Thread: Side leaning presure reliefs for pressure sore prevention

Post Side leaning presure reliefs for pressure sore prevention

Within the past couple of years I have been doing side leaning pressure reliefs and it works like a charm. For those that can, just lean over to one side for a minute or two and then the other side. You can tell it takes pressure off the opposite butt cheek as you can get a hand under there if your doing it right. For Quads, you could have somebody help you lean over.

This technique saves the shoulders from doing lifts and is much more easy than doing the push up method, plus it attracts a lot less attention when around groups of people.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 04-28-2008 at 01:14 AM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

The only problem with that is you put alot more pressue on the other side and risk bottoming out....best way for para is push up or if you can bend over and touch the floor or foot rest and lift r ass up . I like my tilt electric chair...and can take a break and watch tv at the same time.

Art
    Art

There are basically 4 methods for doing weight shifts. Every 15 minute weight shifts are recommended. In order of effectiveness:

* Push ups: Requires full clearance of the buttocks from the cushion, generally for 15 seconds. Difficult without triceps, can take a toll on shoulders.

* Forward leans: chest must go all the way down onto the knees. Difficult with limited hip range or if you don't have triceps to push back up. May be unsafe or impossible for those newly injured who have a TLSO or recent lumbar spinal surgery. Position should be held at least 15 seconds.

* Side to side leans: For effectiveness, each cheek should be totally unweighted for at least 15 seconds each time this is done. Easier on shoulders, generally just requires, but does increase pressure on the opposite cheek.

* Tilt back (ideally tilt in space): Reclines are not as good as tilt in space as they add a significant shearing component to the skin. Puts pressure onto the sacrum to partially unload the ischiums though, so not as good as those techniques above, but better than no weight shifts at all. To be effective, the angle between the back and the floor must be less than 45 degrees during the tilt, and the tilt should be held for approximately 1 minute. Usually done with a power chair.

(KLD)

I kind of do a mixture of pushup/lean. I use armrest to push up and to the side with one arm at a time, leaning onto the other armrest. It clears the one side and doesn't add much extra onto the other. In fact when I got pressure mapped one time doing it, the guy was surprised to find that it actually relieved pressure from both sides even though I was only pushing with one arm.

Doesn't take near as much effort, or toll to do it this way. Almost like just doing a "straightarm" off the armrest.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

I've been leaning over side to side for years. The one problem I've had with it is my back gets relatively sore and my hamstring muscles haven't tightened up to help with my balance.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I was pressure mapped also and found that leaning forward and just leaning slightly side-side and half tilt works for me. I'm c4

the leaning side to side is what i learned in rehab.
    oh well