Thread: Is twisting to pee ok?

Is twisting to pee ok?

I was told in rehab that bearing down to pee (valsalva) isn't a good method because it puts too much downward pressure on all the organs. I have now found that if I twist from side to side I can pretty much empty my bladder. Is that also bad for any reason?

It is not recommended because of the potential for reflux in to the kidneys. For those that half a sphincter that will release urine with press ure of 40 cmh20 or less, it is ok. Others, it can be dangerous and you aren't doing yourself a favor by doing it that way and it would be better to cath.When urodynamics are done they can test for that.

CWO

Is it true that you can die from straining (like an aneurysm or something)?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

My last urodynamics showed flaccidity and no reflux. That was over 2 years ago, so its probably time for another.

The areflexic bladders (probably called the flaccid bladder) re the They typically have level of injury L4-S1, maybe a little higher but we have to have the urodynamics. They are the only ones we say it is ok to valsalva or push or strain in some way to empty.

CWO

is there a difference between letting urine just leak out into a leg bag using an external catheter and straining to void like the op said?

or are they equal in potential longterm problems?
    If there was a terrible storm outside, but somehow this dog lived through the storm, and he showed up at your door when the storm was finally over, I think a good name for him would be Carl.” -Jack Handy

If you are leaking because of bladder uninhibited contractions or spasms, you are likely leaking with high pressures, which can be dangerous. If you have a flaccid bladder and are "overflow" leaking, that can be dangerous too as it generally means you are carrying a high residual urine, and you can reflux even without bladder contraction or spasm in that case.

(KLD)

I twist after the cath stops emptying just to get out any remainders or to start the flow of urine.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.