Thread: Melbourne Calling

Melbourne Calling

hi everyone,

my name is effie.

my brother recently had a motorbike accident (29th feb 2008) and broke his c5 and c6 verterbrae making him also a quadriplegic. He was in ICU for about 10 days in an induced coma, and is now still in hospital, but out of ICU.

We are all slowly dealing with this, but what is making us pull thru is the fact that he has a positive attitude and cant wait to get to rehab and start working his ass off.

he has really faint sensation in his legs, but doctors said that with working it at rehab he will regain more sensation, but no motor..we are hoping that motor come back and he can beat the odds...

my brother is as stubborn as a mule, so lets hope he uses some of this stubborness and rehab...

we are in melbourne australia, is there any other aussies on these forums? is there anyone else from a greek background also? would love to chat and with anyone for that matter!!!

i met a couple on the apparelyzed forurms, thats where i heard about carecure community.

its great to read information and learn things. thanks to everyone.

xx
    eff
    "You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do." --Eleanor Roosevelt

Welcome to our forums. As we always say, we are sorry you had to find us, but glad you did!

It is way too early to say that your brother will not get any motor return. The fact that he has some sensory return already actually makes it more likely that he will eventually get something back motor-wise below the level of his injury. Can you ask the doctors what his actual level of injury and ASIA category is now? Does he have anal sensation? This would mean that his injury is officially incomplete, and that is very good at this point.

Regardless, it is critical that he get into a good SCI rehabilitation center ASAP and learn how to take care of himself to maximize any return he gets and stay as healthy as possible. We do have some Aussies here on our forums. Have you explored the available SCI centers there? I am sure they could make some recommendations.

Right now, be sure he is getting proper range of motion, with focus on his shoulders and elbows, and that everything is being done by the nurses to prevent pressure ulcers. Good nutrition is also critical at this stage.

(KLD)

hey there, yes thank god i found you but sad that i did at the same time.
    well as we speak my brother is being transferred to a rehab facility here in melbourne.

he cant wait to get there and start working straight away! he has a really positive attitude, but seems to think that even though my mum is his carer he will not need her 24/7 but we all know that he will, he just has to work it out for himself.

what do u mean by ASIA category?

i dont think he has anal sensation because he did a number 2 by accident without noticing, this is before they gave him the medication to start controlling his bowel movements.

the nurses at the hospital that my brother was in is one of the best you can be in here in melbourne, nurses are A class and so are the doctors. my brother had a social worker see him daily and nutritionist and nurses attend to his every beck and call.

now the hard work begins...we are all trying to hang in there for him.

im going to visit him 2nite...

any advice i would love..
    x
    xoxoo thanks again
    "You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do." --Eleanor Roosevelt

I would recommend that you and your family read some of the articles written by Dr. Wise Young (who is the administrator of this site). They can be accessed from the home page, but here are a few that will help especially right now:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?pag...nalLevels.html

http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?pag...adjustment.htm

http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?pag...3@AcuteSCI.htm

You can also print these out and share them with your brother. Get him on-line to join us as soon as possible as well.

Ask any questions you have...that's what we are here for.

(KLD)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT INFO

went and saw my bro in rehab..he cant wait to get stuck in, he gets his diary tomorrow, and the work begins!!!