to do many exercises/activities from a wheelchair.

I have cerebral palsy (SCI acquired in '93, cp from birth) and was in P.E. in an otherwise all ab class. There were things I could not do, but those were few and far between. Yes, I was a walker not a wheeler in those days and that made a difference. P.E. was hard, but I was glad to take those classes with my ab peers.

Unless your son is healing and P.E. in any form is medically dangerous for him or will cause too much fatigue and/or pain for what he needs to do the remainder of the school day, try to find a compromise with the school district.

How does your son feel about all of this?
    Last edited by LaMemChose; 05-02-2008 at 11:23 PM. Reason: clarification

If I was a L1 I would WANT to take gym class. There is no reason he can't, and as for feeling strange taking it with all the ablebodied kids, well, that is going to be his norm in all things from now on so why not start now? He could play softball, baseball (with designated runner), volleyball, tennis, run track in his chair, whatever. He may be surprised at how much he enjoys it, and it would also foster his relationships with the kids in his school. Sure, there may be one or two jerks, but mostly I bet the other kids would find it pretty cool to have him in their class.

This should all have been addressed in your son's IEP before he started school again after his SCI. Did you have a hearing? Have a written plan? If not, you need to get one NOW. There are a number of ways to address this.

Training for a wheelchair sport could be considered his PE requirement and arrangements could be made for him to do this during his regular PE class time. He could participate in this through the special ed class, but with individual assignments. There is also a lot he could do in a regular PE class (tennis, basketball, weight lifting, etc.). But that needs to be addressed in the IEP.

(KLD)

My school had a swimming pool, and I had just had knee surgery. they let me do a terms worth of P.E. at the pool as an alternative. It was glorious having the place to myself with ony the student assistants and the swimming coach as lifeguards. There should be an acceptable alternative available to him if he prefers. The pool was the best therapy ever, and I got P.E. credit for time spent there. It was lucky for me that it was the last class of my day anyway, so no returning to class with wet hair.

Come to think of it....I think I'd want a nickname "Shortbus" if I were back in school All the good nicknames...like TeeBone...or jakethesnake..probably already taken

Quote Originally Posted by JakeHalsted
    Come to think of it....I think I'd want a nickname "Shortbus" if I were back in school All the good nicknames...like TeeBone...or jakethesnake..probably already taken

I'm gonna open a restaurant, be the chef, call it "meals on wheels"