Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Grassroots Activists See Call In Guide

Grassroots Activists See Call In Guide

I took the night owl from Boston to DC to attend the researchers’ presentations yesterday and took the night owl back to Boston last night.

All I can say is WOW! You must read Kate’s blog but to be there and hear these dedicated doctors and researchers speak about what they are doing for this community is more than awe inspiring, it can almost make one giddy. These great minds are not to be denied and the profound discoveries they have made and want to bring to clinical trial will change the history of paralysis.

But they need our help NOW! They want to cure paralysis NOW! They are dedicating their life work to this community.

NOW …tomorrow on April 15th when your friends are pounding the hallways of Congress for the passage of the Christopher and Dan Reeve Paralysis Act, asking for funding of research for the cure and bearing their souls by telling of their personal stories to total a strangers, I believe EVERYONE in this community has a moral responsibility to CALL their senators

THIS BILL NEEDS COSPONSOR TO GET A FULL SENATE VOTE!!

DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER.
    YOU DESERVE THE RIGHT TO HAVE RESEARCH FUNDED!!
    YOU DESERVE THE RIGHT TO HAVE CLINICAL TRIALS HERE IN THE US!
    YOU DESERVE THIS BUT NO ONE IS JUST GOING TO GIVE IT TO YOU.

Now start today and contact everyone you know and tell them to call their US Senators AND TO COSPONSOR Senate Bill S. 1183.
    That is only two calls per person. Cut and post the info on the guide I posted in ANNOUNCEMENTS.

NOW IS YOUR CHANCE TO BE HEARD!

DAMN IT, THERE ARE LITTLE CHILDREN IN WHEELCHAIRS IN DC RIGHT NOW ADVOCATING FOR A BETTER FUTURE.

IT BREAKS MY HEART TO SEE ANYONE IN A CHAIR OR SUFFERING FROM PARALYSIS ESPECIALLY A LITTLE CHILD AND I FOR ONE WILL NOT STAND BY AND WATCH AND DO NOTHING.

PICK UP THAT PHONE TOMORROW AND JUST MAKE THE CALLS. Do the right thing!

Last edited by bostondad; 04-14-2008 at 04:42 PM.

For more information, please go to the Calendar (where I have copied the Schedule of the Rally for Cure in Washington DC) or go to http://www.working2walk.org/W2W08Schedule.htm

There will be a symposium on Sunday (April 13) featuring a number of prominent scientists. On Monday (April 14), there will be speakers talking about stem cells complementary and real-time therapies, and a legislative briefing and a banquet.
    Please register at http://www.working2walk.org/. This year, the symposium will be held at the Kellogg Conference Hotel located at Galludet University. http://www.kelloggconferencehotel.com/

On Tuesday (Apr 15), the advocates will go meet their legislators. If you are planning to come, please call your legislator to make an appointment. We are very close to convincing the Senate to get the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act passed by the Senate. The House of Representatives has already passed the bill. So, if the Senate passes it, this will mean that NIH would get $300 million over 3 years to support therapy development to reverse paralysis.

If you cannot come, you can call your legislators, tell them that you support the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act, and let them know that the Rally for Cure is going on. April 15 is the day when the advocates are planning to visit their legislators.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 04-09-2008 at 05:13 PM.

Thank you, Bostondad, Wise.

For clarification:

The congressional briefing, "Working 2 Walk: Rapid Advancements in Paralysis Research" will be held Tuesday, April 15, 2008 in the Cannon House Office Building on US Capitol Hill.

We are grateful to all of our scientists (Drs. Archibald (Integra LifeSciences), Davies (U of Colorado), Hurtt (Alseres), Pearse (Miami Project), and Young (Rutgers) for staying for the duration of W2W to join us on Capitol Hill to share their research with congress. A special thank you to Dr. Wise Young for moderating the briefing.

Let's help them spread their message and that of the advocates on the Hill that day by participating in the call in if you cannot be there in person.

Can you email anyone if you are outside the US

Hi would love to help other than emailing the US embassy in Ireland is there anybody else I could contact, that would actually do any good.

I am sure there are other non US CC members who would like to add their voice if pointed in the right direction.

Thanks Bostondad!

For those that can't make it to Capitol Hill, this is the perfect opportunity to support the efforts of those that have committed themselves to personally getting our message to legislators. Advocates will be waiting in the reception area of their legislators and will be within earshot of the person answering your calls. By calling you're amplifying our message to legislators and at the same time, you will let advocates know you're supporting their efforts. It would be wonderful to arrive and know that the phones have been ringing off the hook. It sets the stage for visits and is empowering for advocates working on the hill.
    "Our lives begin to end the day
    we become silent about things that matter."
    - Martin Luther King Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Susan M
    Thank you, Bostondad, Wise.

For clarification:

The congressional briefing, "Working 2 Walk: Rapid Advancements in Paralysis Research" will be held Tuesday, April 15, 2008 in the Cannon House Office Building on US Capitol Hill.

We are grateful to all of our scientists (Drs. Archibald (Integra LifeSciences), Davies (U of Colorado), Hurtt (Alseres), Pearse (Miami Project), and Young (Rutgers) for staying for the duration of W2W to join us on Capitol Hill to share their research with congress. A special thank you to Dr. Wise Young for moderating the briefing.

Let's help them spread their message and that of the advocates on the Hill that day by participating in the call in if you cannot be there in person.

Thanks, Sue.

Wise.

If people can't go, they should write or call their representatives. thanks. Wise.

How much pressure would it take for Senator Coburn to turn?

This is astonishing. The bill has passed the House. It would pass the Senate if it could get to the floor. It can't get to the floor because one guy -- one guy! -- has reservations about "micro-managing" the NIH.

Know what? I think we could get him to turn. Senators do not like it when their phones ring off the hook with citizens complaining about their decisions.

Let's try. Call his office and ask that he let the bill go to a vote. Then call your Senator's office and ask that your senator call him. We don't know how many phone calls it would take to turn him, because we've never tried this.

Hey, Senator Coburn. I'm a citizen of the USA, and I'm asking you to allow the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act get an up or down vote on the floor of the senate.

Here's his number: 202-224-5754

I'm doing it right now. I'll let you know what happens.

That was easy.

A very nice man answered. I told him I live in Washington state and that I understand that Senator Coburn has placed a hold on the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act.

He said he thought that was right.

I said please ask him to remove the hold and allow an up or down vote.

He said he'd get the message passed along.
    And if I'm the only doofus who makes this call between now and next Tuesday, nothing will happen . . . but if 500 other people join me . . . we'd at least be harder to ignore.

I think I'll call him back on Monday to see if he's changed his mind yet.
    Here's his number: 202-224-5754
    Last edited by kate; 04-11-2008 at 12:24 PM. Reason: revise

So Kate has taken to calling the Black Hole, has she?

Seriously, Kate is right. It's time to mess with this man. I hope those in DC this week will make a nuisance of themselves, as well. The guy has appointed himself One-Man Veto Power. He thinks he's part of the Holy Trinity-You know them? Coburn, George W. Bush and God. In that order!