Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else having a hard time making it through the month with their SSDI

Anyone else having a hard time making it through the month with their SSDI

I live off my Social Security disability checks which are over $1400 a month which used to leave me with a couple hundred dollars left over a month but it seems like lately, I don't have any money left over and am even going over a little bit sometimes. All I eat is home-cooked food and have noticed that groceries have gotten significantly more expensive. I barely leave the grocery store without spending $35-$40 just to get a couple of things for breakfast and dinner for the next few days. And then there's gas, which we all know there's a huge problem with. It's a good thing I don't have places to go every day or I would be screwed. I was budgeted perfectly six months ago and now everything is way out of whack. Is anyone else having problems making it through the month with their disability checks?
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

$1400 ?? How did you manage to get that? Count yourself lucky man.

how can you afford housing?

You're fortunate to be on SSDI, I only qualify for SSI which comes to ~$650 per month. I'm forced to rely on my parents for help and go without.

I'd say review your expenses again and carefully study everything you use.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Umm yea
    I have 2 kids. I get less than $1000 a month SSDI for all 3 of us. That's what I get for being a stay home mom all those years.
    I get a wopping $162 a month for child support.

SCI is loads of fun
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

I expect it to get worse because grocery prices are skyrocketing with gas.

I am fortunate like you rybread. I worked for a while and it bumped my payments up. When my daughter was small i lived on $400 a month thanks to my $3.35 hourly wage from sky city back in 1986.

I didnt get child support and she fell into some NC loophole that she couldnt draw a check off me. Then in 1998, they started sending her a check for $6.00 a month. I am not kidding and that isnt a typo. I got $6.00 a month for two years until I went back to work in 2000.

I can tell a difference in the price of everything since gas has gone up so high. I eat only at home and try to splurge once every two weeks and I am working right now not drawing SSDI.

It will be sad when people have to steal to eat....and i am afraid that is what is going to happen.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by patricks
    $1400 ?? How did you manage to get that? Count yourself lucky man.
    I had a full-time career when I got hurt, had completed a two year degree and was happily working at a Ford dealership in my chosen career as a mechanic doing interior trim, electronics and air conditioning which I had been doing for just about five years. The year I got hurt, I would've made $60,000 plus and started off getting over $1200 a month in disability which at the time was only two thirds of what my standard two-week paycheck was.

Quote Originally Posted by Cripply
    how can you afford housing?
    I was fortunate that when my grandmother passed away, her house in San Francisco was fully paid for in part of the money that the house sold for was used to build a guesthouse on my parents one acre property here in Scottsdale, Arizona. I know pay rent to my parents.

I'm not really complaining here just trying to emphasize how my disability benefits adjustment for inflation is not keeping up with inflation with the way it is going. With that money I had leftover I usually bought clothes or accessories or necessary replacement parts for my computer or for my van.
    Last edited by rybread; 04-26-2008 at 12:59 AM.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Yup. The prices are up on just about everything I think. I guess the only ones that are doing fine are Bush's buddies. Was the cost of living higher in your state before also?

I think they had something in the news today about some states having more trouble than others. Possibly being close to bankrupt.

Raven

On SSDI of $870 a mo and all but a hundred bucks of my rent covered by housing assistance, I ofter have to tighten my belt food-wise toward the end of the month. On the other hand I've invested over $600 in teas over the past year+ and then another $200 on a used wine cooler to store it in. I think I've got enough tea for a while.

Life's a bitch and then you stir-fry.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

$1400 sounds pretty good to me, it's as much or more than I've ever taken home on a regular basis even after a consistent 20 hours of overtime each pay period. That said, I don't fault anyone for feeling sqeezed either. I think that with more income almost always just comes more bills and up to a point, it pretty much is a wash. Phoenix is indeed pretty expensive, I'm sure. Hopefully things will even out and you'll catch up a little bit.

I have 41 quarters but I can't imagine I'd make any more than whatever the minimum would be on SSDI, which I don't even know what that would be. I just hope I can somehow find a job and physically do it, because if I can't then I may have to apply for SSDI myself, and that's not something I have any idea how to do or look forward to.

Tom