View Poll Results: What is your monthly SSDI check ater Medicare?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • < $200

6 4.41%
  • $200-$499

7 5.15%
  • $500-$799

17 12.50%
  • $800-$999

20 14.71%
  • $1000-$1299

21 15.44%
  • $>$1300

65 47.79%
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ssdi

Ssdi

Was wondering the range of payments and why? Just SSDI and not SSI.

It varies based on how much you money you put into the system and over what amount of time.
    Daniel

this is not tough math. ssdi is based on earnings and quarters worked. simple. just like any benefit paid in to via a paycheck..my ssdi amt has grown every yr i have worked. in fact, it now exceeds my ss retirement. and, once i take ssdi (which i prob will here in next coupla yrs), should i make it to retirement age (HA!) my ssdi payment just rolls over to same higher amt. somebody remind me why i keep thinkin i should keep workin in pain....

ssi is not anything anybody has paid in to, except indirectly, like welfare. the recipients of such have not paid in, or they'd be up for ssdi.
    Last edited by cass; 04-27-2008 at 02:22 AM.

Exactly. SSDI is based mostly on income and time worked. It is insurance.

SSI is not based on that. The amount paid under SSI (essentially welfare) is based primarily on where you live, being unemployed due to a disability, and not being eligible for SSDI.

(KLD)

I think a poll on this will make some sad..

Art
    Art

why art? it's all about work benefits. maybe it should help ppl understand the benefits if one can work, and understand the politics in the upcoming election. some talk, some do. we need national health ins. but it needs to be better than some i've seen in other countries.

i'll tell ya what makes me sad: 21 yrs of working in pain and now i can't do it any more and i not only am left with medicare but it takes more than 2 yrs to get it (2 yrs after they decide this quad can get ssdi which can be a 6 month period).

we need a national health ins. that reflects the great doctors and facilities we have here.
    Last edited by cass; 04-28-2008 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    why art? it's all about work benefits. maybe it should help ppl understand the benefits if one can work, and understand the politics in the upcoming election. some talk, some do. we need national health ins. but it needs to be better than some i've seen in other countries.

i'll tell ya what makes me sad: 21 yrs of working in pain and now i can't do it any more and i not only am left with medicare but it takes more than 2 yrs to get it (2 yrs after they decide this quad can get ssdi which can be a 6 month period).

we need a national health ins. that reflects the great doctors and facilities we have here.
    Even if you are approved right away, you still won't receive medicare until you have received SSDI for 24 months. So, it will be about 2 1/2 years before you can get the medicare at the earliest, no matter what. You should be able to cobra (if you can afford it) your work insurance, in the mean time. But you might want to go on short term disability and then long term disability through you job first. You will typically receive more income this way and still keep your healthcare. LTD can last for years. Then go for SSDI. Can you get a disability pension at work?

when i was working i use to get a letter every year or every other , can't remember. it was from SS and told you if you retired today what you would get or if you became dis what you would get.
    oh well

Quote Originally Posted by Art454
    I think a poll on this will make some sad..

Art
    What makes me sad is the rule about only making $940. Why can someone only getting $700 a month only make $940 while someone getting over $1500 can also make $940 and not lose benefits.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue
    What makes me sad is the rule about only making $940. Why can someone only getting $700 a month only make $940 while someone getting over $1500 can also make $940 and not lose benefits.
    Out of fairness, I think they have to keep the amount someone can make the same, and since SSDI is based on your income when you became disabled it is natural that some people have more than others, much as they did while working. It means they also paid in more over the years they worked.