Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really random question... sneezing?

Really random question... sneezing?

Hello there all... first time poster.

I have some form of Myelitis since October 2006. Not really transverse nor ADEM b/c it went all the way from the medula down to S4. I was completely paralyzed from nose down with a trach, feeding tube... the whole works. I am seeing steady progress and am walking about 400 feet with a walker. I can't complain with my progress seeing as i'm getting stronger everyday (even if its ridiculously slow).

I have a really random question for non-traumatic SCIs... its the most bizzare thing. Since i got sick i have not been able to sneeze! I get the full sensation and i almost sneeze, but it just won't come out! No doctor can give me a straight answer without laughing first and asking me if i miss sneezing...

I was just curious if anyone else has had this... i've never met another myeliti to ask them. Anyone got any explanations?

Hi I have transverse mylitis 6 years now. At first i could not sneeze. It took at least 2 years for me to start sneezing again but the sneezes are very weak. Anty
    For every minute you're angry you lose a second of happiness

A sneeze is “is a semi-autonomous, convulsive expulsion of air from the lungs.” I googled it.

I had a spinal cord stroke and my Neurologist said my autonomic tracks were affected the most; sweating, temperature, pain, B&B. I would think this is part of that same system, but it is just a guess. My sneeze is tiny almost non existent, but I have not lost the ability all together.

I to have strange, weak sneezes. I am t7-8 complete.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

At least one previous thread discussed this. My wife (T-5) can make only a pitiful little snort from her upper chest instead of a good, satisfying, snot/object-expelling sneeze from the gut muscles. Others have commented on a "kitten sneeze."
    You can tell the docs it's not something for them to laugh at - sneezing has a purpose, and it wouldn't exist if it didn't convey a greater likelihood of survival.
    - Richard

good to know, thanks! I'm amazed at how fast i got a reply, Wow!

There is nothing wrong with your sneeze reflex or cough reflex (unless you also have a brain injury or disease that affects the brainstem).

A full, blow-out-the-nose sneeze is similar to a cough in the muscles that are needed, including strong abdominals and intercostal (between rib) muscles. If you have paralysis of your abdominals and to an extent your intercostals you will have a very weak cough and sneeze. I call them little "quad sneezes"...sort of just a little wheeze, just like an unassisted cough is more like a throat clearing.

When people with this degree of paralysis have a cold they may need to use a bulb syringe and Q-tip to clean out their nose so they can breathe (like you would do for an infant).

(KLD)

I have that problem too.. my sneeze is finally getting stronger after 4 years of having TM.
    I am T1 incomplete para, with some sensory involvement at C5-6..

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse

A full, blow-out-the-nose sneeze is similar to a cough in the muscles that are needed, including strong abdominals and intercostal (between rib) muscles. If you have paralysis of your abdominals and to an extent your intercostals you will have a very weak cough and sneeze.

(KLD)
    Thanks KLD, it makes more sense now. When I sneeze, something is definately missing. And this sounds silly, but there isn't that satisfactory "finished" feeling I used to get after a sneeze. It is closer to that feeling that you are going to sneeze, and then you don't if you follow?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Is your Mom typing this?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.