Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone ever tried this trick before (steak in a Ziploc bag)

The burns are mainly healed Lynnifer. Thanks for asking. I was diligent in their care. I had a little luck thrown in too I think. A small spot is hanging on giving me trouble where the seam on my pants is always rubbing.

Mine came from the microwave so be careful there too.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

I'll have to try the ziplock method. From the description, seems like it's slow cooked at a low temperature to prevent drying out, and then seared.

I do use my foreman grill when I'm just cooking for 1 or 2. It's amazing how versatile a $15 piece of kitchen equipment can be!
    Daniel

My fave is a Reuben sandwich on the Foreman grill (We call it The Lean Mean, remember that commercial?) One of those will be the housewarming gifts when I ever get my kids out of the house. They use the heck out of, as you say, a $15 cooking device!

I do wish there was an easier way to clean it when they leave it gunky. You can steam the insides by putting a damp paper towel in, turning it on, and letting it sizzle for 5 min. or so. To really get it clean, I use my trusty Steam Buggy.

This is off topic, but if your appliances get grungy-and mine do-the Steam Buggy turns them new again. LOVE that machine. It is somehow rewarding to watch grime melt off, and restore surfaces to new condition. It can turn a 20-year old crockpot new looking again.

Hey Tom, does the steak in the bag float or sink to the bottom?
    I guess 150 degrees doesn't make the ziplock melt?

My George Foreman has set unused forever. I'm too lazy to clean it.
    I like to do bratwurst on it and continually turn them so grill marks are everywhere.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by november
    Hey Tom, does the steak in the bag float or sink to the bottom?
    I guess 150 degrees doesn't make the ziplock melt?
    Hi Novie,

You need to squeeze as much air as you can out of the Ziploc bag before dropping it in the water, or it'll float and end up cooking unevenly. It won't sink unless its a big roast, but pretty much just below the surface (that might be another reason the roast works better, come to think of it). If you got one of those shrink wrap gizmos those would be even better.

I use Ziploc freezer bags just in case. However it's worth noting that many modern plastics can tolerate very high temps before melting. Indeed, there's some kinda special plastic oven bags that are used for whole birds and whatnot, seen it done on TV years ago.

I do wonder about temperature related chemical reactions, but I'm pretty sure its not an issue below the boiling point, which is way more than needed to do the meat. Above that I'd be a bit wary unless I was sure it was specifically labeled for oven use.

Tom

I use my Foreman grill for almost everything. I bought one of the newere models that you can take the plates out of so you don't have to haul the whole thing over to the sink, just the plates. Even with quad paws it is pretty easy to just bang them off and you literally just drop them back into place after they are clean. I like my food incendiary hot in terms of spice level, so I throw Paul Prudhomme spices on shrimp, or use anyone of the good hot sauces and while whatever it is cooks the smell is heavenly.

I'd also be wary of cooking at 150 temp as far as getting rid of any bacteria -

http://foodsafety.wsu.edu/consumers/faq.asp?pid=2

Quote Originally Posted by marmalady
    I'd also be wary of cooking at 150 temp as far as getting rid of any bacteria -

http://foodsafety.wsu.edu/consumers/faq.asp?pid=2
    good guidelines and all, but we're mainly talking about steaks here. 160 is pretty close to well-done in a steak and unless you have a thing against rare meat in general, ruined as well Let's just say you wouldn't win too many steak contests!

However, if you're cooking with GROUND or MIXED meats, and all poultry products, then yes, you do need to cook all the way through for sure. Ditto pork, although I have to admit I've pushed it with premium cuts (generally the higher grade the cut the safer it is) and had no problems.

Tom

Foremans are okay, but yeah they're hard to clean. They do make models with removable grill pieces so you can scrub them in the sink and throw them in the dishwasher. Hamilton Beach makes one that actually looks a little nicer than Foremans with removable grills and adjustable temp.

As far as cooking steak in water, that would definitely make them tender. I would worry though about the absorption of the water. It seems to me like you'd really just be making stew meat.

I've done a lot of experimentations with my steaks and have finally found my "ultimate" way to do them:

Turn the oven on broil, leave it cracked open 6 inches or so. Set a timer for 10 minutes. Heat up your pan hot as you can on the stovetop. Season your steaks, then once the pan is hot as hell sear those puppies on there and stick them on your broiler pan. Once the timer goes off, put the pan in the oven (I use the middle rack) and set the timer for 4 minutes. When the timer goes off, flip your steaks and put them in for another 4. Timer goes off, take those babies out and enjoy the most delicious steaks of your life!

Things to remember:

Times are going to vary based on your oven, thickness of meat, and desired doneness. The above instructions give me a pretty rare steak usually. You'll probably have to experiment a few times to get it perfect.

Make sure to LEAVE THE OVEN DOOR OPEN 6 inches or so when broiling!!! If you don't, you're going to be left with tough jerky-like meat.

Having tried every other method I could think of, I swear by this one. The foreman grill does a pretty good job and is pretty easy (aside from the ass pain of cleaning), but this method seriously blows the foreman out of the water as far as tenderness and juiciness goes (plus if you're salting/seasoning your meat before cooking, it will ruin your foreman eventually). Give it a shot, it makes THE BEST steaks in my experience.

One other tip: don't cook your steak the day you buy it. If you let the meat sit in your fridge 4-7 days before cooking it will be much more tender and flavorful as the enzymes in the meat begin to break it down.