Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 2nd cycle

Quote Originally Posted by donz
    Take them or leave them. 5 Decent Tips I think any SCI'd human body could benefit from (at least mine does).

1. Target muscles anyway possible. Something like this resistance band is all I use to work out.

2. Work on targetting whole muscle groups near muscles with slight movement.

3. Stay natural and avoid developing any psychological problems due to the fact that you feel if you quit, you'll deflate.

4. All that dieting crap which basically comes down to having a good source of fiber daily and drinking alot of water. If you want to bulk up, eat more protein and do less cardio. Also, nothing that tastes good is all that healthy. When I want to eat crap, I go all out; for the most part, I eat healthy though. Spread meals out, don't eat too much in one sitting. I try to stay on the light side because it makes me feel better.

5. This may not be possible for some, but I think sleeping on my stomach every night, with a few exceptions, helps for stretching and blood flow.

And with that, I fully expect to be labeled the 2nd bitch of the thread.
    Those are very good tips and drinking alot of water will also make you feel full so you wont eat as much. Also by eating small meals 4 or 5 times a day will keep your metabolism up also and keep away from the sugar and junk food and pop. There is room only for one bitch and that spot is taken LOL so its all good donz. If you have anymore good tips please post them we are all here to help each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi
    I too think protein powder is gross and makes me gag, but I was told to try Virtually Tasteless http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/any.html and it's not sooo bad. I tried mixing it with yogurt -- I don't recommend that. Instead I make a shake out of it. A cup of milk and I will add some fruit and ice to it to hide the chalky taste of it. It's actually pretty damn good that way. For even more protein I have added peanut butter with a banana. That one is YUMMY. I drink one once a day or try to as one of my meals.

I started working out again 3 weeks ago on my gym and free weights. I also do hand bike first thing when I get up and at night I ride a pedal bike for my legs and do some weight exercises in bed with 200-400 crunches depening on how tired I am. I also have a speed bag, but haven't hit that in a while. I feel great. I am battling a cold this week, but still hitting the gym.

I want to work on my triceps more than anything so do you guys have any tips for those? I want to tone more than build up big muscles while remaining my strength.
    Hi kristi sounds like you do alot thats great. I found a few links that might help http://www.etricep.com/ also http://www.tricepworkout.net/ http://www.shapefit.com/triceps-work...dvanced-3.html i hope this helps you abit.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I work out 3 days a week for 3 hours in the morning. I drink a protein shake in the mornings for breakfast after I work out. I used to drink a protein shake every morning and night but I was afraid the protein would turn to fat.
    Do you think the protein turns to fat if you haven't just worked out?
    I am sure with the little I eat that my protein intake is minimal with out supplements.
    Thanks.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52
    I work out 3 days a week for 3 hours in the morning. I drink a protein shake in the mornings for breakfast after I work out. I used to drink a protein shake every morning and night but I was afraid the protein would turn to fat.
    I am sure with the little I eat that my protein intake is minimal with out supplements.
    Thanks.
    You should be taking in protein everyday regardless. But if you dont workout and drink shakes you can gain weight from it. I have a shake every morning then at lunch and another at supper time and i take one to bed with me when i wake up in the middle of the night i have it. I workout alot and do alot of cardio so for me i need to take in alot of protein.

i think everyone should supp protein especially if sci. the exception being high quads who do nothing. i do 3 shakes per day as well. like kelly i lift and do alot of cardio.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52
    Thanks.
    if you can afford it, casein protein at night is better because it's slow digesting, leading to less fat gain as you sleep while your body "fasts". and if at all possible (you can generally train your body to make it possible) you want a protein supplement -whey- about 30 minutes before your workout and a blend of protein and simple carbs, i.e. white bread or sugars, which help the protein and nutrients absorb more effectively, within 30 minutes after your workout. whey is absorbed into your body much quicker than casein. best protein comes from whole foods, with supplements adding additional benefits and quicker/easier access.
    working every day to get out of my chair.

great points tmorris. i just assume ppl know those points. to clearify, i take casein for my nighttime shake and blended protein fore my other 2 shakes[bsn syntha 6]. im not big on straight whey
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

yeah i like syntha 6 too. i was taking an optimum nutrition whey before my accident, and started the bsn protein after. i've put good pounds back on with it.
    working every day to get out of my chair.