Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When is it too much spasticity?

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    to me they are the same. standing is the best thing you can do.
    But they aren't the same thing.

I don't mind if I have spasms, I know they maintain muscle mass etc.

I do mind when I can't fully straighten my legs out to stretch at times or get in and out of vehicles etc. By not being able to stretch because of high spasticity I'm putting myself at risk of contractures among other things.

I do stand and stretch. I found getting a stretch overnight like lying on my back or stomach has helped more than standing
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    to me they are the same. standing is the best thing you can do.
    But they aren't the same thing.

I don't mind if I have spasms, I know they maintain muscle mass etc.

I do mind when I can't fully straighten my legs out to stretch at times or get in and out of vehicles etc. By not being able to stretch because of high spasticity I'm putting myself at risk of contractures among other things.

I do stand and stretch. I found getting a stretch overnight like lying on my back or stomach has helped more than standing. That's like 8+ hrs of stretch with no effort on my part!
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

wow, im surprised that stretching works better than standing. sounds like its your hamstrings. see for me if im tight my legs spasms up and over at night while sleeping on my back. i have found that some of my"sups" really amp up my nervous system up. a glass of red wine b4 bed helps
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

My legs also kick up in the middle of the night which really bothers me. I take a boat load of baclofen too. When I'm in my chair they will kick back.

I'll be the first one to say I've slack so bad on my legs stretches and need to get back to my old routine. I use to do them everyday and now it's when I have time. I also need to stand more than I do.
    T-5 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by ~McLovin~
    thanks for that explanation, i think i might have that tone your talking bout. my legs get so tight i'd have to wait till it calms down. so spasms are like when they shake and kick around? what did you do to eleviate that tightness if standing, fes bike and rom isnt enough? you taking baclofen? i stopped taking baclofen cause i felt like i wasnt doing much even after i increased my dose. thanks
    Oral baclofen didn;t do enough for me, w/o too many adverse effects. I ended up with a baclofen pump. But November isn;t at that stage, since she hasn't been taking any oral baclofen at all.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

17 yrs ago I started taking 20 mg baclofen x 6 everyday.
    Which took away all tone & spasms.
    I cut back to 4 times a day and they still don't move much.
    I've lost most of my calf & thigh muscles.
    I'm afraid if I do start having spasms with my legs they'll move me,
    and I can't reposition myself in place.
    They use to kick my bottom crooked in my wc and I couldn't fix myself back.

It's been 2 yrs of no bad tone or spasticity until a couple months ago...it's like november describes I can't even stretch my legs out straight in front of me they fight me to the death. I definitely need to stretch more but i can't really get the full r.o.m like i need. I can't do transfers independently the way my tone is right now, my legs are kicking against me when i lift them, and my adductor muscles fight me when i try to pull my legs apart. I'd only need the bear minimum of baclofan. what are some side effects and how common are they?
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Big side effect of oral baclofen is sleepiness.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Spinning my legs eliminates that stiffening tone. That and the standing frame help keep me off any medications.
    If you can ever get your hands on a Motomed or similar device it is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by alpentalic
    Spinning my legs eliminates that stiffening tone. That and the standing frame help keep me off any medications.
    If you can ever get your hands on a Motomed or similar device it is worth it.
    How do you use that? It looks a lot like a fes bike w/o the stim. Does it mechanically pedal and your legs kind of "follow" it?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005