Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what exactly is a quad belly?

Hi all, I had a question about the infamous quad belly. I understand the concept of the quad belly, that our lack of abdominal muscles does not keep things contained, but once lying down wouldn’t the quad belly disappear?

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    Hi all, I had a question about the infamous quad belly. I understand the concept of the quad belly, that our lack of abdominal muscles does not keep things contained, but once lying down wouldn’t the quad belly disappear?
    It usually does unless there is an abundance of fat. I am thin and when sitting I still have a quad belly. However, when lying down, my abdomen is actually concave in the first few inches below my ribs.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

What would work better a tummy tuck or lipo? Or is there something better. I'm a c6 complete.

Louie I am a incomplete quad

I'll ask a Dr possibly tomorrow about lipo or a tummy tuck

You asked a kool question

Over the years I am not able to do crunches or abdominal excercises due to the fact I had surgery in my abdomen a few yrs ago and it bothers me right now . A Dr Friend of mine gave me this surgeons phone #

Let ya all know what I find out ....

Sincerely ; GL

Thanks GL, what part of tx u in?

Hi SCI Nurse,

Could the abdominal binder be worn 24/7 to help with the quad belly?

Or, should it be for a certain number of hours in the day?

Only when sitting up/getting up in a wheelchair. It can cause skin problems if left on 24/7. Some people do need to wear theirs when on the commode/shower chair too.

(KLD)

My injury was at c4/5 (incomplete) 16 years ago...I'm now 33 and definitely have something of a "quad-belly" or gut that I'm not so fond of. Then again I'm not fond of a lot of the changes to my body (and body image) after I got hurt. I guess we just have to accept the things that happen to us that we can't change...

Hey KLD,

Just wondering... would the abdominal binder be kept on when eating?

Could we place the binder on top of the hospital gown?

Reason: while in the ICU, my Dad could sit up for over 5-6 hours (90 degrees) -- they were helping to prep him for rehab. But in rehab and now, he is left on his back (in bed) and is lucky to get into a chair once a week. So, the goal for me is to sit him up in bed cuz it seems to help with his breathing too - they'll help put him in an upright position in bed for mealtimes.

And, yes, the belly is getting larger. But, another contributing reason is that he is eating but also he is getting fed via the peg -- so, even if he eats 75% of two meals, he'll get the liquid feeding as well. So, it's like eating 5 full meals per day. Big tummy!

Quad belly is caused not by fat, but by the abdominal wall paralysis, and overstretching of the abdominal muscles from the weight of the internal organs while sitting. Generally it is not needed or helpful to wear it in bed.

I would be very concerned about them having him sitting up in bed this much daily, as this adds to pressure ulcer risk, even on a LAL mattress like he is on, due to increased shear and friction whenever the head of the bed is over 30 degrees. Much better for him to be moved to as reclining or tilt-in-space wheelchair from the bed, and develop sitting tolerance (with the binder, TEDs and ace wraps) there, as long as someone gives him wheelchair weight shifts every 15 minutes or so.

(KLD)