Thread: Characteristics of Cannabis Users Who Have Never Smoked Tobacco

Characteristics of Cannabis Users Who Have Never Smoked Tobacco

http://archpedi.ama-assn.org/cgi/con...ll/161/11/1042

Some Go Without a Cigarette

J. C. Suris, MD, PhD; Christina Akre, MA; André Berchtold, PhD; André Jeannin, MA; Pierre-André Michaud, MD

Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2007;161(11):1042-1047.

ABSTRACT

Objectives To estimate the prevalence of youth who use cannabis but have never been tobacco smokers and to assess the characteristics that differentiate them from those using both substances or neither substance.

Design School survey.

Setting Postmandatory schools.

Participants A total of 5263 students (2439 females) aged 16 to 20 years divided into cannabis-only smokers (n = 455), cannabis and tobacco smokers (n = 1703), and abstainers (n = 3105).

Outcome Measures Regular tobacco and cannabis use; and personal, family, academic, and substance use characteristics.

Results Compared with those using both substances, cannabis-only youth were younger (adjusted odds ratio [AOR], 0.82) and more likely to be male (AOR, 2.19), to play sports (AOR, 1.64), to live with both parents (AOR, 1.33), to be students (AOR, 2.56), and to have good grades (AOR, 1.57) and less likely to have been drunk (AOR, 0.55), to have started using cannabis before the age of 15 years (AOR, 0.71), to have used cannabis more than once or twice in the previous month (AOR, 0.64), and to perceive their pubertal timing as early (AOR, 0.59). Compared with abstainers, they were more likely to be male (AOR, 2.10), to have a good relationship with friends (AOR, 1.62), to be sensation seeking (AOR, 1.32), and to practice sports (AOR, 1.37) and less likely to have a good relationship with their parents (AOR, 0.59). They were more likely to attend high school (AOR, 1.43), to skip class (AOR, 2.28), and to have been drunk (AOR, 2.54) or to have used illicit drugs (AOR, 2.28).

Conclusions Cannabis-only adolescents show better functioning than those who also use tobacco. Compared with abstainers, they are more socially driven and do not seem to have psychosocial problems at a higher rate.

Some Go Without a Cigarette

J. C. Suris, MD, PhD; Christina Akre, MA; André Berchtold, PhD; André Jeannin, MA; Pierre-André Michaud, MD

Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2007;161(11):1042-1047.

ABSTRACT

Objectives To estimate the prevalence of youth who use cannabis but have never been tobacco smokers and to assess the characteristics that differentiate them from those using both substances or neither substance.

Design School survey.

Setting Postmandatory schools.

Participants A total of 5263 students (2439 females) aged 16 to 20 years divided into cannabis-only smokers (n = 455), cannabis and tobacco smokers (n = 1703), and abstainers (n = 3105).

Outcome Measures Regular tobacco and cannabis use; and personal, family, academic, and substance use characteristics.

Results Compared with those using both substances, cannabis-only youth were younger (adjusted odds ratio [AOR], 0.82) and more likely to be male (AOR, 2.19), to play sports (AOR, 1.64), to live with both parents (AOR, 1.33), to be students (AOR, 2.56), and to have good grades (AOR, 1.57) and less likely to have been drunk (AOR, 0.55), to have started using cannabis before the age of 15 years (AOR, 0.71), to have used cannabis more than once or twice in the previous month (AOR, 0.64), and to perceive their pubertal timing as early (AOR, 0.59). Compared with abstainers, they were more likely to be male (AOR, 2.10), to have a good relationship with friends (AOR, 1.62), to be sensation seeking (AOR, 1.32), and to practice sports (AOR, 1.37) and less likely to have a good relationship with their parents (AOR, 0.59). They were more likely to attend high school (AOR, 1.43), to skip class (AOR, 2.28), and to have been drunk (AOR, 2.54) or to have used illicit drugs (AOR, 2.28).

Conclusions Cannabis-only adolescents show better functioning than those who also use tobacco. Compared with abstainers, they are more socially driven and do not seem to have psychosocial problems at a higher rate.
    Pass the bowl, Wise, I think you've hit on something many Americans have known for decades. Weed isn't evil, it's better than alcohol and tobacco, and it obviously is used by large portions of the population in America. And when started and used exclusive of booze and tobacco in high school, the overall potential of the student in the long-term can only be enhanced, when contrasted to the other two groups.

People who smoke a bowl now and then to unwind or for nauseating pain don't beat up their wives, don't drive drunk and kill others, and don't preach to people they meet in life about the evils of sin.

They just work hard, love harder, and live less stressful lives than those who use tobacco and those who drink alcohol, as well as those who do none of the three.

Dang reefer addicts, look what you're doing and have done to America

psst, Wise, pass the cookies and the chips and the ice cream and the cake, please...I think I have the munchies
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I can tell you one thing. I have my prescription and it doesnt come with a warning side effect label.

Never heard herb come with the warning label...

may cause: vomiting, seizures, kidney failure

LOL.

propaganda is a powerful tool. governments have been using it for years, and have become good at it.

here have a stick of chemicals. and put that plant down.

Blog Entries
    Only teenagers who don't smoke it, trust the government
    THAT should tell ya all you need to know.

I'll take DEADLY CHEMICALS for $500 Alex...

Albert Hofmann, 102 years old, RIP.

In a celebration of Hofmann's 100th birthday in 2006, Hofmann told the crowd of well-wishers -- which included 2,000 researchers, scientists, artists and historians -- that "LSD wanted to tell me something. It gave me an inner joy, an open mindedness, a gratefulness, open eyes and an internal sensitivity for the miracles of creation."

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2...ventor-al.html
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C
    Hofmann's 100th birthday in 2006, Hofmann told the crowd of well-wishers -- which included 2,000 researchers, scientists, artists and historians -- that "LSD wanted to tell me something. It gave me an inner joy, an open mindedness, a gratefulness, open eyes and an internal sensitivity for the miracles of creation."
    Any idea if LSD is beneficial for neuropain?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C
    Albert Hofmann, 102 years old, RIP.

In a celebration of Hofmann's 100th birthday in 2006, Hofmann told the crowd of well-wishers -- which included 2,000 researchers, scientists, artists and historians -- that "LSD wanted to tell me something. It gave me an inner joy, an open mindedness, a gratefulness, open eyes and an internal sensitivity for the miracles of creation."

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2...ventor-al.html
    Thanks for the link. I found this statement from wired.com to be pretty intriguing.

"In his presentation, artist Alex Grey noted that Nobel-prize-winner Francis Crick, discoverer of the double helical structure of DNA, also told friends he received inspiration for his ideas from LSD, according to news reports.

The gathering included a discussion of how early computer pioneers used LSD for inspiration. Douglas Englebart, the inventor of the mouse, Myron Stolaroff, a former Ampex engineer and LSD researcher who was attending the symposium, and Apple-cofounder Steve Jobs were among them. In the 2005 book What the Dormouse Said, New York Times reporter John Markoff quotes Jobs describing his LSD experience as "one of the two or three most important things he has done in his life.""