Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Grassroots Activists See Call In Guide

I don't know Coburn or what he's like but I don't want a penny of tax payers money going to fund embryo stem cell research and if that is hidden in this bill then I agree with him. I don't trust any of the Senators listed that are for this bill, to left and that include the socially left republican Senators on that list.

Something has got to be hidden in this bill for this guy to act this way.

Way to pay attention there! Politicians must love you.

CDRPA contains no funding for embryonic stem cell research. None, nada, unrelated. Sen. Coburn was sent from on high to cut pork, that is his objection, he is opposed to funding this bill. He also feels the NIH should direct their own spending.

Quote Originally Posted by armalite
    I don't know Coburn or what he's like but I don't want a penny of tax payers money going to fund embryo stem cell research and if that is hidden in this bill then I agree with him. I don't trust any of the Senators listed that are for this bill, to left and that include the socially left republican Senators on that list.

Something has got to be hidden in this bill for this guy to act this way.
    Senator Lindsey Graham supports the bill, and he is both pro-life and opposes ESC research.

Sadly, his Senate partner (Jim DeMint) is Coburn Jr. when it comes to what they see as pork.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

For Your Reading Pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    Way to pay attention there! Politicians must love you.

CDRPA contains no funding for embryonic stem cell research. None, nada, unrelated. Sen. Coburn was sent from on high to cut pork, that is his objection, he is opposed to funding this bill. He also feels the NIH should direct their own spending.
    I never said I understood this bill. I do pay attention to politicians and when I see the usual suspects supporting something then I tend to mistrust them, sorry not a big fan of the libs whether they be Dems or Repubs. I also have a HUGE problem with the government sending BILLIONS of dollars to Africa for AIDS when they should use that money to here at home and 300 million isn't much out of the billions they give away!

I emailed my Senator.
    No reply yet.
    Then I called & got the receptionist.
    He said he'd pass the message on.
    I sure hope so.

Mona
    Last edited by Mona~on~wheels; 04-14-2008 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake
    Wise, does it work now? I can't view my signature.
    Cheese, it is working. Wise.

Betheny, we (I) really miss you.

Regarding Coburn, I don't think that people should stop calling him. But, if they do call, people should be very courteous and respectful.

I believe that Coburn thinks that he is doing the right thing for the United States. He is obviously getting not only cover but encouragement from the rest of the Republicans, if he is ineed holding up a large number of bills. He is getting away with it because people are afraid to take him on. The only reason is because an individual democratic senator don't want the retaliation from the Republicans. That must be the main reason.

Tomorrow, we are going to speak at a legislative briefing and then go visit representatives and senators.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    Cheese-It worked. Yeah, good luck with reasoning with Coburn, Wise. Maybe he would at least speak with you, since he is a doctor, too. If you do, he prefers to be called Dr. Coburn, not Senator. I actually voted for him once. I liked the fact that he was a maverick, and has courage of conviction. I didn't understand how that would translate into pigheaded.

His office (Courtney Cox) told me in December that Coburn would let the CDRPA through, if I could get Sen. Harkin's office to find a place to take the funding from. A few problems with that...I'm not a constituent of Harkin's. His office has no need to deal with me. Also, since there is no actual funding tied to the CDRPA (it is an earmark) the suggestion just makes no sense.

Coburn sent a letter to all the Senators in December, suggesting that if any of them wanted their bills passed, they just submit them to him first, for his approval. WSJ: "...This month, Dr. Coburn sent out a letter encouraging senators to talk to him about legislation they wanted to complete. That had some Democrats muttering about a "tyranny of one."..."

WTF??????? How are the egos of the Senate letting this happen? They're kowtowing to him as he appoints himself veto power. They've let some hick Okie become their boss! The whole "hold" system was a good-old boy quick solution, prime for abuse. Didn't take Coburn long to latch onto it and make it his own...and make the United States Senate (and by extension, the entire nation and every American reading this post) his bitch.

WSJ on holds: "...Dr. Coburn's weapon of choice is the "hold," a procedural maneuver that allows a single senator to prevent a bill from being passed quickly without a roll-call vote or floor debate. Until a rule change this year, senators could keep their holds secret, and they usually did. Dr. Coburn notifies colleagues about his intentions..."

I am so very frustrated...I've been in his office 3 years in a row, yet never laid eyes on him. He doesn't make appointments with constituents here in OK; he comes home to practice medicine, not politics. And a lot of people here think he's a hero. They think I deserve to be in a wheelchair for one dumb move, and I reckon the rest of you are condemned as well, if only for my stupidity. They think he's blocking pork, and that's all they care about.

FWIW: Coburn kept his holds secret until they started making them public, this year. I was calling his office like a dumbass, wanted to know who blocked that bill in the 11th hour, the last time it came out of committee. They never told me it was him. He's not some stand-up guy that always supported full disclosure, like that article makes it sound. Hardly.

Edited to take out my extreme pessimism re this new approach of simply gaining the support of 99 other Senators, for the sake of those in DC trying their hearts out. You guys don't need me peeing on your parade, so I shall try not to do so.

Coburn's explaination

I called twice this morning, the first call was just to increase the volume of calls for our goal, where I talk to someone named Clay, somehow it felt that call didn't have any weight.
    So, I called again, same person answered, this time persisted to talk to Mr. Coburn, first he said, Mr. Coburn isn't available then all of a sudden, to my surprise he said he will try to put me through to his desk, I was expecting some voice mail, but someone answered the phone claiming to be Coburn, since I don't know his voice I'm not sure if it was him or not, anyway, I asked him what's the reason for putting a hold on C & D Reeve paral. act?
    He answered, we try to make sure that all diseases get equally the same funding and attention according to their needs, my answer was: If there is any disease/injury that needs any funding and attn. SCI is the one. Out of a million reasons I'll give you two off the top of my head.
    #1) Being paralyzed is not just about not being able to walk, but, lack of independence, nonfunctional B&B, Vent dependent, pressure sores, UTI and other infections, family dissolving, etc...
    #2) SCI is one of the most under funded cases, so if you are talking about justice from your conscience, here's your chance to exercise one.
    I think it will a better justice if the bill can be voted from a number of people rather than being held back from one person.
    His answer was: I'll see what I can do...
    Last edited by vito; 04-14-2008 at 10:36 PM.

Vito...Very Cool

Vito,
    If in fact you spoke with the Senator it sounds like you did a tremendous job of rationally describing the need for this bill. and I commend you for the effort. "I'll see what I can do" is in my opinion a big step in the right direction. Very, very cool. Thank you for stepping up.