Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Documentaries You Would Recommend

Documentaries You Would Recommend

I just saw this one two days ago and I promise to bring up the cause through donating and awareness. I was so moved and felt completely ignorant before watching it. I will never forget it:

The Greatest Silence: Rape in the Congo

This one really moved me and is about returning, injured soldiers from Iraq all the way from non-communicative to PTSD. I saw it back in January and it's still on my mind:

Alive Day Memories: Home From Iraq

Any that you can recommend?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Conspiracy of Silence -- Only available online
    More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspir...documentary%29

and

Grass -- Narated by Woody Harelson. I don't smoke marijuana, but this documentary is extremely entertaining and informative. Chronicles the war on drugs in America over the last century. Explains why certain drugs were targeted and how we developed our attitude toward them today.

"jesus camp", following evangelical christians in the usa.

"fuck" a documentary on the history and use of this cuss word.
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

http://truefilms.com/

is a blog that - "I present here the best general interest true films I've found. I define true films as documentaries, educational films, instructional how-to's, and what the British call factuals - a non-fiction visual account."

Seems to get updated at least one time a week.

2 here.

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room isn't just a great drama but is also one of the finest documentaries ever made. It poses (and partially answers) the question: "Was the phenomenon of Enron's awe inspiring fraud an anomaly or is it a sign of our times; was it the bizarre but logical expression of the religion of $$$?".

The Blue Planet - Seas of Life : While I didn't see the first part (Pt. 1), the second (Pt. 2) consists of two forty-five minute segments, The Open Ocean/The Deep. The Blue Planet series is narrated by David Attenborough and it's worth watching just to hear him say "jellies". I'm kidding, although it's a kick, but this is an awe inspiring trip over the ocean's vast surface and deep onto the abyssal plain and deeper to visit a world "fewer have been to than the surface of the moon" where creatures of magnificent beauty and impossible ugliness make their homes.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 04-21-2008 at 07:38 PM.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

The Cats of Mirikitani
    About an amazing street artist's life and survival in the streets of NYC.

Hats Off!
    An eccentric small-part actress still going to cattle calls and taking tap and ballet lessons at the age of 93 (also based in NYC)

I Have Never Forgotten You: The Life and Legacy of Simon Wiesenthal
    The biography of this famous Holocaust survivor and Nazi hunter.

Beyond the Call
    Three eccentric middle-aged men, former soldiers and modern-day knights travel the world delivering life saving humanitarian aid directly into the hands of civilians and doctors in some of the most dangerous, yet beautiful places on Earth, the front lines of war.

The Concientious Objector
    True story of a man who refuses to carry a gun in the army who trains as a medic and wins the Congressional Medal of Honor for his heroic actions in the Pacific during WWII.

Emannuel's Gift
    The story of a disabled young man form Ghana who starts a disability rights movement and becomes a disabled athlete in the face of seemingly unsurmountable obstacles.

Step Into Liquid
    A wonderful movie about surfers around the world...all ages and races, on lakes and oceans. Great photography and some fascinating characters.

Touching the Void
    True story of two climbers from the UK who survive a disaster while mountain climbing in South America. Partially dramatized.

(KLD)

My Architect

My Kid Could Paint That

Haven't seen this yet, but it's getting a lot of media attention.

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/youngatheart/
    AB, Husband is c5-6 inc quad, 25 years post injury.

'They Came on Horseback,' which is about the crisis in Darfur. I believe (?) it was produced by HBO.

Little Dieter Needs to Fly

You couldn't make this up.