Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new power chair-recommendations anyone

Time for a new power chair-recommendations anyone

Its time for me to get a new chair. I've been in a quickie power chair with a power recline (no tilt) for 10 years. I'm c-5 and not strong enough to do my own weight shifts (thus the medical justification for the recline).

I'm very use to this style chair, but will likely wind up switching to an invacare chair with a power tilt or recline or both combined. Most preferred providers in my area only deal with invacare, plus I'm almost always in pain or uncomfortable in some way, so I'm hoping a change of brand might help.

I'm looking for recommendations and warnings about everything. I have the ability to spend a little extra of my own money to go outside of the specific lines drawn by the insurance company (that's assuming they ok the basic power chair and recline/tilt).
    thanks

I have a Quickie 646 with tilt and I am pretty happy with it

May I recommend that you don't base your chair decision on what the providors in your area prefer or claim to "only" deal with...Make sure you get the BEST chair for yourself...Demo as many as you can...If you like what you've had and are happy with the type of chair you've had you don't have to go to something completely different just b/c of the vendors you are dealing with. Where are you located? Maybe someone else can suggest a providor to use who's got more experience with different manufacturers for you.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

quickie 646 is discontinued, because its a piece of crap, i have one n its junk,
    (worst anti-tip design ever!)

i'll go with with an arrow storm, at least its solid. if i can justify a new one, i'm using my ti-lite zra mostly now anyway.

I'm in Northwest Ohio,
    what you're saying is kinda what I was talking about with being able to spend extra money outside of providers to get what I want (I would like to try something different from the quickie power recline)... everyone here pushes invacare & I'm not sure how to find anything else within say a couple 100 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Martin_D
    quickie 646 is discontinued, because its a piece of crap, i have one n its junk,
    (worst anti-tip design ever!)

i'll go with with an arrow storm, at least its solid. if i can justify a new one, i'm using my ti-lite zra mostly now anyway.
    WOW! I have a Quickie 636 and have been very happy with it. I go all over my 30 acres. Got a 646 ordered...it's not discontinued...look on their website.
    Brian

Perhaps it is pushed in Ohio since it is built there in Olera (sp?)! More important is whether you want to switch to a midwheel drive wheelchair? They drive differently than a rear wheel drive chair.
    As a side note recline alone for weight shifts is not an ideal setup given current options. Recline alone increase your risk for skin breakdown due to the inherent shearing forces created from the backrest (and your trunk) moving away from the seat (your bottom). Then coming back up from recline your bottom typically is scooted away from the junction of the seat and back causing sacral sitting. I highly recommend tilt in space AND if you use recline then go with recline and elevating legrests as well. Then you can still position yourself for cath'ing.
    I would trial the InvacareTDX-XP, and request the tru-trac system which improves response and drive of wheelchair. It is a midwheel drive which takes a bit of getting used to- but in the end I think you would prefer it over the rear wheel drive for smaller confined space maneuverability.
    There are good rehab chairs now from the primary manufacturers- just inquire and request to trial as many chairs as possible. Lastly, don't let them push you into trialing just their chair of choice- because it just may not be what you want.
    Take Care, Pam OTR/L

I have a midwheel drive Quantum 6000 with tilt feature and like it a lot. I can't do pressure shifts worth a damn, and so far this has helped a lot with both pressure and discomfort. (C5/6)

I am in the same boat, I'm looking for a new power chair too. I am checking out the Quickie S-646 and the Invacare Storm Series Ranger. I have been going back and forth between them, but I have narrowed it down to two.

I like the Invacare because: the joystick setup, the motor I heard was better (lasts longer), the seat to floor height is 17.75, dual toggle for tilt, and the tie down feauture.
    I dislike the invacare because: 70 degree footrest angle, a lot of people have it.

I like the quickie because: the motor is faster, cooler looking design, the rims are better looking, adjustable back height (1 inch), 90 degree foot rest, 9 inch front caster w/suspension.
    I dislike: hear its tippy (see Martrin_D above), dont love the joystick layout, looking into dual toggle for tilt in space (looking into that availability), 18inch front floor to seat height.

Most of these differences are minor, and I definitly want to see/demo these before I commit to anything.

Anyone know which one is more rugged, which one can take a bigger curb. My guess is they are the same...

thanks for starting the thread!

I've used the recline for 13 years & the only pressure sore I've gotten was the result of the hospital leaving me laying on my back too long... so I think it works for me at least.

I'm not comfortable switching into a tilt only chair after being so used to the recline... anyone know of a good recline format... my understanding is that invacare's isn't so great

thanks