Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: please read--love through sci

[quote=bob clark]

My two questions to you are:

1- Do you really believe that only Jews and Christians are incorruptible and do good things and that none have ever indulged in abominable works?

2- Do you really believe that all atheists are fools, all are corrupt, all are the only people who have performed abominable works and that none ever do good things?

Bob,
    I realized only after I posted that maybe I shouldn't have because it would be deemed offensive; however, I guess I took it too personal the way you made it seem that they were foolish for their faith and beliefs.

I don't believe any one is incorruptible, we are all human, I believe that all people have done some good things whether believers or not. I also believe the bible and as you said in your post to ala "these are my views and you can take them or leave them." If you can support your negative opinions on God, I should be able to support my negative opinions on atheism. I do believe though I should have just left this alone because nothing will be accomplished from it and I won't be revisiting this thread.

This truly is a beautiful love story, I wish the best for the Glusko family.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    Hmm, wherearound was the Bible chapters agreed on to be included?
    The ecumenical councils. Look that those two terms up together to get more information. I won't flood the thread with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffie
    If you can support your negative opinions on God, I should be able to support my negative opinions on atheism.
    I think it is aspects of religion that some people are condemning, not God Himself. An atheist doesn't have negative opinions of something he or she doesn't believe in.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffie
    Bob,

I realized only after I posted that maybe I shouldn't have because it would be deemed offensive; however, I guess I took it too personal the way you made it seem that they were foolish for their faith and beliefs.

I don't believe any one is incorruptible, we are all human, I believe that all people have done some good things whether believers or not. I also believe the bible and as you said in your post to ala "these are my views and you can take them or leave them." If you can support your negative opinions on God, I should be able to support my negative opinions on atheism. I do believe though I should have just left this alone because nothing will be accomplished from it and I won't be revisiting this thread.

This truly is a beautiful love story, I wish the best for the Glusko family.
    Hi Buffie,

Perhaps I was a bit rough on "God" and by inference on Mr. Denny Glusko, but as I said in my last post to Ala:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    And after I saw the 10 picture slideshow of poor Mrs. Diana Glusko, lying there helpless and hopeless in that hospital bed, my anger did amass an amplitude higher than usual.
    That being said, for the life of me, I can't understand why an all-loving, omnipotent "God" would allow such horrible things to happen to the ones he claims to love so much. I wouldn't, if it was in my power, being the imperfect person and "sinner" that I am (we all are), allow even a snake or a spider to suffer with a C-2 SCI. Am I that much more compassionate than God?

And the atheism thing. I don't know if "God" exists or not, and if He does, whether He's a "personal God" who gives a whit about us wretched mortals "down here". It appears to me as though He has no concern whatsoever for His self-proclaimed greatest creations, that's to say, we human beings.

I don't fault you in the least for lashing out at my post. As I said, it was written out of my feelings of helplessness as it related to poor Mrs. Diana Glusko's condition. A condition brought about through NO fault of her own. What a shame... and we all know it's going to get worse for her before it, if it ever does, gets any better. And at her age of 59, who knows what lies in store for that suffering woman? Especially in light of the health insurance and healthcare system in this country.

Richard Dawkins is the latest atheistic "guru" to hit the best seller list with his 7th or 8th book entitled "The God Delusion". FYI, it just came out in paperback! Anyway, he has a "scale" of theism/athesim, according to one's strength or conviction of belief in either concept. He himself is a 6 on his scale of 1-7. And he's a 6 as opposed to a 7 because the question as to whether God exists or not is unanswerable. Your belief in God, I assume, is faith-based. That is:

"The substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen."

And if your faith is helpful to you, which it appears to be, I'm happy for you.

Atheism is defined as "One who believes that there is no deity." Even strong atheists don't know for sure since it's truly an unanswerable, enigmatic, concept.

In The God Delusion, Dawkins places his brand of de facto atheism at number 6 along a scale of 1 to 7, where 1 is “strong theist” and 7 is “strong atheist.”

“I am an agnostic,” Dawkins says, “only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at the bottom of the garden.”

Dawkins asserts that strong atheism (of the magnitude of 7 on his belief scale) is not possible because “reason alone could not propel one to the conviction that anything definitely does not exist. [Hence,] I count myself in category 6?, where 6 represents:

Very low probability [of God existing], but short of zero. De facto atheist. “I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.”
    So I guess the least we should strive for is to be tolerant of each other and the best we can do is love one another.

Take care Buffie,

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria