Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting parts of a wheelchair...

Painting parts of a wheelchair...

Is possible to paint some parts of a chair like: casters, handrims, footrest, etc. with spray paint?
    Some like this chair...

Attached Images Attached Images  

That's not paint. It's anodozing.. A chemical process.

You could paint it, but I wouldn't recomend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulises
    Is possible to paint some parts of a chair like: casters, handrims, footrest, etc. with spray paint?

Some like this chair...

You could have the finish stripped off and have the parts powder coated.

Not sure about the hub and bearings though?

I wouldn’t recommend spraying handrims. I had handrims with factory baked on paint, and after a few years the paint started coming off on my hands. It turned by hands black. I think the oil and perspiration can eventually break down the paint.

I have touched-up my chair with black paint on some small components. It worked well, but it is very difficult to get a nice durable coating on high gloss areas like frames with spray cans. The factory finishes on your chair are probably powder coated, baked-on, or catalyzed. It’s probably the same for smaller components, so don’t expect your paint job to wear well unless you do the same. Avoid really cheap paint.

If you’re aggressive enough to tackle painting your frame, I’m sure you can paint your chair the same way you would spray a bicycle or motorcycle frame. Make sure you prep whatever it is you’re spraying properly and prime where necessary. And be careful of what type of coating you’re spraying over. You can have problems with wrinkling, crawling, peeling, pinholes, etc. if you don’t.
    Last edited by ala; 04-15-2008 at 11:04 PM.

Painting is a skill that's harder than it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Nastier
    You could have the finish stripped off and have the parts powder coated.
    x2. I'd get the finish blasted off & start from bare metal. Powdercoating is a good option; spray paint will work well too *if* you do it correctly. Regardless, a layer of primer is wise. Two coats of paint are better than one.

I agree; don't paint the handrims.

I'll probably repaint my frame someday; I intend to use a rattle can. Parts of my Jeep were sprayed & you'd never know it.

Not sure about the hub and bearings though?
    Don't touch any bearings. The exterior of the hub should be fine.
    Last edited by -scott-; 04-16-2008 at 01:07 AM.

If you're going to spray paint them, i'd use brake caliper paint. And
    like Scott said, primer the stripped parts first. I think a self etching
    primer would be the ticket, since it increases adhesion and corrosion
    protection.

I'm pretty sure the gold in anodized, and the black is powder-coated. Any kind of enamal spray paint won't last for long. It will chip, or flake in just a few short months. If you positively wanted it painted a different color, you should strip it down to the bare frame, and have a pro job done on it. A graphics shop, or even an auto body shop could handle it.
    "Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bullshit attached. Music survives everything, and like God it is always present. It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance. It has always found me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will." Eric Clapton

I stripped my entire chair and then sanded off the powder coating as best I could. It was a lot of work. I bought cans of touch up paint that would be used on a vehicle. It's more durable than say..... Rust Oleum spray paint.

Definitely scuff the surfaces so the paint has something to stick too. Also use primer, it provides a great surface for the paint to stick. I also bought some cans of clear. I cleared the frame with 5 coats (heavy coats) with no dripping. It lasted for about 1 year then started showing the yellow (chair used to be yellow, then I painted it all black) through the parts I was having a hard time sanding.

I wouldn't recommend painting the handrims. The paint doesn't stick well. I didn't coat the surface properly and my hands would turn the Toreadore Red I used. They were chipped up extensively after a couple of weeks.
    -----------
    Eddie

Here are the before and after shots!

I redid the cahir in November of 2006. Was done in about 4 or 5 days!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    -----------
    Eddie

good job...