Thread: Program when traveling

Program when traveling

My dh does not do his own bowel program. He is thinking of traveling with a family member in a few weeks but we are unsure of how to do his program when traveling. Has anyone used a nursing agency when traveling? How was the experience with using someone that you have never met before? How do you go about finding a reputable agency in the location you are traveling to?

Ah, this is a problem for me. I'm 21 and I have an every other day routine. My program is very well controlled (knock on wood) and I can push it 3 days in between if necessary. Yet, that's still only 2 nights away from home. Now that I'm getting out much more and starting to take trips with my BF and friends I've been wondering if a week away could be feasible any time soon. I'd be interested in people's response to your question.

"ιn ѕoмe wayѕ ι love everyтнιng. ιт’ѕ leѕѕ oғ a тнιng тнan 'lιĸe'…leѕѕ dιѕтιncт. leѕѕ…parтιcυlar. ι lιĸe тнιngѕ тнaт ι lιĸe вυт ι love everyтнιng. тнere’ѕ мore cнoιce ιn ‘lιĸe’. вecaυѕe even тнe worѕт тнιngѕ нave тнιngѕ тo love ιn тнeм. ι love тнιngѕ ѕo мυcн ι ғeel lιĸe ι coυld ғloaт away."

Contact the Independent Living Center near the area you are traveling. Some ILCs provide assistance while others are a good resource and reference for reputable PCAs in the area. I have gone this route on multiple occasions and had success.
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

jjs...

jim and i gave this one a lot of thought and it seemed the best way was for me to help out. we have gone on numerous road trips where we have to stay overnight along the way...so u don't have much choice. it's something that goes along with sci. hope it works out for u and u're able to find someone to help out.

stormie
    and in the end it's not the years in your life that count it's the life in your years. abraham lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by stormie427
    jjs...

jim and i gave this one a lot of thought and it seemed the best way was for me to help out. we have gone on numerous road trips where we have to stay overnight along the way...so u don't have much choice. it's something that goes along with sci. hope it works out for u and u're able to find someone to help out.

stormie
    I am not going on the trip. If I was it wouldn't be an issue. He is going with my brother (which he surely does not want his brother-in-law doing a BP for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis
    Contact the Independent Living Center near the area you are traveling. Some ILCs provide assistance while others are a good resource and reference for reputable PCAs in the area. I have gone this route on multiple occasions and had success.
    Great idea! I had not thought of this.

After 9 years of SCI, I think it will be awesome for my dh to finally travel without me and have some independence again.

The other group that you can contact is the Chamber of Commerce in the area that you are visiting. Often times they can also assist.
    CKF

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    I'm a c5/6 complete with every other day BP, too.

I take trips alone for days or weeks with no problem. About 4-6 weeks ahead, I usually call agencies on my own, or put an ad in the newspaper or Craig's List to hire someone privately. It takes time and persistence, but usually pays off. Be sure to screen aides and agencies carefully -- you'll get better with experience. Ask the agencies if their CNAs do bowel care -- some don't.

Colorado (Metro Denver) also has a traveling nurse company, but they are VERY expensive.

Try craigslist.org first. They are free and potentially fast. It's probably better if you are near a big city, or going to one. You can look for private CNAs or nurses there, and also post your own ad.

This may or may not be an option for you (I'm not sure what your home situation is), but a lot of times when I travel I hire my home caregivers to come along for the trip. Of course, this means I have to pay for their way and still provide wages, but it makes things a lot simpler for me. On the other hand, if he just needs help with his program, bringing your own person along would probably be pretty inefficient.