Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colonoscopy and Urodynamics -What to expect?

Question Colonoscopy and Urodynamics -What to expect?

I need to go in for a colonoscopy (my brother at age 29 was diagnosed with over 1500 polyps in his colon...he needs his removed...his siblings need to be tested). I have never had one of these done...so I do not know what to expect. Can anybody offer and insight?

I also (finally) am going in for urodynamics. Again...never had this done either. Any insight on this? Thanks to all in advance!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Urodynamics, not so bad especially if you don't have feeling. Everyone will tell you the worst thing about colonoscopy is the prep. I have had 2, you have to drink the horrible stuff then sit on toilet while what seems like the entire content of your insides is disgorged. Follow the prep instructions religiously and do it right the 1st time. The last thing you want is to have to have it redone because you didn't do an adequate prep.

The colonoscopy itself is nothing. It's the prep that's the killer. Especially if you leave it to the last-minute. The bowel must be absolutely clean so they give you Citro Mag that dirverts most of the fluid in your body to your large bowel which causes it to surrender everything so be prepared.

My advice is to go on a juice fast, that is only freshly squeezed vegetable juice, seven days prior and a complete fast three days prior. Of course drink lots of water over that period. The first day and a half of a fast is the tough stretch, after that it's a breeze.

Here's hoping you're polyp free!

Cool

They sedate you for a colonoscopy, so you really aren't even aware they are doing anything. The absoloute worst part of the whole thing is drinking that god awful GoLitely the night before. I had to drink 2 containers of the stuff (I was only able to keep down 1 1/2 containers, though, because it kept aggravating my gag reflex and making me nauseated). Basically, they sedate you, then put a lighted tube in you butthole all the way through your colon. After you wake up from the sedation, you might have what feels like gas pains, but they fade after a while. If you have any polyps, they remove them during the test (unless there are a whole bunch of them).
    Fortunately, since I recently had my colon removed because it was damged, I don't have to have colonoscopies anymore (every so often, my doctor said I might have to have a scope in my ileostomy to make sure there are not any adhesions building up that could cause blockages).

A urodynamics is a piece of cake. Because I can feel some parts of my body, they are a bit uncomfortable for me, but most people on here can't feel anything from the waist down, so it doesn't bother them. Basically, they have you lay on your back and they put a tube in your urethra and another in your rectum (or vagina if you are a girl). Then, they pump water into your bladder. With me, they ask me to tell them when I first feel like I have to pee, then they record it. The rectal tube also measures bladder pressures. Then, as they are pumping me even more with water, they ask again to let them know when I have to pee badly. Finally, when I literally feel like I'm going to explode, I tell them that and they record it. Plus, all through the test, they look for any leakage or high pressures. If you have a mitrofanoff stoma, they also look for leakage through that as well as your urethra. All I know is I am happy when the test is done. If you go to a very fancy facility to get it done, they also hook you up to a camera, so they can see your bladder as its filling. Also, some doctors do the test while sitting up rather than having you lay on your back.
    Let your doctor know if you get AD, because sometimes a urodynamics test will cause symptoms of AD as your bladder is filling.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Jessie

Colonoscopy; the prep will produce an intermittent mud slide of shit oozing out of your asshole for a few hours. I was fortunate enough to get admitted to the hospital for the night. They also inserted a Malencott tube in my asshole once the stool became very liquid-like. It basically drained the watery shit into a bedside drainage bag. The colonoscopy was painless. I asked them to lay off the drugs so I could watch. My blood pressure became elevated when they had difficulty advancing the scope into my cecum so they gave me some drug and my pressure came down.
    Urodynamics; if you look up "contraption" in the dictionary, no doubt a picture of the urodynamics device will appear. I hated it. Got placed on the device and jacked up in the air. Some broad grabbed me by the dick, jammed a catheter into my bladder, stuffed something else into my asshole and then filled my bladder with fluid. The doctor was at a console asking me my name, my address, telephone...etc. I was sweating bullets from a full bladder and hard surface I was sitting on. It was a bad joke. I stopped the test and told them I'd answer their stupid questions when I was done with the test and in a more dignified position. That doctor was an asshole. Needless to say, I'm not a big fan of the test although it should be done.

2nd what Jessie said about AD with urodynamics. I don;t usually get it, but had some minor ad during the test. Other than that it wasn;t that big a deal. I had it done lying on a bed in the examining area.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

urodynamics: first time i had it done was lying down w/that fancy camera thing that jessie mentioned. 2nd time, they put the tubes in when lying down then was transferred onto a toilet while they pumped in the water and recorded their data. then i just leaked when my bladder couldn't hold anymore. btw, you can't do it if you have a UTI. also, first they give you an anti-biotic and cath you.
    can't believe you didn't have one done in rehab?!

I couldn't imagine how to handle the prep at home so my doc "let" me stay overnight in the hospital so they could "help" me. Their ideas were a hard seated commode chair w/no cutout , or a hard bedpan which both almost lead to a pressure sore considering all the time you have to spend there. Or a diaper which I had to yell for them over and over to deal with so I wouldn't get a UTI sitting in a mess (after I emphatically prepared them that it would be dangerous for me.) They said they didn't have any other commode chair in the hospital and brought me a worthless blowup "donut" they give the maternity patients to sit on, but that "I would have to pay for it!"

So I highly recommend you call and talk to the nurses on the floor you will be staying on and ask them how they handle colonoscopy prep for for sci/ paralyzed, neurogenic bowel patients. At the very minimum they could have a padded commode seat w/ a cutout or bring your own pad and transfer to the toilet in the bathroom if you can. The only positive was that my husband didn't have to do the dirty work and that I can wait 3 more years till my next one.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    Colonoscopy; the prep will produce an intermittent mud slide of shit oozing out of your asshole for a few hours.
    Regardless of who are next president is, I think you should be our next poet laureate.

Keep on tellin' it like it is, smo bro!

Quote Originally Posted by mimin
    can't believe you didn't have one done in rehab?!
    I am not SCI...I have a spinal cord disease...so we do not get rehab. A lot of this you learn on your own...hence why care cure is so valuable to me. I get to lose function every day (at least it seems like it to me) and at least I have somewhere to go for information like this.

Thanks all for your help!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss