Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: please read--love through sci

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

please read--love through sci

Please go to the following site: www.washingtonpost.com
    and under seach, type the name...glusko

This is an article written about our ex-youth pastor and his wife when they were in Ohio prior to er accident. Regardless of your views on Christianity, theirs is a beautiful love story while dealing with her severe sci.

Thanks

Hello Denny,

Desperation Through SCI seems more fitting to me. And "a beautiful love story"? Love is a choice, not a guilt-ridden obligation. Senseless tragedies like this one make me a stronger atheist. What all-loving God would allow this to happen to one of His "flock"? She's been a devout Christian all of her life and this is the reward she gets for being obedient? Okay, she admits it, she wasn't perfect, she wasn't wearing her seatbelt when her reckless "come to the Lord lately" husband was fumbling around with his coffee cup instead of concentrating on the road ahead. But I'd venture a guess that the "wearing of seatbelts" isn't mentioned anywhere in the Bible.

But boy, is she paying the price for the recklessness of another. Tell me why. Give me one half-assed reason why she is paying this "God-awful" price for his recklessness. He walked away without a scratch. Hmmm, I'm sure someone will comment that it's God's will or some such garbage a la a Job-like test for her to prove her full and unwavering faith in Jesus.... or God. Excuse me for not understanding that Trinity thing but no one has a sensible explanation for that big, fat, mind-bending enigma. I think the Catholic Church gave it the good ol' college try quite a few centuries ago that made about as much sense as how an all-loving God allows these horrific things to happen to good, decent people. Yes, I'm aware of the book by Harold S. Kushner entitled "When Bad Things Happen to Good People". Oh, never mind, I forgot about the "free will" clause in the Bible. BTW, can someone cite me chapter and verse so I can more easily find this "free will" clause and completely understand its ramifications? You know, the small print "whereas'" and "therefore's, etc.

Wanna bet that she doesn't receive a miracle? As Denny Glusko utters:

"All honor, glory and praise to the Lord."
    How delusional can one get?
    She was essentially who she is today. Quiet and gentle, although capable of quips that make her blue eyes flash. During the interminable expanse last year when Diana was silenced, incapable of breathing without the whoosh of a ventilator, her eyes became her sole means of communication. They conveyed everything from confusion to relief. But never a complaint, says Denny, who has yet to spend a night away from the woman he variously calls mom, grandma, my bride, DeeDee or, in their most anguished moments, "my poor child."
    Essentially the same? Isn't that stretching the word "essentially" just a bit?

"But never a complaint" ?? That's a quote from Denny, the husband, who must be turmoiled with guilt and may be fudging reality just a tad. For a 59-year-old C-2 quadriplegic, who no doubt is still in shock, loaded up with pain and sedation medications and in total horror and disbelief as to what her life has been degraded to, this twisted assertion doesn't surprise me very much. She was always a "quiet person" anyway so a streak of semi-stoicism isn't unreasonable to assume. Let's give her a little time, after she moves in with her daughter Tracy and family and needs to fight with the insurance company for every damn diaper she'll be needing. Maybe she can bum a few off of her younger granddaughter if she's still wearing them. One can pray. But she sure ain't gonna be putting her arms around the 8-year-old granddaughter Marie and giving her a big, loving, grandmotherly hug. Praise the Lord. And let's wait for the neuro-pain to set in. Along with all the other niceties that come along after release from the hospital. And all those doctor visits that she'll be needing. Let's pray for a van with a lift. Or a used ambulance if she's not able to use a wheelchair. But more than likely someone will hold a bake sale or a 5K run and raise a few bucks to make them and others feel useful doing "God's work". How about God doing his own work?
    Denny and Diana plan to move in with their daughter, Tracy Lamb, and her family in Stafford. Tracy has two girls, and Diana had practically raised the 8-year-old. What she misses most is holding Marie. "I used to love putting my arms around her," Diana says.
    Denny Glusko leans over his wife, praying in the early morning hours before tucking into the wheelchair at her side for a short night of sleep. "We will go home when the Lord sends us home," he tells himself.
    NO! You will go to your daughter's home to live and only when the insurance company gets tired of paying for your wife's expensive institutional care. God doesn't have a damn thing to do about it or He wouldn't have permitted your wife to become a high quadriplegic in the first place.... aren't you getting it yet Denny!? What a nice retirement gift God hath wrought on your dear wife.
    When Diana left Kessler in August because her health insurance company decided she wasn't making adequate progress, she still was not breathing on her own and doctors there gave her little hope for ever doing so. Less than 24 hours after she arrived at Specialty, Leslie Kingslow promised her otherwise. The doctor kept his word.

It was a miracle, Denny and Diana are sure, although one that required arduous weeks of weaning from the ventilator. And in December, a surgeon at Washington Hospital Center wired her with an unusual pacemaker -- for her lungs. He sutured two electrodes to the nerve that should trigger her diaphragm to contract. Radio receivers were implanted below the skin; above were taped rings and wires connecting to a dual-dial black box, much like the remote-control unit of a model airplane. All to circumvent the damage done in that one split second last spring.

It is not a perfect miracle, to be sure. Diana says she often feels as if a straitjacket is squeezing her chest, a pressure-pain that can push her toward panic. Denny tries repositioning the pillows around and between her legs, straightening her listing shoulders, talking her down.
    How sweet, the "miracle" feels like a straitjacket frenzying her toward panic. It's a good thing her husband Denny is there to 'talk her down' because God is too busy putting another coat of red paint on Mars.
    "Denny, you have no idea. No one has any idea," she chides him. Her response is rarely harsher, never poisoned by bitterness or blame.
    What, she's going to be outwardly bitter and start casting blame on the person she now needs the most to care for her? She's not in much of a position to do ANYTHING!

And NO! It's not a miracle, not even a non-perfect miracle. It's a rudimentary electronic and mechanical piece of hardware and software invented, created and manufactured for a profit by measly humans to help her breathe. Not by the almighty Hand of God. Why are people with good eyes so blind to see the truth of the matter? Or is it me who's so blind?
    Faith or not, since late February it had seemed that the insurance company had the upper hand. It balked over what it would pay toward the equipment Diana needs to stay safe outside the hospital, and the delay kept her in the hospital at a cost Denny doesn't want to calculate. He will face staggering bills on his own. Only in overwhelming fatigue does his voice edge toward despair.

Last week, the impasse finally ended when he negotiated a bed and mattress and a key piece of monitoring gear -- the very basics. That cleared the way for Diana to be discharged as soon as tomorrow. It won't be in time for this resurrection Sunday. But close enough, says Denny.

"All honor, glory and praise to the Lord."
    I think on this point we'll ALL agree. The insurance company STILL has the upper hand.

But too bad they won't be "home" (at their daughter's home) in time for Resurrection Sunday or perhaps poor Mrs. Diana Glusko might be resurrected from her bodily living death on this earth and get the hell outta the cheapest hospital bed and mattress and off the cheapest respirator, etc. that their insurance company is willing to pay for and instead, be able to walk, urinate, defecate, etc. and breathe normally so she can enjoy her golden years with her husband, daughter and grandchildren. And give her little granddaughters great big grandmom hugs. And even those annoying, wet, "wipe-away" grandmom kisses.

Sorry for the rant but these made-for-media "feel good" stories make me wanna puke. It's a damn tragedy of the utmost magnitude.... PERIOD!

I wish the best for Diana Glusko and her family.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    Sorry for the rant but these made-for-media "feel good" stories make me wanna puke. It's a damn tragedy of the utmost magnitude.... PERIOD!

Bob.
    Well said Bob ~ I agree with you.

Shelley

Psalms 14:1 says it all
    1The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffie
    Psalms 14:1 says it all
    1The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
    Hello Buffie,

I need to make a short, non-argumentative response to your posting, ask you a couple of questions and include a short preface.

The preface is, when I first arrived in Florida 29 years ago I was in a line at a gas station. Just ahead of me was an old red pickup truck with a bumper sticker on it that in effect read:

"It's in the Bible, so God said it and that's that!"

I laughingly thought to myself, "Bob, welcome to Florida!"

That bumper sticker, in my mind, encapsulates your Psalms' verse.

Aside from the five words "they have done abominable works", which denotes past deeds, the remainder of the verse appears to be meant for contemporary and present application.

My two questions to you are:

1- Do you really believe that only Jews and Christians are incorruptible and do good things and that none have ever indulged in abominable works?

2- Do you really believe that all atheists are fools, all are corrupt, all are the only people who have performed abominable works and that none ever do good things?

I don't believe myself to be a fool, I'm not corrupt, I don't believe that I've ever done abominable works (though you'd have to define what "abominable works" are for me) and I do good things everyday. I believe myself to be a moral, decent, generous and kind person.

I'm sorry, if in fact it's true, that you hold me in such low regard especially since I don't believe that you know very much about me.

Bob.

PS. Todd, thanks for the very thorough explanation of the Trinity. Hey, you're the resident CC Bible scholar.

PSS. Moderator; you may want to move this thread, give a warning or just let it ride. As per the rules, it's up to you.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

PS. Todd, thanks for the very thorough explanation of the Trinity. Hey, you're the resident CC Bible scholar.
    No problem.

PSS. Moderator; you may want to move this thread, give a warning or just let it ride. As per the rules, it's up to you.
    HI Bob .....

Funy you should say that ...... since I've been keeping an eye on this thread hoping against hope it won't deteriorate into what very often happens with these relgious based discussions ...... so let me just say .... I'll let it continue unless I see it becoming any more personal ..... this can be a very useful reparte if everyone remains respectful .....

I enjoy your thoughtful posts very much Bob and I would ask everyone participating here to follow the example you set by continuing to engage in this discussion without malice (and as little judgement as possible) .... there is always the potential we can all learn something here ..... it always makes me sad when religious threads have to be closed or moved!

Thanks for your cooperation all !

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

...... I concur Bob! Todd has helped me to understand and actually encouraged me to research the bible a little more closely as a direct result of his thoughtful responses. Although I consider myself an agnostic I'm best described as a "roaming" catholic (baptized at birth) .... and for the record I agree these stories tend to grate on me as well .... when Bill got hurt there was never any question I would stay with him and simply do what needed to be done .... but my decision had little to do with my faith traditions .... simply put ..... I love him ..... period .... no heroics .... just humanity .....

I don't believe in the master plan theory per se but neither can I rule out the idea that there must be a certain order to the universe that we clearly have very little understanding of ..... I guess we'll call it the cause and affect theory we make a decision and live with the consequences ... that's it in a nutshell for me ...... I completely understand (and have tremendous admiration for ) a person who dedicates their life in search of "the answers" ........

Obieone
    Last edited by Obieone; 04-16-2008 at 10:18 AM.
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

My response to this thread, and my agreement with Bob, was not based on the religious aspects ~ although they are very strong in the article. It reads as though it is written for a religious magazine/newsletter.

That being said, I really don’t understand what religion has to do with his devotion to helping his wife. That’s what you do when you love someone.

My agreement was with the way that the media makes fluff out of what is a horrendous circumstance.

"Denny, you have no idea. No one has any idea," she chides him. CHIDES him.

Once again what Bob said:

It's a damn tragedy of the utmost magnitude.... PERIOD!

Quote Originally Posted by Obieone
    ..when Bill got hurt there was never any question I would stay with him and simply do what needed to be done .... but my decision had little to do with my faith traditions .... simply put ..... I love him ..... period .... no heroics .... just humanity .....

Obieone
    Obie, we must have been typing at the same time. This is what I mean't also.

Oh ya, and I'm lovin Todd too!!... oh crap I have to keep editing what I'm writing ~ I mean't this in reference to what Todd writes (his smartness & wit) ~ I'm not really lovin him ~ haha
    Last edited by shelley; 04-16-2008 at 02:46 PM.