View Poll Results: What is your monthly SSDI check ater Medicare?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • < $200

6 4.41%
  • $200-$499

7 5.15%
  • $500-$799

17 12.50%
  • $800-$999

20 14.71%
  • $1000-$1299

21 15.44%
  • $>$1300

65 47.79%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Ssdi

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue
    What makes me sad is the rule about only making $940. Why can someone only getting $700 a month only make $940 while someone getting over $1500 can also make $940 and not lose benefits.
    I was always told if you made money....any money....working even part time....you risk the chance of losing your SSDI. Never herd about this 940 dollar stuff before....am sure SS would say if you can make 940....you can make more.....and risk the chance of losing benefits.
    If you do work and earn money....no matter the amount you are suppose to report it to SS....then you have opened the door to hell. One of my friends tried that...part time work....a lousy 300 a month...he found out he couldn't do it after awhile and had to get a lawyer to get his SSDI back. I told him why you wanna risk 1200 a month for a lousy 300=1500. He got a letter from SSDI saying he was gona lose his benefits...why the lawyer...in the end....after 2 years of hell....he got it back...at the cost of his house in the meantime. Be carefull people...the goverment want you off of it...they don't care about you.

Art
    Last edited by Art454; 04-28-2008 at 02:31 PM.
    Art

$0.

I'm self-employed & pay health insurance out-of-pocket.

It works out alright for now, although some months have been tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Art454
    I was always told if you made money....any money....working even part time....you risk the chance of losing your SSDI. Never herd about this 940 dollar stuff before....am sure SS would say if you can make 940....you can make more.....and risk the chance of losing benefits.
    If you do work and earn money....no matter the amount you are suppose to report it to SS....then you have opened the door to hell. One of my friends tried that...part time work....a lousy 300 a month...he found out he couldn't do it after awhile and had to get a lawyer to get his SSDI back.
    Art
    You can make upto $940 per month without losing benefits (SSDI). Your friend may have been collecting SSI. Different rules apply.

Quote Originally Posted by ginamarie
    You can make upto $940 per month without losing benefits (SSDI). Your friend may have been collecting SSI. Different rules apply.
    NO. He was on SSDI...He has MD.....I found him the lawyer...but it was like 5 years ago it happened....hell they change the rules all the time now I see....new someone else who did the ticket to work program...another ticket to hell that was to....the goverment will try and get you off of it even if it means u get screwed....all am saying is be real real carefull people.

Art
    Art

What really pisses me off...most anybody today that files for SSDI disabilty...you have to file...get rejected...hire a lawyer...to get what u put in the lousy system.....then have to pay your lawyer around 25% of what they recover....So if they give you 2 years to live....you file for SSDI.... you never see your SSDI....takes like 2 or 3 years to get to court with it.
    Talk about BULLSHIT....Goverment at its best...So who is F?????? who?

Art
    Art

I got approved right away with no rejection and no attorney, just a shitload of medical records and a state senator. It should be noted that if you try the trial work period during the first year of benefits, SSDI does not consider you to be disabled and will cancel you out. Check all laws before you try anything having to do with making money in addition to your SSDI. The SS office will not tell you everything, and you may be screwed, because they are not on your side. They do not work to benefit you.

(they ARE out to get us! )
    Last edited by skippy13; 04-28-2008 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen
    Out of fairness, I think they have to keep the amount someone can make the same, and since SSDI is based on your income when you became disabled it is natural that some people have more than others, much as they did while working. It means they also paid in more over the years they worked.
    Well it's a sore spot for me bc I made good money. I just didn't work for several years 2000 - 2003 until my son got in preschool. That's the only time since I was 14 I didn't have a paycheck. My husband (now ex) was working 2 jobs paying in so I could do that. It kind of punishes the stay at home parents.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13
    I got approved right away with no rejection and no attorney, just a shitload of medical records and a state senator. It should be noted that if you try the trial work period during the first year of benefits, SSDI does not consider you to be disabled and will cancel you out. Check all laws before you try anything having to do with making money in addition to your SSDI. The SS office will not tell you everything, and you may be screwed, because they are not on your side. They do not work to benefit you.

(they ARE out to get us! )
    They do not work to benefit you. This is what really really pisses me off to.
    What happened to....WE THE PEOPLE?
    I been trying to sell my 71 vette....Saturday a guy came and look at it...we got talking....He works for a trucking company....called...ROADWAY....he said he got a letter from teamster union...saying there was no more money in his retirement....he still working for them and after 25 years his retirement is gone. This is just the tip of the iceburg thats coming.

Art
    Art

art, i don't know the circumstances of your friends, but it doesn't sound routine. 22 yrs ago my accident happened. i returned to work a year later, remained on ssdi for a few yrs while working pt because my work related expenses offset my significant gainful activity, as defined by ssa, so i made more than the allowed monthly amount (which was then $500). now it is 940.

in any case, you do not lose eligibility for ssdi just because you choose to go off it and work. when you reach a point you can no longer work, you apply again. maybe if you keep bouncing back and forth they question you, i don't know. after all, ssdi is not unemployment ins.

i just spoke briefly with an attorney about my current situation and she said i should be a slam dunk for getting on it again. she didn't think i would need her help. i think a lot has to do with who you talk to. in my case, i am fortunate to have grown up with someone who is now a chief judge. all my legal referrals come from her.

and yes, i know all about the 2 yr wait for medicare after ssdi award, interim std, ltd, dis retirement (at my company) etc. in fact, i can be on medical leave of absence for 30 months, which means i retain my full health/dental ins. benefits throughout that time period.

I think it's interesting that nearly 50% receive over >1300 from SSDI after medicare.
    Daniel