Thread: Spring is Here!

Spring is Here!

Spring has finally [albeit kicking and screaming] arrived in NJ. I'm so excited to get back outside and not need 3 hours to warm up after a quick trip to the mall. The lovely weather and excitement for the summer has really got me motivated. So, I decided to make this post for anyone who has a few goals they're looking to accomplish in the coming months. You can keep us updated on your progress here too if you so desire. How am I bringing in the Spring?

- Driving. At the Abilities Expo I was able to try out a H. Element. My natural timid feelings towards driving [pre-injury as well] + the lack of excitement to move to the driver's seat of my van had both contributed to putting off driving. Well, the Element completely sparked my interest and hopefully in the coming months I'll be cruising around in a green Element, windows down, music blasting. [I'm not really sure how long the whole process takes.]

- Getting out. This June will be 2 years since my accident. I feel like I'm finally on the way out of the awkward/transitioning phase. I did get out last summer and enjoyed lots of time at my family's beach house, but I really hope to go above and beyond this summer. The fact that my parents are now comfortable with me going away with my boyfriend [knowing we/he can handle everything] will change things considerably. Also, the fact that I can do much more for myself since last year - I feel much less like a burden when with friends. Also, I celebrated my 21st birthday on March 31st - which I'm sure will contribute to a very different, better summer =].

- Basic Testing. So, I have to take basic skills testing in order to continue receiving credits at my college. Its something I could have done awhile ago, but just kept putting off. This should be done by the end of the month.

- Drink more water! Yes. Some of you may have read my post in "food" about tips and tricks to drink more water and hopefully you guys have got some that will help me out. I'm such a slowww drinker and feel like I get full so quickly.

- ORGANIZE! Much of the stuff from my "old" room got packed up and put into the attic when I came home from rehab. I just never got around to getting my dad to bring stuff down for me to go through and either throw out/add to my new room or give away. This week I finally started doing that. Some people might be saddened by going through their pre-injury stuff, but not me. It's like Christmas!! All this stuff I'd forgotten about/missed! And wow did I have a TON of stuff. This will take awhile.

- Work up the courage to electively get the Mitro procedure done. Terrified isn't even the word. What means "more scared" than terrified? I have no idea, but it's how I feel when I start thinking about it. Probably the MOST scarring memory from this whole ordeal was waking up intubated. Gagging/throwing up is my very least favorite thing in the world. NG tube? HAH. The thought of ELECTIVELY doing this makes me feel crazy. Did I mention how bad of a drinker I am? Imagining a gallon of Go-Lytly makes me shake. Yet, I know in the long run, it would be such a positive change. No more leg bag [yayy] and my lack of drinking wouldn't be such as issue. The independence would be great. But, like I said - I need to work up to this. I hope by next fall/winter to be leg bag free.

- Expand my portfolio. I love doing graphic design/logos/banners ect. Any oppurtunity for me to use one of the many graphics programs I have on my computer is great. Not being classicly trained hinders things a bit, but I'm slowly building a rep.

Well, that's all I've got right now. I may add a thing or two as I think of them. We shall see. Lets hear yours!

"ιn ѕoмe wayѕ ι love everyтнιng. ιт’ѕ leѕѕ oғ a тнιng тнan 'lιĸe'…leѕѕ dιѕтιncт. leѕѕ…parтιcυlar. ι lιĸe тнιngѕ тнaт ι lιĸe вυт ι love everyтнιng. тнere’ѕ мore cнoιce ιn ‘lιĸe’. вecaυѕe even тнe worѕт тнιngѕ нave тнιngѕ тo love ιn тнeм. ι love тнιngѕ ѕo мυcн ι ғeel lιĸe ι coυld ғloaт away."

Great to hear that some of you Northern snowbirds are thawing out. Down South we've had a very mild Winter.. no complaints from me. It's going to be 77 today and my sis, her kids, her friend and kids, my friend and her son are on the way down to spend the day. We'll most likely load up and cruise the lake and have lunch on the dock. The rest of the week is going to be high 70's but Sun's high is 55. That's nice to a lot of you guys but not me, lol!! Bring on the 80's but here the humidity starts to raise sky high. Honestly, I'm use to it and it beats being bundled in a sweatshirt and I'll dust off my floral collection to start sportin' around in.

Weird thing this year is it seems that the pollen has come and gone.. My dogwood and azalaes have been in bloom for atleast 2 weeks now but the pollen is usually terrible and longer lasting. I bet I just jinxed myself saying that. I love driving down the road and seeing all the Spring colors of the dogwoods and azalaes but the blooms are just too short lived..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Sounds like a busy time, still waiting for spring to come here. It's currently 39 and raining, and it's not supposed to get much better the next few days.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

infinity,
    Those sound like great goals! I would love to join you but I have to wait. We received 8 inches of snow on Sunday and are supposed to get 9-15 more inches tonite and tomorrow. I guessing that I will thaw out about 4th of July .

My bad-looked at the avatar and not the name. Sorry!
    Last edited by momo3; 04-11-2008 at 03:11 PM.

Barely thawed out here in the Northeast, but I am starting to dream about my container gardening. Last year I had planters that hung on my balcony railings filled with gorgeous flowers and trailing vines. I have to wait to mid-May to plant so that things don't get wiped out in another frost, but I am thinking about it a lot. Can't wait to get out the plastic and hit the garden center!

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    Great to hear that some of you Northern snowbirds are thawing out. Down South we've had a very mild Winter.. no complaints from me. It's going to be 77 today and my sis, her kids, her friend and kids, my friend and her son are on the way down to spend the day. We'll most likely load up and cruise the lake and have lunch on the dock. The rest of the week is going to be high 70's but Sun's high is 55. That's nice to a lot of you guys but not me, lol!! Bring on the 80's but here the humidity starts to raise sky high. Honestly, I'm use to it and it beats being bundled in a sweatshirt and I'll dust off my floral collection to start sportin' around in.

Weird thing this year is it seems that the pollen has come and gone.. My dogwood and azalaes have been in bloom for atleast 2 weeks now but the pollen is usually terrible and longer lasting. I bet I just jinxed myself saying that. I love driving down the road and seeing all the Spring colors of the dogwoods and azalaes but the blooms are just too short lived..
    Ooh, the lake sounds so nice! My grandparents have a house on the bay at the Jersey Shore. What kind of a boat do you have? How do you get in/out? I'm really trying to figure out an easy way to get in theirs. Normally, I'd just have someone scoop me up, but the boat is a step down from the bulkhead and likes to drift away from the dock as soon as you take a step. I guess I could try having someone hold it as steady as possible against the dock.

"ιn ѕoмe wayѕ ι love everyтнιng. ιт’ѕ leѕѕ oғ a тнιng тнan 'lιĸe'…leѕѕ dιѕтιncт. leѕѕ…parтιcυlar. ι lιĸe тнιngѕ тнaт ι lιĸe вυт ι love everyтнιng. тнere’ѕ мore cнoιce ιn ‘lιĸe’. вecaυѕe even тнe worѕт тнιngѕ нave тнιngѕ тo love ιn тнeм. ι love тнιngѕ ѕo мυcн ι ғeel lιĸe ι coυld ғloaт away."

My dad bought a 24' Tritoon in Feb. I have it on an electric lift where I drop it down even to the dock and someone pulls it toward the dock and I just roll on.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia