Thread: KLD: or anyone with caregiving contract info

KLD: or anyone with caregiving contract info

KLD, on other threads you have spoken about how you have had contracts drawn up for caregivers to a family member. I've done a search and have found quite a bit of useful information. However, I was wondering if you could post or pm a sample contract. I wouldn't know where to begin on how to write one out. it isn't imminent that I have one but I would like to be prepared.

Also, would you know how to go about issuing a 1099 or deducting the wages paid on ones income taxes. Thanks for any help that can be given.

That one from the PVA looks like it covers everything imaginable! Plus it is free.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Thank you so much KLD. The PVA and TBI-SCI info were excellent resources in hiring a pca, I have never seen anything so thorough. I'm still not sure on how to proceed legally with withholdings and deductions but hopefully my accountant can lead me. Thanks again.

Many of our clients don't withhold either taxes or SS, although legally you are supposed to (never know when you might be running for President or for appointment to the Supreme Court ).

If you have an accountant, let them help you on this, otherwise a good bookkeeper who is familiar with payroll can be sufficient. Many of our clients use one to issue paychecks and handle any of their withholding, workers comp, etc. for their PCAs.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Many of our clients don't withhold either taxes or SS, although legally you are supposed to (never know when you might be running for President or for appointment to the Supreme Court ). (KLD)
    that's how i always used to look at it, but i'm not sure anymore about how it's treated legally. my reason for questioning it is this:

i get 3 hours per day paid by the VA directly to a caregiver, for bowel & bladder care. it processes thru the VA fee basis department and comes in a check directly to her with no taxes withheld. she is then required to file her taxes w/ the income as "self-employed" earnings.

so if the gov't can pay w/o holding taxes, why can't i?
    "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
    ...Mark Twain

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    ...Winston Churchill

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    ...George Bernard Shaw

Per fee-basis guidelines, the PCA would be considered an independent contractor, so taxes and SS don't have to be withheld, but the fees are reported to the IRS and the person gets a 1099 at the end of the tax year as payment by the VA, not you. If you hire a PCA independently, their status as a independent contractor is based on when they work, where they work, and for how much time, and you would still have to report using a 1099 so you should consult your tax advisor.

(KLD)