Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: researchblog

Quote Originally Posted by kivi66 View Post
    Dr.Wise,by not replying to my post you make no good for your renommee.Reread DA's last post final sentence and perform some rehabilitation for not turning this sentence into sentence to your reputation.Yes,professor,you need it,as your "lithium pie" neverstarting trials becoming not inspiration but frustration.And there is still no light in the end of tunnel,just fen-fires in a swamp.And you with this "baking" looks more and more like faker not researcher, because for proving efficacy or not efficacy of your method you don't need human being,even not monkey,buy a pig(hope it affordable for your lab),paralyse it by demyelination, waite a month,restore it's spinal cord function-and you a HERO,because if such therapy suitable for pig it absolutely suitable also for homo sapiens. Excuse me my tone but you provoke it.
    kivi66,

I don't know what post you are referring to. If you have a question, please ask it. All I read are rude insults and your belief that it will take a long time for the therapies to come.

I have already explained that we are recruiting patients for our current clinical trial in Hong Kong, that we need to have 20 subjects, and that our doctors in Hong Kong are working very hard to find the patients. We are preparing to do trial in China as well and have been preparing for that. We are continuing to raise money for the U.S. trials.

Wise.

Dr.Wise,thanks for your reply and my apologies for what you considered as "rude insults".And here is a question:Have you or have not checked your method on chronically SCIed animal model? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by kivi66 View Post
    Dr.Wise,thanks for your reply and my apologies for what you considered as "rude insults".And here is a question:Have you or have not checked your method on chronically SCIed animal model? Thank you.
    Yes, we have tested the treatment in a chronic model. We found that cyclosporin, a drug that we have to use to prevent immune rejection of the transplanted cells blocks the effects of lithium on the transplanted cells. If we don't use cyclosporine, the cells will be rejected. We don't have HLA matching of rats. so, we can't test the treatment in rats. In humans, we can transplant HLA matched cord blood and don't have to use immunosuppression.

Five other laboratories have reported beneficial effects of cord blood transplants in rats after spinal cord injury. In all of these studies, no cyclosporin was used and the investigators used human cord blood cells. Most transplanted the cord blood shortly after injury but at least two of the groups transplanted the cells at a week or more after spinal cord injury. Two groups have reported that lithium restores function when given shortly after injury.

We have shown that when cells are transplanted to the spinal cord, if we give lithium to the animal, this will cause the transplanted cells to grow and to produce neurotrophins. This also occurs in the tissue culture dish. The neurotrophins released by the cells are NGF, NT-3, and GDNF. These are the neurotrophins that have been reported by many investigators to stimulate axonal regeneration.

The Beike group is giving non-HLA matched cells intravenously or intrathecally to patients. Unmatched cells will be rapidly rejected, especially when given intravenously. I am also skeptical that intrathecally or intravenously rejected cells will get into the spinal cord. Please, I am insulted that you would compare us to Beike. We are not charging the patients for the treatment.

We are using the best HLA matched cells (at least 4:6) and transplanting the cells into the spinal cord at the edges of the injury site. To our surprise, we have been able to find remarkably good HLA matched cord blood units. Several of the patients have 6:6 match. It will be very interesting to see if the improvement of function relates to the HLA matching.

In studies of cord blood engraftment in bone marrow, experience suggest that as many as 4:6 match it's will nevertheless engraftment. If one has less than 4:6 HLA match, the cells are likely to be rejected. The spinal cord is also more protected from the body's immune system than the blood and we expect longer survival of partially matched cells.

Wise.

Wise, would this apply to chronics? Sounda that no matter the chater, your program is progressing diligentl. thanks for your efforts and your championing of this forum.

keeping on

Dr.Wise,thank you for clarification,not that I thoroughly satisfied with it but nevetheless rather pleased.And it would be nice to see some positive outcomes in less than 10 years term.Thanks once more.

Dr.Wise,are there news from your lab? It would be very appreciated in these snowy and windy days if a luminary in science throw some laboratory-grounded beams into the ray-fire of hope.

Wise, as ususal nice expanation. What ever, as you know, we are greatly waiting for favorable results from your therapies in Hong Kong. Can you tell us how the approval process is going in the states for your USA trials. This could be a big year, a magnificent year for thousans upon thosuands. Good luck for all your endeavours.

keeping on

Keeping on,

As you know, it is Spring Festival (New Year's) in China. It is like Christmas, New Year, and Easter holidays all rolled into one. Everything is closed, as well as our clinical trial, for the coming week. Our next case is scheduled for the 21st of February.

We were hoping to have some of the data from the Hong Kong trial to support our application for the phase 2 trial in Brackenridge in the U.S. Fundraising is also going slower than we had hoped. We are still aiming to get the phase 3 trial started in the United States by early 2012.

The good news is that our trial in Hong Kong has shown no complications from the surgery or treatment. Our surgeons are feeling comfortable with doing the procedure and we will soon be starting a mirror trial in Kunming. Much work must be done to qualify each hospital before the trial.

We are doing all this work with a staff of 2 people in Hong Kong and myself. This includes fundraising, all the regulatory applications, clinical trial designs and monitoring, and organizing all the meetings, cell shipments, transplants, etc. In the meantime, I am teaching two courses at Rutgers.

I am not providing the above as excuses for slow progress. The trials are proceeding as fast as possible. But it is the reason why I am spending less than usual time on CareCure. However, I am reporting all significant happenings.

We had an Open House last night and I talked to about 20 people for several hours about what is happening. In addition to discussing our current trials, I talked about future therapies and what we are thinking about.

Wise.

Dr. Young, can you elaborate on your thoughts about future therapies for the network? I wasn't able to be at the open house, but I am very curious about what could potentially be the next therapy of choice.

Wise, let me ask ; I thought trials were to begin in the states for the ubilical cord blood cells and lithium in early 2011. Your post indicates 2012. May I ask why? This is a big announcment as we were expecting 2011 to be a year of beginning here in the states. My understanding was that the hospitals were lined up in the states for implementing the treatment of a larger populaton of candidates that Hong Kong. Is there anything we can do as a group to help. Please tell us why this is occurring.

keeping on