Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paralyzed man back on his feet after embryonic stem cell therapy

Paralyzed man back on his feet after embryonic stem cell therapy

http://www.gjsentinel.com/hp/content...eech_folo.html

'Unbelievable': Paralyzed man back on his feet after embryonic stem cell therapy

Click-2-Listen
    By MELINDA MAWDSLEY
    The Daily Sentinel

Monday, April 28, 2008

Rusty Leech was trying to tighten his abdominal muscles while lifting weights at St. Mary’s Life Center earlier this month, when he had “a weird sensation” near his stomach.

“I felt the waistband of my pants,” Leech said.

Normally, people feeling their pants around their waist is not noteworthy.

But Rusty is a paraplegic and had not felt pants on his body for more than nine years.

The recently acquired ability to feel his waist is one in a series of physical breakthroughs Rusty has made in the months since The Daily Sentinel’s December stories about him. Rusty attributes each newfound feeling to embryonic stem cell therapy.

In December, Rusty and his wife Kathy, both 50, landed in Delhi, India, with the hope that nearly $35,000, two months of physical therapy and embryonic stem cell injections would enable Rusty to feel something below his waist again.

Im sorry but this stuff upsets me to see people wright this because this is not anything you couldn't have done on your own with good therapy and it's just false hope.

Quote Originally Posted by atvnut
    Im sorry but this stuff upsets me to see people wright this because this is not anything you couldn't have done on your own with good therapy and it's just false hope.

What are you talking about? Good therapy won't bring back sensation. it is ancedotal but you can't write off sensation return as good therapy especially after 9 years...

I haven't looked into the details of the story but on the exterior it looks interesting...

Thumbs down

Not another one of "those" stories.

No offense KBK.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky
    Not another one of "those" stories.

No offense KBK.
    I want to keep on reading about "those" stories. KEEP posting.

I was talking about the fact that he is walking with kafo and notthe sensation if indeed he did get sensation back , I have seen what good therapy can do for you and right now none of this stuff is proven to work , I do believe that someday it will but at the momment therapy is the only way safely to better yourself

Quote Originally Posted by eks
    I want to keep on reading about "those" stories. KEEP posting.
    The only problem with such stories is the uneducated read them and figure we could walk too, if only we'd try and quit being lazy. And then there are the ones that start saving up their money, because if this guy can feel his waistband, THEY will def be healed completely.

But yeah, by all means, keep posting. Don't be surprised when ppl yell BS, but of course keep posting.
    Last edited by betheny; 04-29-2008 at 02:44 PM.

look I don't want too dash any ones hopes I do believe we are headed in the right direction just right now i'm not sure I would be standing in line to have this done and know one ever wants to talks about the people who have lost sensation and function from doing these therapies. For me it is upsetting to see headings that make claims that a paralyzed man walks from a therapy when he could have done this on his on with good training , if he did get sensation back from it that is great but don't make claims that he walked in kafo from it was my point of view.

not my headline , I just copied what I found in the paper and shared. Like many of you here, I have a child who cant walk. He is not injured, but has a neuromuscular disease and I look for hope here. Stories like these whether true or not are important for people to read and discuss. If no one shares their story, how would anyone know what is really a cure or a step towards cure and what is BS ?

The most interesting part of this story to me is that this man had been paralyzed for 9 years. It appears that any recovery and the return after 9 years would indeed by due to the stem cell transplant, and not therapy. This is indeed hopeful. It is too bad that GB and crew more or less have stopped stem cell research for 8 years and we are not reading about the therapy being applied in the U.S. Kudos to India!