Thread: Dr. Wise question; regarding discoveries and science, how much info is shared...

Dr. Wise question; regarding discoveries and science, how much info is shared...

Dr. Wise,
    Hi! I had the oppurtunity to talk to a scientist in Oncology. His team made discovery in Oncology last week.( the one all over news, last week) He said to put it simply..they discovered the lock and now can work to fit key in. He works for a drug company.
    What I am wondering regarding your field and others, like this...as there does seem to be a relation in these fields...how much information is actually shared, to collaberate effort in cures. It seems to me that if everyone has one piece of puzzle, that the search for cures can be further advanced by shared information, right?
    So...is it all about the buck, and trying to be "the one" that advances further. I realize drug companys want to make a profit...but, I also have been told that its not just the drug companys, that want to be the one to reach finish line first.
    I do have the oppurtunity, possibly to tour this company...and my Scientist friend is going to show me, what they do. He told me a true Scientist shares information. But, when it comes to searching for a cure..drug companys have endless dollar amounts and Universitys etc. always have to fight for dollars, and red tape issues. Since, he is employed by drug company...there will be a limit on shared info.
    Is this also true..regarding Universities etc. trying to reach finish line first?

Thank-you again!
    Diana

The spinal cord injury field is the most sharing field in science that I know. Many scientists share information before publication (all scientists try to publish their data because that is how they get credit). I run four workshops a year teaching about 50 scientists per year everything that I know about spinal cord injury. At these workshops, I share all the data that we have. Over the past 10 years, we have trained over 500 spinal cord injury scientists.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by uuudianauuu
    Dr. Wise,
    Hi! I had the oppurtunity to talk to a scientist in Oncology. His team made discovery in Oncology last week.( the one all over news, last week) He said to put it simply..they discovered the lock and now can work to fit key in. He works for a drug company.
    What I am wondering regarding your field and others, like this...as there does seem to be a relation in these fields...how much information is actually shared, to collaberate effort in cures. It seems to me that if everyone has one piece of puzzle, that the search for cures can be further advanced by shared information, right?
    So...is it all about the buck, and trying to be "the one" that advances further. I realize drug companys want to make a profit...but, I also have been told that its not just the drug companys, that want to be the one to reach finish line first.
    I do have the oppurtunity, possibly to tour this company...and my Scientist friend is going to show me, what they do. He told me a true Scientist shares information. But, when it comes to searching for a cure..drug companys have endless dollar amounts and Universitys etc. always have to fight for dollars, and red tape issues. Since, he is employed by drug company...there will be a limit on shared info.
    Is this also true..regarding Universities etc. trying to reach finish line first?

Thank-you again!
    Diana

Thank-you, I do believe you do share information. I am sad, not all fields in medical research do. I am still planning on entering this field, somewhere..I have been very busy with school, trying to reach that goal!
    I do intend on getting as much information everywhere I can get it. (quest for knowledge)
    I will ask Scientist about whether work would be published...I never asked about this. I am sure, there would be a limit to this.. considering whom owns the knowlegde learned at a drug company.
    I was told that even Universities.. have a competitive side, to be the ones that made brake-thru. I never meant you...you have a huge heart, very unselfish! Your intentions are trully genuine and hopefully not unique in the medical field.
    Thank-you a zillion times over!
    Diana

Quote Originally Posted by uuudianauuu
    Thank-you, I do believe you do share information. I am sad, not all fields in medical research do. I am still planning on entering this field, somewhere..I have been very busy with school, trying to reach that goal!
    I do intend on getting as much information everywhere I can get it. (quest for knowledge)
    I will ask Scientist about whether work would be published...I never asked about this. I am sure, there would be a limit to this.. considering whom owns the knowlegde learned at a drug company.
    I was told that even Universities.. have a competitive side, to be the ones that made brake-thru. I never meant you...you have a huge heart, very unselfish! Your intentions are trully genuine and hopefully not unique in the medical field.
    Thank-you a zillion times over!
    Diana
    Diana,

There is some information that is not being shared and not because the scientists don't share but because journals are not interested in publishing. First, most journals are not interested in publishing negative data, i.e. experiments or clinical trials that did not work. Everybody wants to publish things that are successful. So, many of the things that fail never get published. This is bad because you want everybody to know what doesn't work so that they don't waste time. Second, in the United States, there is distrust of what is going on in China and India. Thus, it takes longer and is harder to get information from overseas into the United States. Third, there is a language barrier. Until recently, English was the universal language of science and most people in the United States still believe that this is so. However, many scientsits in the United States don't realize how much is going on overseas that is not being published in English. For example, there are probably as many scientific journals published in Chinese than in English. With a population that is more tha 4 times that of the United States and a veritable army of scientists and clinicians, a lot of work is going on in China. While the top Chinese scientists and clinicians try very hard to publish their best work in western journals, these are really only the tip fo the iceberg. Communication is also slow the other way. Many doctors and scientists in China are several years behind the current literature. I am surprised by the number of Chinese doctors and scientists who are not proficient in English.

Finally, there is one other factor that people don't consider. There is now too much going on for a person to catch up with. In fields that are "hot", no one person can possibly keep up. Even in a relatively slow field, such as spinal cord injury, over 5000 papers are being published a year. When I first started this site, I tried to post the abstract of every relevant paper published in the field. This took several hours a day but I did this for several years. It is now impossible. Over 100 papers are published weekly. There is almost no way of reading all the papers (in the same way, it is no longer possible for me to read all the posts on this site). If one includes stem cells, regeneration research, and other topics (such as science funding), there is no way to keep up. So, scientists like myself depend on news to inform us. This is probably shocking to you.

Wise.

Thank you for your energy!

It's daunting. Thank goodness there are people like you who can prioritize the most relevant stuff. Thank you. Scott.

Thank-you, I appreciate learning this. I am sure you hear of many things from all of your vast sources. I am thinking this is likely how relavent information, ends up at your doorstep.
    What you are doing is so important! I am so grateful, that someone like you cares so much about field.
    I am still planning on ending up somewhere in this field! I want to make a difference and have every intention of doing so! So back to my books!
    Thank-you,
    Diana