Thread: Becoming Very Lightheaded

Question Becoming Very Lightheaded

I had TM in 2004 and became a c6 complete quad. I was wondering if anyone else who had it gets dizzy and light headed for hours at a time?

I woke up this morning and before I even opened my eyes I felt very light headed. I took my time and sat up and had to lay back down right away because I felt like I was going to pass out. I laid there for hours waiting for the dizziness to go away, but it seemed like I'd almost start to feel better then another wave would come over me where I felt like everything was zoning out and kept trying to keep from passing out.

It's over 7 hours now since I woke up and I'm still not feeling right. I've been light headed ever since, but I did manage to get up and have some cerial and groom my dogs.

This happens every so often. It goes away after awhile. Sometimes after an hour, but sometimes it can take 10 or more. I'm thinking it's because my blood pressure is really low, but I'm not sure why.

Does anyone have any idea what could be happening and why? It gets really annoying. I was planning on getting a lot of housework done today, but instead I'm sitting here thinking about all of the things I should be cleaning! Thanks in advance for any advice!

It could be because you're dehydrated or need to drink more water. I can tell you what could help you, Ted hose or an abdominal Binder until you get the matter figured out. Hopefully one of the nurses can chime in and give you more clues.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Sounds like blood pressure issues. Invest in an inexpensive blood pressure monitor. Get on Midodrine from your doc. I had really bad bp issues.. got on 5 mg. of Midodrine and took it morning, lunch and dinner. Now, I cut them in half and rarely need them. It's a process to get your bp to level out.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Before trying meds, try the ted hose like rybread suggested. Keep hydrated, eat something salty. Caffeine raises blood pressure but might screw w/your bladder.
    I don't know anything about TM but this is common in SCI.

When my bp was really low in the ICU, they first started me on Dopamine, but then just kept me on plain 'ole Sudafed to increase it.
    I do agree though that an abdominal binder and increasing fluids would be your best option to try first. It is odd though that it just started all of a sudden, so if those things don't work definately call your dr.

Oh yea I've seen you on Aparalyzed, but never on here-so welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    It could be because you're dehydrated or need to drink more water. I can tell you what could help you, Ted hose or an abdominal Binder until you get the matter figured out. Hopefully one of the nurses can chime in and give you more clues.
    Hi Rybread. You had some good suggestions. I don't think I was dehydrated, but I did drink a lot when I was able to get up. I have some ted hose that I never wear anymore, but I doubt I would have been able to put them on without passing out. Maybe I should start wearing them more.

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff View Post
    Sounds like blood pressure issues. Invest in an inexpensive blood pressure monitor. Get on Midodrine from your doc. I had really bad bp issues.. got on 5 mg. of Midodrine and took it morning, lunch and dinner. Now, I cut them in half and rarely need them. It's a process to get your bp to level out.
    I wonder if I can find a blood pressure monitor that talks. I'm also blind. If I can that could come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by mimin View Post
    Before trying meds, try the ted hose like rybread suggested. Keep hydrated, eat something salty. Caffeine raises blood pressure but might screw w/your bladder.
    I don't know anything about TM but this is common in SCI.
    I didn't have anything salty near me, but I did drink some caffeine once I could sit up. It seemed to help somewhat, but I'm not sure if it was the caffeine, or just that I was feeling better anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by quad79 View Post
    When my bp was really low in the ICU, they first started me on Dopamine, but then just kept me on plain 'ole Sudafed to increase it.
    I do agree though that an abdominal binder and increasing fluids would be your best option to try first. It is odd though that it just started all of a sudden, so if those things don't work definately call your dr.

Oh yea I've seen you on Aparalyzed, but never on here-so welcome!
    I had been given Dopamine a few times while int he hospital, but then my blood pressure although it went up and down a lot didn't get to the point where I needed anything for it. I didn't know Sudafed did that!

Usually when I'm in an upright position my blood pressure drops really fast. If I'm swimming and my legs straighten in the pool when I'm upright it makes me really dizzy sometimes to the point I feel like I'm going to be sick, but that's the only thing that does that.

I've been feeling pretty unwelcomed on Apparelyzed lately because of a couple of people, so I decided to stay away from there and find out what the people here are like instead. I didn't do anything or say anything to anyone there, but one person disagreed about something from another site without knowing anything about me or the situation and then some else went along with her. I just thought it was best to not provoke them any further and find somewhere new. Hopefully people here are not that quick to jump to conclusions and bully.
    Last edited by KimAndSophie; 11-09-2008 at 03:17 PM. Reason: I forgot to reply to someone.

I've been feeling pretty unwelcomed on Apparelyzed lately because of a couple of people, so I decided to stay away from there and find out what the people here are like instead. I didn't do anything or say anything to anyone there, but one person disagreed about something from another site without knowing anything about me or the situation and then some else went along with her. I just thought it was best to not provoke them any further and find somewhere new. Hopefully people here are not that quick to jump to conclusions and bully.

Sorry about that Kim. There's a lot of good people around here. It's a much bigger board here though and a lot of threads get ruined here too unfortunately. Hope you like it here better though. It's also a plus since we have the nurses, hopefully one will chime in soon with suggestions for you.

-Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by quad79 View Post

Sorry about that Kim. There's a lot of good people around here. It's a much bigger board here though and a lot of threads get ruined here too unfortunately. Hope you like it here better though. It's also a plus since we have the nurses, hopefully one will chime in soon with suggestions for you.

-Shannon
    Thanks Shannon! I don't usually let disagreements bother me much because everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but this was pretty much a personal attack on me. I don't know if they knew I was a member of the forum or not, but what's been said is said and it's too late to take it back now.

I do like that there are nurses on this forum. That has to be pretty helpful!

Read your website Kim. You've definately had some trials in your life! Brave-on to you for overcoming! If you went to Dalhousie - are you in Nova Scotia then? A beautiful province, but I'm not so sure I'd like to see it in the winter.

I find I get lightheaded if I'm tired. TM can cause fatigue and I have to be ever-mindful of getting enough rest. The blood pressure thing is probably figured in there too.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Read your website Kim. You've definately had some trials in your life! Brave-on to you for overcoming! If you went to Dalhousie - are you in Nova Scotia then? A beautiful province, but I'm not so sure I'd like to see it in the winter.

I find I get lightheaded if I'm tired. TM can cause fatigue and I have to be ever-mindful of getting enough rest. The blood pressure thing is probably figured in there too.
    I'm from Newfoundland, but moved to Nova Scotia for University. The winter's weren't too bad there. I lived in the US for awhile, but I'm in Ontario now. LOL you can probably tell that I don't stay in one place for very long.

I get light headed if I'm tired, thirsty, need to pee, the list goes on lol! Pretty much whenever my body decides it's time to do anything, but it goes away pretty fast once I figure out what it needed. I know exactly what you mean about the fatigue. I can sleep for 18 hrs, wake up tired and feel like I need to sleep again 20 minutes after I'm up. The last time I woke up and felt like I was rested was in 2004! I remember the morning lol. Isn't that weird? It was the last good night's sleep I got. Now I wake up 10 plus times a night and feel worse when I wake up than I did before I went to sleep. My boyfriend gets pretty freaked out sometimes because he'll wake up and it will be a long time between my breaths and then I'll breathe in a lot of air and go back to normal breathing, so maybe that has something to do with things.

Do you feel rested after you sleep? I've also noticed that when I get sick I'm like a zombie and pretty much sleep 24hrs until I'm better now. Any little thing sucks the energy right out of me.