Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When is it too much spasticity?

When is it too much spasticity?

I made an appt to see my doctor Monday and try baclofen again. I know spasticity can be a good thing, but it's to the point it makes stretching my legs hard and I'm unable to do things like lie flat on my back. Even trying to put my legs in a vehicle to transfer has become hard because they don't like to bend and they take time to relax.
    I'm worried that this will all cause contractures.

So what is too much spasticity?
    How much baclofen do people usually start on?
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

If the spasticity is interfering with function or safety or hygiene, you need to do something about it. If standing, stretching/ROM, proning, etc. does not help, medications may be needed. Just be sure that your goal with meds is to tone it down, not eliminate it.

(KLD)

Hey november my spasms is also very bad,what i do find helps for me is practising my legs.My helper bends them a few times per day,swiming with a live jacket helps alot cause i can concentrate on my lower body without drowning lol.......i take a half a tablet 3 times daily. using a standing frame also relieves my spasms.

STAND DAILY, do not give up those spasms

Quote Originally Posted by november
    I made an appt to see my doctor Monday and try baclofen again. I know spasticity can be a good thing, but it's to the point it makes stretching my legs hard and I'm unable to do things like lie flat on my back. Even trying to put my legs in a vehicle to transfer has become hard because they don't like to bend and they take time to relax.
    I'm worried that this will all cause contractures.

So what is too much spasticity?
    How much baclofen do people usually start on?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I cancelled that dr appt and just started stretching better. It has helped a lot. I lie on my stomach quite a bit and almost always sleep on my back with legs stretched out now. I also stretch a few times daily. All of that combined has made a huge difference.

Fuentes, it isn't spasms bothering me...it's spasticity.
    They are two different things.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

They are two different things.[/quote]

wats the difference?

cause i have some crazy spasms, sometimes my legs just stick out infront of me after ive sat on the couch for awhile...my friends are like WICKED man...i stopped taking baclofen months ago and have noticed my spasms have increased in frequency nothing that stretching n standing cnt fix..sometimes i wakeup to find legs bent in a feotal position then i just straighten them out then go bak to sleep..doesnt in anyway affect my sleep, only if there was someone next to me...proly feel my knee up their butt hehe
    Last edited by ~McLovin~; 05-22-2008 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by november

They are two different things.
    to me they are the same. standing is the best thing you can do.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Yea, but sometimes daily standing AND rom AND fes bike still aren't enough. My independence depended on lowing my tone (tone = tight muscles, not spasms, the "kicking" part of spasticity). WIth out doing something, I needed help sometimes to dress, transfer safely and definately putting my legs into a car. At t7-8 I shouldn;t have needed help for any of that. My legs were sometimes literally so tight I could not move them alone.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

thanks for that explanation, i think i might have that tone your talking bout. my legs get so tight i'd have to wait till it calms down. so spasms are like when they shake and kick around? what did you do to eleviate that tightness if standing, fes bike and rom isnt enough? you taking baclofen? i stopped taking baclofen cause i felt like i wasnt doing much even after i increased my dose. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    to me they are the same. standing is the best thing you can do.
    But they aren't the same thing.

I don't mind if I have spasms, I know they maintain muscle mass etc.

I do mind when I can't fully straighten my legs out to stretch at times or get in and out of vehicles etc. By not being able to stretch because of high spasticity I'm putting myself at risk of contractures among other things.

I do stand and stretch. I found getting a stretch overnight like lying on my back or stomach has helped more than standing. That is around 8+hrs of stretching with no effort on my part!
    Last edited by november; 05-23-2008 at 04:11 AM.