Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Know an easy cheap way to get a manual chair up into a house??

Know an easy cheap way to get a manual chair up into a house??

My girlfriend's house has about 6-7 steps in front and a deck in the back with about 5 steps. Usually I get carried up the steps but that means at least 2 people and I have to switch off my power assist wheels to my Spinergys.

Is there like a cheap easy solution for a few steps? I think the deck would be the better option; fewer steps. We have a portable ramp at home but I don't think it's long enough, it's probably good for like 2-3 steps. Thank you all.
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org

divindarren they make portable ramps can you usually find one used for around 100 dollars it would be steep but if you have power assist wheels you should be ok
    bmc

i had this same problem for getting my girlfriend into the house, my solution was to go down to the hardware store and pick up a 12' 2x6, and a couple of steel lip attachments, cut the 2x6 in half and attach the one lip to the end of each, then cut the other end at a 15 degree angle, or whatever angle will let that end sit flat on the ground.
    They work really well and are easy to toss in the van and take anywhere we go. Im adding plywood sides because she gets nervous because of how narrow they are. But thats not required. The whole thing cost me about $30 and was done in about an hour, hope this helps you out

Hey Balt, any way for you to post a picture of what you built?
    Dave E. C6-7 Incomp. Quad 9-06

"NEVER LOSE SIGHT OF YOUR DREAMS!"
    "THERE IS NOTHING BETTER FOR THE INSIDE OF A MAN / WOMAN THAN THE OUTSIDE OF A HORSE"

Yeah a picture would be great. Sounds like I'll try and do that, but a picture would be helpful.
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org

Quote Originally Posted by divin'darren
    Yeah a picture would be great. Sounds like I'll try and do that, but a picture would be helpful.
    If you're going to pretty much leave it in place and don't have to carry it around, you're better off using 2x10's or 2x12's. REGARDLESS, when you buy the boards check them to make sure they don't bend or sag in the middle One board can be stiff as, well, a board, and the other have some give to it.

A friend made a set of these using 10 foot long 2x10's. Coming off his deck one night for the first time, the right board sagged about 4-5" and it was enough to topple me over to the side. I planted my right shoulder on the bottom step of the deck and fractured my collarbone.

This is what he's talking about:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...001&lpage=none
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Buy yourself a pair of aluminum ATV or Lawn tractor loading ramps.
    One set spans 88 inches. That will get you up 5 steps. 5 steps should be about 40 inches high.

If you are going too build wooden ramps, you need 3 joists with plywood on top. Especially if you have a power chair. 3 2X6's will span 8 feet. If you need to span longer you will need 2x8's's. Anchor a string on the top step and stretch the string out to a pitch you feel comfortable rolling up. When you are happy with the angle, cut a piece of cardboard to match the string and the top step, and one to match where the string hits the ground. That will give you a template to cut the boards on the top and the bottom. Make sure you crown the boards. All boards when laid, standing on edge on the ground, will either bend up or rock back and forth. You want to attach the plywood to the side that bends up. That will keep the boards from sagging.

www.tractorsupply.com has a few different ATV folding , loading ramps.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 04-28-2008 at 08:22 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52
    Buy yourself a pair of aluminum ATV or Lawn tractor loading ramps.
    One set spans 88 inches. That will get you up 5 steps. 5 steps should be about 40 inches high.

If you are going too build wooden ramps, you need 3 joists with plywood on top. Especially if you have a power chair. 3 2X6's will span 8 feet. If you need to span longer you will need 2x8's's. Anchor a string on the top step and stretch the string out to a pitch you feel comfortable rolling up. When you are happy with the angle, cut a piece of cardboard to match the string and the top step, and one to match where the string hits the ground. That will give you a template to cut the boards on the top and the bottom. Make sure you crown the boards. All boards when laid, standing on edge on the ground, will either bend up or rock back and forth. You want to attach the plywood to the side that bends up. That will keep the boards from sagging.

www.tractorsupply.com has a few different ATV folding , loading ramps.
    I'm currwntly dealing with the same dilemma, although I have 1 less step to go up than you do darren...

I'm looking for a ramp that is portable and easy for my best friend to just plop out when I wheel my ass over. We were just going to build one on her side door, but the doorway is narrow, so i've been doing some research.

Those aluminum ramps on that tractor site seem unpractical for a w/c- you can tell by looking at the pic- there are gaps in the ramp that any front casters would fall right into.
    see pic:
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/wcsstor...00/1035016.jpg

these look a little better, as there is a mesh overlay, but they don't compress or seem to be able to store flat b/c of the arch in the ramp itself...
    see pic:
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...g=true&cFlag=1

I'm thinking that the telescoping ramps are the way to go? Bueller? they seem the most stable/sturdy... they have a lip on the interior and exterior edge so I won't get rolled off the edge after a couple of beers and they are all priced around the same... plus they collapse flat for storage, have a grip surface... and well- look at the pic and tell me what you think
    see pic:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-6-TELESCOPIN...QQcmdZViewItem
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Blog Entries
    take yourself a 6 foot plank and lay it on those steps and see if you would mind the steepness of it with a ramp. You might decide you would prefer a longer one.
    I bought 2 aluminum arched ramps for my truck bed. Wound up putting extensions on them. When you are riding up them puppies, its a little different, especially if they are narrow and you are one-eyed after dark, lol.

The board with lip screwed on is quick and easy also. Don't use pine, too much flex, note DeadEye's lesson. Use a hardwood like red oak for stiffness.
    You can always lay them against the foundation to hide them after use.

those mesh ramps fold to 4 inch height, not bad. They are 6.5 feet long vs 6 ft for the Al. You have to buy TWO, but still not a bad price. Check that angle at the house before you decide, with a board or tape measure so you can see.