Thread: 24 Hour Fitness

24 Hour Fitness

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share some news with you guys and gals. I have been a member of 24 Hour Fitness since 1995 and have enjoyed it. I sustained my SCI in January of 2006 and haven't really been going to 24 Hour Fitness due to the fact that most of the machines you have to transfer out of your chair and onto the equipment, and as all of you know right after injury that's a lot to do. I have however been going to the VA Hospital here in LaJolla California where I work out about 3 times a week because they have a SCI unit and the proper equipment for us to use. Anyway. I e-mailed the corporate office of 24 Hour Fitness and asked the question about getting more "Wheelchair Friendly Equipment" last week and I got a response yesterday. They are forwarding my e-mail to the people responsible for ordering the equipment for the facilities and they are going to look into it and get back with me. I let them know that just because we are in wheelchairs doesn't mean that we do not want to stay fit and healthy, and that is what 24 Hour Fitness has been promoting. I told them that with such a life changing situation we would only have two options and they were to drop our memberships if we didn't have the proper equipment or find a gym that did have the proper equipment. With that being said they upgraded my membership at no additional cost up front and no additional monthly dues to where I can go to the Sports facility as well, which is bigger and my have more equipment.

What I'm trying to say is if you want to do something ASK, don't let your injury stand in your way. Closed mouths don't get fed. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress of getting accessible equipment, trust me I'm not going to let this one fall by the way side.

Thanks

It's good to hear that your taking the initiative to work with your gym on getting more user friendly equipment. At least there being open minded about your request.

I've been a long term member of the Golds Gym and fortunate to have workers comp pay for a years membership with trainer. I use my transfer board for some of the machines, for the most part there accessible without. I find the hammer strength machines are very easy to work with. Also do pool therepy there as well.

Keep up your work out routine and good luck with the 24 Hour Fitness.
    If I was meant to have wheels under my ass, what the hell are these legs for?
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1455040496

If this could happen that would be great for us
    coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!