Thread: Laying On Of Hands?

Laying On Of Hands?

In the current issue of PN News (PVA's maagazine) there's an article on the power of the healing touch, even for SCI. The atory focuses on Kurt Hach who claims his healing energy can at least relieve pain and, in some cases, restore appreciable function. As an example, jockey Bill Shoemaker who sustained a cervical injury in a car crash was treated several times by Hach. Shoemaker was able to wiggle his toes and better lift his arms. Another recently treated person allegedly regained some function 39 years post. It's an interesting and intriguing read. Makes one want to reach out for the laying on of hands.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Any luck with this?

Hard to get PT/OT to touch me. I had to demand stretch and ROM before they'd watch me do exercise.
    Since I can exercise solo, stretch and ROM seems the only reason I need PT/OT.
    At my hospital, all the good OT/PT's have left. Remaining and new ones are lazy as hell.

Massage places near me want a yearly contract subscription that I can't afford.
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Hard to get PT/OT to touch me. I had to demand stretch and ROM before they'd watch me do exercise.
    Since I can exercise solo, stretch and ROM seems the only reason I need PT/OT.t
    At my hospital, all the good OT/PT's have left. Remaining and new ones are lazy as hell.

Massage places near me want a yearly contract subscription that I can't afford.
    I, too, have encountered many lazy PTs in my day. As to the Massage yearly contract... ourageous. I never heard of such a thing and I was a massage therapist. Keep looking, and you may find someone.

I believe this therapy is a form of healing or therapeutic touch, which I dabbled in when in grad school in the 1980s. The technique actually does not involved touching the subject, but putting hands very close to their body to alter energy fields. It is a popular holistic practice used by many who are involved in the holistic/complementary therapy field, and nurses are the leading practitioners. I have used it for pain management, but never heard of anyone attempting or claiming that it could cure SCI. Here is a little information about it: https://therapeutictouch.org/

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Putting the hands on the spine, one at the base of the skull and one at the tailbone, sounds like craniosacral therapy. Before I knew I had MS, I went to a craniosacral therapist for pain and tingling in my neck and arms, and it helped for awhile - as my condition worsened, it didn't work as well and I quit going. There is definitely comfort, and often pain relief, in such gentle practices. I learned Therapeutic Touch from a student of its cofounder, Dolores Krieger, and find it very useful for stress and to take the edge off pain. There's a team of nurses at my local hospital who offer it to inpatients. It would be astonishing if cures for SCI resulted from such practices, and I don't know of anyone who would seriously make that kind of claim - but there's a lot to be said for comfort care.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions