Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Display of Parking Placard

Display of Parking Placard

I got a ticket this past weekend for parking in a handicap spot. Went to see a movie with my family and came out to find a ticket on the windshield. My question is: What are the rules for the display of the parking placard?

My placard broke this winter due to getting brittle in the cold. I’ve read that the requirement is either hanging from the rear view mirror or prominently displayed on the dashboard. Since the top part of the placard broke I’ve been leaving it on the dashboard thinking I m complying with the law.

I can t find anything specific for display of the placards with respect to the state of Michigan or on a national level. I am going to admit responsibility with an explanation and would like to back up my belief with an official document or quote from an actual law. Of course, I may be wrong and I d like to know that as well before I make more of an ass of myself. So far all I’ve got is admission from one of the lieutenants on duty that there is nothing he could find specifying how the placard must be displayed.

One of the ironic things about this incident is that this is the third time I’ve gone to the movies but only the first time I’ve been able to park in a handicap spot. The first time I couldn’t get a handicap spot someone parked next to me, in a non-parking area, and blocked me from getting my chair into my car. The second time nobody blocked me but it was still a hundred yards through the snow to the entrance. This time it was a nice day, and less than half the handicap spots were taken.
    Injured 7-22-06, T-11 T-12 complete. [Holds up cardboard sign] "Will work for returns."
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

I generally see placards either on the dashboard or hanging from the mirror.

To contest the ticket, just bring in a photocopy of the placard and/or the ID paper that came with it, along with the ticket, into where you normally pay tickets.

Sometimes the ticketing people don't even bother looking at the dashboard, just at the license plate.
    4/6/97, car accident, C5. http://raccoon-kathleen.blogspot.com/

Could it be perhaps that the police officer did not see the tag on your winshield? One of my friends had the same situation happen as you...and went to court with the tag in hand. All he did is show the judge the tag and he was free to go. I think you could also just bring it to the station and they can dismiss the ticket as well. Good luck to you!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

I am sure that if you take your broken placard to the license branch, that they will replace it with a new one. In Indiana they gave me a new one and there was no cost.
    "If everything is under control, you are going too slow." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon
    I generally see placards either on the dashboard or hanging from the mirror.

To contest the ticket, just bring in a photocopy of the placard and/or the ID paper that came with it, along with the ticket, into where you normally pay tickets.

Sometimes the ticketing people don't even bother looking at the dashboard, just at the license plate.
    Unfortunately can't contest without going to court. I'm sure the officer didn't see the placard on the dash...I'd be more upset if I thought he was trying to make a point about it not being on the mirror. My option to settle without going to court is to accept responsibility with an explanation. If they don't agree with what I write, they assess the fine or a portion of it.
    Injured 7-22-06, T-11 T-12 complete. [Holds up cardboard sign] "Will work for returns."
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach
    Could it be perhaps that the police officer did not see the tag on your winshield? One of my friends had the same situation happen as you...and went to court with the tag in hand. All he did is show the judge the tag and he was free to go. I think you could also just bring it to the station and they can dismiss the ticket as well. Good luck to you!
    I d like to keep my vacation days for other uses but if it looks like I can't back up what I thought was correct I'd rather go to court than take a chance on some faceless person assessing any portion of a fine.

I did go to the police station within thirty minutes of when the ticket was written. When I asked if there was a way to take care of the ticket I was told in a very cold tone to, "take care of it in court". That's when I made an ass of myself, by saying a few choice words, and refusing to leave when they ordered me to. I didn't get thrown in jail but the officer did go on to explain how there is absolutely no way to undo a ticket once it is written.

Quote Originally Posted by Manix5
    I am sure that if you take your broken placard to the license branch, that they will replace it with a new one. In Indiana they gave me a new one and there was no cost.
    There is a $10 fee for a lost placard but no mention of whether they will replace a broken one. The problem is that the placard is not designed to fit a vehicle with a large diameter attachment of the mirror to the windshield. I think it will probably just break again when the weather gets cold. I dislike spending time at the Secretary of State office. If you can get out in an hour you are doing pretty good.

display of placard is governed by state, i believe. when you received your placard, you should have received the rules. usually, i think it has to be hanging from the mirror and be intact. i don't think that's asking much....if it is, get plates and don't worry bout it.

Quote Originally Posted by FasterNow
    There is a $10 fee for a lost placard but no mention of whether they will replace a broken one. The problem is that the placard is not designed to fit a vehicle with a large diameter attachment of the mirror to the windshield. I think it will probably just break again when the weather gets cold. I dislike spending time at the Secretary of State office. If you can get out in an hour you are doing pretty good.
    oh i just read this. i'm shutting my mouth. you can't get a chain to attach it? geesh. please explain.

eta, that sounded harsh. i'm sorry, but i don't understand your complaint. i grew up in iowa, so know bout cold weather.

Last edited by orangejello; 04-24-2008 at 03:29 PM.