View Poll Results: I've taken Lyrica and...

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • didn't notice any weight gain.

8 27.59%
  • gained 1-10 pounds.

7 24.14%
  • gained 11-20.

10 34.48%
  • gained more than 20 pounds.

4 13.79%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyrica and weight gain poll

Lyrica and weight gain poll

I'm thinking about trying Lyrica for neuropathic pain and am concerned about weight gain. I've been taking Neurontin for probably 12 years now and have maxed out on the dosage. I don't think I've gained a lot with Neurontin and hoping it wouldn't be an issue with Lyrica.

What are your experiences regarding Lyrica and body weight?

I packed on the pounds in short order with Lyrica. It wasn't pretty. I'm still struggling to lose the last fifteen.

I also got major league depressed while on it and I don't do depressed often or well. Once the Lyrica had cleared my system, my mood seemed to stabilize and return to normal. It was the Lyrica. I don't have any doubts about it. My doctor agreed.

BTW, Lyrica's manufacturer has issued a new warning that if you have any sort of history of dependence on alcohol and/or drugs, there is a risk of abusing Lyrica. I learned this after I weaned off it and had returned to tried and true Neurontin/gabapentin. If you watch their ads on television, you'll catch the disclaimer about Lyrica abuse when the voice-over announcer lists a few side effects.

If you make the switch, just watch things. I was surprised how quickly my body and affect changed with Lyrica.

I started taking Lyrica back in 2004 and have had no weight gain. Glad I made the switch.... I will never go back to Neurontin. </IMG>

LaMemChose, did you eat more or the same during the time you were taking Lyrica?

I have a doctors appointment May 1st and am going to give it a try. I hate taking pills, but this nerve pain is killing me. I feel like we are becoming enslaved to the pharmaceutical companies and continuously waiting for the new wonder drug to hit the market.

I had an increased appetite, but it was not increased enough to have caused the weight gain I experienced. IMO, my metabolism really slowed while I was on Lyrica.

I know of another CC member who experienced the same. I don't know if that member is the one who posted above about gaining better than 20 lb. from Lyrica, but I know I'm not the only one.

Just be aware of your weight and also, your mood overall. I was most distressed about the depression. It came from nowhere and was thick and deep. When the Lyrica cleared, I began to get back to being me.

You may not have the same side fx. I hope the Lyrica works for you without adverse effects. I wish something would address the stinging/buzzing/electrical humming sensations I have where I have feeling from shoulders down because it's maddening. I haven't found the solution that works for me. I hope Lyrica is the one for you.

Quote Originally Posted by doingtimeonmyass
    LaMemChose, did you eat more or the same during the time you were taking Lyrica?

I have a doctors appointment May 1st and am going to give it a try. I hate taking pills, but this nerve pain is killing me. I feel like we are becoming enslaved to the pharmaceutical companies and continuously waiting for the new wonder drug to hit the market.

Talking

peace love and good health to all
    here we go i am 71 years old white widow 13 years
    raising three grandaughters and thir dad of course our baby boy
    i have been blessed with good health mostly
    had five children a little bout of t. b. sanatiorum four months medicine two years in remission
    a few broken ribs
    any way two yeard ago i got pneumonea couldnt breath hospitilized four days they said c.o.p.d
    on oxygen and enhalers and alburtural
    ok doing fine right except i was steadily losing weight went from 130 to 110
    then out of the blue woke up one morning with the most horrible pain all left front side
    went to e.r. said i had bacterial pneumonea
    but this terrible pain settled in my pinky on left hand
    i tryed all the o.v.c. and nothing helped dr. even gave me some darvacettes no help
    i was in agony
    had a m. r. i. and dr said i had a lot of arthritis in my back he gave me some lyrica andwithin one hour of taking the first pill my pain was totally gone i have not had any side effects
    so for me its a miracle
    but you know the old saying one persons poison is anothers cup of tea
    good luck and good health

I've been on lyrica for just 1 month! Had no idea about the weight gain! I was on neuronton for ever and just stayed sleepy! I still suffer from the burning pain! However, I'm just not as drowsy!

I've been on lyrica for about 3 months now. My appetite increased a lot at first. It has tapered down to where it was before I started. I haven't really gained any weight. I'm still playing with the dosage because it makes me tired.

Was on Gabapentin for almost two years and just started taking the Lyrica about a month ago. They tried it for a week about a month earlier on a small dose, 50mg once a day, it was a nasty week. My reg doctor wanted to give it another try at a higher dose, I'm glad I agreed. For me, it's working way better.

The blasted Gabapentin caused a weight gain for me, about twenty-five pounds worth. I'm on a diet now and am hoping to get rid of it.

It was worth changing to Lyrica for me. I hope it works for you.

Well I am starting to substitute Lyrica for gabapentin and so far it seems to be making a difference. I'm still in the ramp up stages.