Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advocates On Hill Today Call, Call ,call

Arrow Advocates On Hill Today Call, Call ,call

NATIONAL CALL IN DAY TODAY

YOUR ADVOCATES ARE VISITING THE SENATORS TODAY

TUESDAY, APRIL 15TH

LET YOUR VOICES BE HEARD!

CALLERS GUIDE - This guide is for your convenience. Please feel free to use your own words and if comfortable tell your story. Your grassroots activists will be visiting the capitol this day and really need your support. When you call ask for the aide that handles the HELP issues for the senator. Even if you get their voicemail, leave a long message. Please remember to be courteous and respectful of all members of the US Senate even if they have a different view than yours. Thank you.

STEP ONE - FIND YOUR SENATORS www.visi.com/juan/congress/

STEP TWO - IS YOUR SENATOR A CURRENT COSPONSOR? See list below

COSPONSORS OF S. 1183
    CA – Barbara Boxer - Dianne Feinstein
    CT – Chris Dodd
    HI – Daniel Inouye
    IL – Dick Durbin - Barack Obama
    IA – Tom Harkin
    MI – Carl Levin
    MN – Norm Coleman – Amy Klobuchar
    MD – Barbara Mikulski – Benjamin Cardin
    MS – Thad Cochran
    NJ – Frank Lautenberg - Robert Menendez MA – John Kerry - Edward Kennedy

NM – Jeff Bingaman
    NY – Hillary Clinton - Charles Shumer
    NC – Richard Burr
    OH – Sherrod Brown - George Voinovich
    OR – Gordon Smith
    PA – Robert Casey - Arlen Specter
    RI – Jack Reed - Sheldon Whitehouse
    SC – Lindsey Graham
    SD – Tim Johnson
    VT – Bernard Sanders - Patrick Leahy
    WA – Patty Murray

STEP THREE - CHOOSE A MESSAGE

MESSAGE FOR SENATORS WHO ARE NOT YET COSPONSORS

Hello, my name is________________ and I live in (town, state) and I am a constituent of Senator_____________. Today, for the fourth year in a row members of the paralyzed community are traveling to our nations' Capitol to advocate for the passage of the Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Act. Though I can not be there in body, I am in spirit and ask the Senator to co-sponsor this bill Senate bill S.1183.

MESSAGE FOR SENATORS WHO ARE COSPONSORS

Hello, my name is________________ and I live in (town, state) and I am a constituent of Senator_____________. Today, for the fourth year in a row members of the paralyzed community are traveling to our nations’ Capitol to advocate for the passage of the Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Act. Though I can not be there in body, I am in spirit and want to thank Senator________ for co-sponsoring bill Senate bill S. 1183.

STEP FOUR - TELL US HOW IT WENT
    THANK YOU ALL!

Yay. I called and actually got real people this time. I contacted:

Senator Bill Nelson (D- FL) at 202-224-5274
    Senator Mel Martinez (R- FL) at 202-224-3041

I thought Nelson was already a sponsor but he isn't. I used the template below and emphasized how important the passage of this bill is to those with SCI's. The aide said he would let him know.

Not sure if Martinez's aide was really listening as he kind of rushed me off the phone. I asked if he knew if Martinez was planning on suppporting the bill and was told that he hasn't issued an opinion on it either way but that he would relay my message.

I emailed since both of my gals are co-sponsors
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity

I thought Nelson was already a sponsor but he isn't. I used the template below and emphasized how important the passage of this bill is to those with SCI's. The aide said he would let him know.

Not sure if Martinez's aide was really listening as he kind of rushed me off the phone. I asked if he knew if Martinez was planning on suppporting the bill and was told that he hasn't issued an opinion on it either way but that he would relay my message.
    Antiquity, that is really great. Wise.

I am surprised that Liddy Dole (R-NC) has not gone on record as a co-sponsor to S.1183, given her husband (Bob Dole)'s own paralysis (war injury, cervical SCI) and the Doles longtime history working with disability issues, including the ADA and their foundation (Dole Foundation for Employment of People With Disabilities). The legislative aide that we met with today was vague on Dole's stance on the CDRPA. Would others from NC be willing to follow up with Senator Elizabeth Dole's office? 202-224-6342.
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity

I am also in Florida and have some snippets of some things I could assemble with some facts and personal stuff in a letter and send out. What I need to know is what is the best way to get a response. Letter, phone, e-mail? Is all three too pushy? Are e-mails even acknowledged. I am willing to do all three. Any suggestions?
    Cindy Waters
    mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
    injury march 2003

Calling is best I believe, you could follow up by emailing or faxing the info don't worry about pushiness they expect that. They do acknowledge email as I started with a call and then followed up monthly with emails to Feinstein's office until she signed on.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

hi cindy,

Is all three too pushy? No

go for it

in your letter include photos
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Thanks right back atcha, Leo, for putting yourself out there when I couldn't. Like I've always said, if we could only clone you...Can't wait to see the pics. That was way funny about the German dude!

What did your signs say?

Ok i'm confused I wrote the following letter but then noticed the bill #s were wrong. What is the most current bill # that I should reference in my letter? I didn't realize they change as things progress? and where can I get the most recent text on it. I've based it on this text that I found is that still correct?:

http://olpa.od.nih.gov/legislation/1.../paralysis.asp

thanks.
    Cindy Waters
    mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
    injury march 2003