Thread: SSDI & rental property

SSDI & rental property

I just bought a house in upstate NY because that's where my family lives. I would love to move back and be closer to my family, but for now I'm working. There are no handicap accessible apartments in my home town, so that's why I wanted a place of my own. I'm having the apartment remodeled for me right now. This place has an apartment upstairs that I rent out.

I wanted to know if the income from this apartment will effect what I get for SSDI, if/or when I have to stop working. I get $550 a month for this apartment, will that be subtracted from what I would get from SSDI?

I don't think so. SSDI is not based on passive income but on earned income. But not sure. You may want to check their website. www.ssa.gov

I found this.

Great to hear Daniel!! I am pretty well convinced this is not earned income and shouldn't count any more than my 457 plan disbursements but I concur with others - scour that ssa website until you have definite answer.

Thanks guys

I will have to do my research before I decide when I will stop working.
    Last edited by danielgr; 04-29-2008 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by danielgr
    I just bought a house in upstate NY because that's where my family lives. I would love to move back and be closer to my family, but for now I'm working. There are no handicap accessible apartments in my home town, so that's why I wanted a place of my own. I'm having the apartment remodeled for me right now. This place has an apartment upstairs that I rent out.

I wanted to know if the income from this apartment will effect what I get for SSDI, if/or when I have to stop working. I get $550 a month for this apartment, will that be subtracted from what I would get from SSDI?
    No it does not affect your SSDI. I have a rental as well. The only thing that affects your SSDI is income you get from working.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

No. SSDI is independent of all income except work. I rented my parents' house for yrs while on SSDI, well, my 2nd house as they were gone. I've had an accountant do my taxes for yrs.