Thread: SSDI Question on School?

SSDI Question on School?

I had to fill out an update late last year for my SSDI. They asked about whether I had been or was attending school. I just started with this past semester via the web to finish my bachelor of science. How or will this effect my SSDI? Original injury at C4 functionally a C5/C7.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Should not effect it at all. I have an old SSA eligibility manual. For SCI eligibility, the only criteria is no paid employment for last 6 months and doctor's diagnosis of wheelchair dependent SCI.

I had been on SSDI for about 18 months when I went back to school full time. It's been quite a while ago, but I don't think there was any effect on SSDI. I'm not sure they even knew.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyes
    I had been on SSDI for about 18 months when I went back to school full time. It's been quite a while ago, but I don't think there was any effect on SSDI. I'm not sure they even knew.

Joe
    Similar situation for me.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone. I sort of wondered if they thought I could sit through a full school day I could work. I'm not anywhere near a full load and for now it's home except for finals.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

SSDI / SSI questions...

Hi,

I am a Community Work Incentive Coordinator (a CWIC), trained by Social Security on the work incentives available through SSA for indivudals on SSDI and SSI. Basically, I am trained to educate indivudals on the impact of work on their federal, state and local benefits (state and local specific to NH).

I would be glad to help you with SSDI questions (at least general). If I can not help, I should be able to refer to a specific person who can.

CWIC Melanie Renfrew-Hebert
    Granite State Independent Living, NH

The most important reason they are asking about your school status is to see if you qualify for a work incentive through Social Security called the Student Earned Income Exclusion. This means that if you are below the age of 22, in school (and full time is a relative thing, guys! They base it on your ability to be in classes), and working you can have up to $1,550 per month up to a yearly total of $6,240 of you income from work excluded.