Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 24" knobbies? (and a cheap find @ $8/ea)

Maxxis makes some nice tires. I used to run those high rollers on my mountain bike. Great traction with the softer compound.

I was thinking about getting a set of Holy Rollers for the summer. Good urban/dirt tread. I've got 25" wheelchair (559) tires or 26" (also 559) mountain bike tires.
    "Donny you're out of your element!" ~ Walter Sobchak

T-5 Complete 9/15/06

yeah, I'm a fan of Maxxis. I've got their Maxxlite 310s on my X-Cores & really like them. The only gripe I have is that they get my paws dirty more quickly, but otherwise they wear well & roll smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad
    I always thought so. The PT at the Glenrose Rehab Crap Center argued different, literally. The arguments we had about tire/rim size went like this...

Me: I can hardly reach the tires. Are there bigger sizes?

PT: Yes, but bigger wheels are harder to push.

Me: But I can't even reach these. Wouldn't it be easier to push if I could reach them?

PT: No, bigger wheels are much harder to push.

Me: Yeah, but even if, I can't push now because I can't reach these rims.

PT: It would be much harder with bigger rims.

Me: (Quietly looking around at a bunch of phucktards)

Me: Honestly, I don't think it would be harder to push bigger rims.

PT: It's harder.

Me: Mabey we should try... (cut off in mid sentence by PT)...

PT: We're going to keep them like this.

Me: (Thinking quietly)... you're all lucky I'm paralyzed cuz if I could get up right now, you'd all be *%#@^!.

Glenrose Rehab - "If you have any hope left, we're here to crush it.... you little gimps."

Yep, that's about right.
    Wow, what a retarded PT. That's where you gotta argue with them. I guarantee you'll see a huge difference with larger wheels (for the better). Unfortunately your chair is probably configured all wrong for such an upgrade, but who knows. What manual chair are you using?

They would look good on my outdoor chair.
    Go Georgia Bulldogs

Blog Entries
    If you can, post a picture too. I have a pair of the plastic spoked rims that came on my quickie2, used them for about 7 years. Handrims are smooth. I could send them to ya if you want. Axles, bearings, the whole 9 yards, I could stand to put a new set of tires on them.
    Let me know if you want them.

Blog Entries

I just took off my knobbies and put a skinny kevlar belted Kenda on my Q2, changed the 8 inch casters to the 4's that came on my SpazzG.
    I only use the Q2 to ride my handcycle. I leave it outside the truck, don't WANT them to steal it but I SURE don't leave my SpazzG out there, lol.

It looks funny set for 'street' instead of muddd.
    When the knobbies were on the 559's they were TALL. With the 1inch wide Kendas, there isn't much difference in sizevs a 24 inch wheel.
    BIG difference in a 25 with vs without knobbies, a few inches, now I know WHY I liked knobbies so much.
    I took pics...
    4in vs 8in casters
    24 vs 25 wheels
    Girly chair (had to drop frame one notch at axles)
    Manly offroad
    same rims 25x1 vs 26 x 2.10 knobbies

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    Wow, what a retarded PT. That's where you gotta argue with them. I guarantee you'll see a huge difference with larger wheels (for the better). Unfortunately your chair is probably configured all wrong for such an upgrade, but who knows. What manual chair are you using?
    I have an A4. I was going to buy a new lighter chair this year (w/bigger wheels) but I changed my mind. It just wouldn't get the use to justify the cost. (imo) Yet anyway.

But my powerchair broke down a few days ago and I was forced to use my manual for a few days. Wow, I've gained strength over the winter. The A4 is nothing for me to push now. I feel bad for cutting it down, almost. Now my problem is going too fast with not enough brake action. I can't wait for the warm weather to stay. I'm gunna' hit the trails as often as possible.

Good thing about the A4 is it's adjustable. So I hope Alberta ADL will buy some bigger wheels. They cover $450 a year guaranteed so I'll soon find out. Adjust the dump and seat a little and go bust down some trails.

Blog Entries
    I'll send ya mine no charge. Probably work since your chair is adjustable. I mean so you can keep your same dump setup. If necessary, you can get taller casters to help, I can also send the 8inch soft rolls I took off the quickie, LOTS O' life left in them. If your forks can fit them in.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp
    If you can, post a picture too. I have a pair of the plastic spoked rims that came on my quickie2, used them for about 7 years. Handrims are smooth. I could send them to ya if you want. Axles, bearings, the whole 9 yards, I could stand to put a new set of tires on them.
    Let me know if you want them.
    Were you offering your wheels to me? Either way that's super nice of you Cap! I probably won't be able to get lightweight wheels or anything through ADL but I should/hope to get some 26" wheels. It looks like there's a good selection of mountain terrain rubber for them out there.

Here are some fresh pics of the A4. Well, only two, the rest turned out blurry.

Wondering if any of you that had some fat tires had any problem with the big tires on the skinny rim. I'm running some 1.75" on spinergys right now, but looking to get some 2.2" in the near future. Just wondering if anyone had any problems.

North,
    Be sure that your getting the 559 sized rims if you want to run the mtb tires.
    "Donny you're out of your element!" ~ Walter Sobchak

T-5 Complete 9/15/06