Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: please read--love through sci

My own views on faith and religion (or lack thereof) aside, I can understand their need and desire to find something to cling to, anything that can give them some kind of hope or light out of the darkness. They need something to make sense of what happened. Religion and faith couldn't do it for me. But their beliefs seem to be bringing them great comfort. Irrational or fanatical or not, I guess that's really all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    Quoting like this though:

Quote:
    The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
    Might be considered out of bounds per site rules as for name-calling?
    I hear that Lief but my Libra heart is going to give the poster the benefit of the doubt they didn't intend any personal harm .... just reciting a biblical quotation ..... this one time !

Obieone
    Last edited by Obieone; 04-18-2008 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Bad spelling!
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello
    My own views on faith and religion (or lack thereof) aside, I can understand their need and desire to find something to cling to, anything that can give them some kind of hope or light out of the darkness. They need something to make sense of what happened. Religion and faith couldn't do it for me. But their beliefs seem to be bringing them great comfort. Irrational or fanatical or not, I guess that's really all that matters.
    I completely agree OJ !

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello
    This makes alot of sense.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by ala
    This is the comment that really got me involved in this discussion. It seems hypocritical to me for you to pass this kind of judgment on Denny and Diana Glusko’s love and devotion while at the same time bemoaning the judgment of others of faith. More than just hypocritical, I hear a lot of anger in your voice, even hate. That doesn’t sound much like the ”generous and kind” person you profess to be.

Now don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t censor or silence your words, even if I could; but I do sometimes respond to what I see as the injustice of words or ideas—just like you do. In that regard, we may be kindred spirits.
    Hi Ala,

You have a sharp eye and I found myself regretting that part of what I had written. To be forthright with you, I added that as the last sentence in my post, just before I hit the "Submit Reply" button, i.e. "Love is a choice, not a guilt-ridden obligation." I was overly judgmental as well as being just plain wrong. And hypocritical as well, though I hope through this admission, as late as it is, that it may in part relinquish the hypocrisy.

I felt soon after proofreading my post that I needed to add a qualifier after the sentence "And "a beautiful love story"?". I did so quickly, too quickly and in error. Here comes the excuse.... I was getting tired of writing!

Because really, who am I to pass judgment on someone's love for another and then add insult to the injustice by defining it as a "guilt-ridden obligation." I don't know Denny Glusko well enough to do such a thing. All I know about him and his relationship with his wife is what I read in the Washington Post article. I apologize to both of them and anyone else whom I may have hurt for being so crass, uncaring and above all, reckless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ala
    I hear a lot of anger in your voice, even hate.
    I have an unsettling anger towards SCI. Especially towards the higher quadriplegic type that leave people in such states of pain, helplessness, dependency and indignity. A C-2 injury is just so cruel. Too cruel. And after I saw the 10 picture slideshow of poor Mrs. Glusko lying there helpless and hopeless in that hospital bed, my anger did amass an amplitude higher than usual. For this very reason I hate reading the "New SCI" forum here at CC and purposely avoid it for days, even weeks at a time. We already have enough stock of SCIs as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ala
    while at the same time bemoaning the judgment of others of faith.
    I don't understand what you mean. I was being sarcastic towards "God", not "bemoaning the judgment of others of faith." I'm of the belief that whatever helps get you through the day is fine with me. That doesn't exclude me from commenting on a news article riddled rife with religiosity.

And the God thing. Who can really figure it out? If there is a "personal God", who really loves his "children" and answers an ocassional prayer, why would He allow such a bad thing to happen to such a good woman? Please don't answer, it's rhetorical. It's not like she was on display so He'd find it difficult to lend a helping hand.... hell, the car rolled over in a ditch with no one watching except supposedly Him. The all-loving, omniscient... omnipotent? I don't think so. He should be ashamed of what He allowed happen to Mrs. Glusko and to countless others. If there is a God who created everything I believe Him to be an impersonal one, one who could care less about the goings on "down here".

The only reason I wrote about God was that it was the theme in the Washington Post's alleged "feel-good" story. You know, a slow news day filler-article.... let's sell some more cars by printing another eye-catching story about a personal tragedy with such lasting sufferings.

Thanks for setting my post straight. I so dislike the fine print at the bottom of a post that says something like "Last Edited XXXX...." that I didnt bother redacting what I soon realized was wrong. The time limit for editing a post should be at least 10 minutes without the "Last Edited XXXX...." acclamation. What's a few extra minutes brotha?

Take care,

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by ala
    , I hear a lot of anger in your voice, even hate.
    Ala. Anger and hate? You seem to “hear” a lot, not so sure about the output though, but he (Bob) seems to be one of the most compassionated of us, with the best advices, really - you did find hate in that post you refer too? If so, I instead would claim some claiming such really has been out of touch with reality for so long due to clichés, even for an small eternity here on earth - Their never able to see good - How some with an religious condemnation view ever will be able to deal with bigger issues in life? How will they ever be able to understand the world outside to form? A world they “never” participated in, how will that work? Seems like a lost Eldorado to me.

I don't detect hate from bob clark either. I think he is simply rejecting common religious notions that have been forced upon us by tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français
    Thanks for the nice compliments, you all.

Well, I talk about the Bible to edify others, not to condescend to those with different beliefs. I'm more likely to offend those who believe in the Bible than those who don't since I tend to veer from orthodoxy.
    Yo kinda in-between lol, but as for my point I didn’t mean you, but Bible thumper aggressive fundamentalists quoting stuff only fundamentalists supposed to know. It is nice of you to explain stuff though, for the ones interesting.

Well I wrote one of my usual excessively long and meandering posts in reply, then saw what OJ had written, and said, why post? She nailed it, and in a post 1/10th the length of mine, heh.

Best of luck to the poor woman and her family. Life with sci ain't sweet, it ain't a bowl of cherries, and there is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. But if this family can keep plugging ahead in the days and months to come, with their faith in what gives them solace held close and dear, they will overcome.
    Last edited by rdf; 04-16-2008 at 06:11 PM.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français
    I don't detect hate from bob clark either. I think he is simply rejecting common religious notions that have been forced upon us by tradition.
    True, tradition, discussions like this in my country are very rare, what’s up whit the US and religion? In most of Europe too I would say it is very rare, except for Pope country Italy maybe, but they has been corrupt from day one too. Hmm, wherearound was the Bible chapters agreed on to be included?